Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you don't feel any need to play a game anymore, go ahead and trade it. They'll never know and you'll have been buying games for another ten years.

If your kids wind up liking games, they'll be thrilled to play almost anything on your shelf when the time comes. Keep your favorites and put the rest up for trade.

Things you should not get rid of are: lego, blocks, real metal tonka trucks and your very best matchbox cars. I've never forgiven my own parents for purging their basement and I subsequently spent about a bajillion dollars buying them for my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous poster. I would only keep games that are very special in some way, particularly if they would be very hard or expensive to reacquire (in my case, Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit and Die Schlacht der Dinosaurier, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How do any of you parents out there know what is worth hanging on to?

I'm with you, man. I've got over 350 games and a ton are there because, "Well, he will want to play this with me one day."

My son is now 12, so we are cracking the GMT stuff I've had for years sitting there. It's pretty cool.

So, as others have said, the stance is pretty impractical and emotional. Maybe your kids will never want to play these things.

On the other hand, playing the copy of War of the Ring or Twilight Struggle that has been taking up space for years with my son is pretty awesome.

Not much practical help, I know, but my romantic advice is if you have the space, hold on to them. There is something to said about anticipation. The potential gave me happiness in something to look forward to, and although my kids won't play them all, the ones we have gotten to have justified the space.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love the future and the possibilities it can bring, I think we should hold the future to the same regards as we do the past- that is to say, not to dwell on either of them.

It's good to learn from the past, and plan for the future, but fearing that your child may never experience a particular game is actually the opposite of foresight. Keep playing games until one absolutely strikes a chord with you as something to be shared with your loved ones- not out of fear, but out of shared experience.

I have a sealed copy of The Little Prince Pop-Up book I have no doubt in my mind I will want to save for my own kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't project too much on to your kids (not saying you are). But otherwise hold on to games for as long as you want to, provided you have the space to do so.

Why not, after all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a lot of games to store. I agree, keep lots but not all.

You will never know what your kids will like, or dislike. I like deckbuilders, turns out my son prefers games like Twilight Imperium.

Keep the ones that you enjoy and can express enthusiasm for. Some games are classics, and deserve a shelf spot, others are just run of the mill and could probably find new homes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.