United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some rules:
1) Keep it clean...this isn't RSP.
2) This should be about board games.
3) Please don't say expansions, edition changes, or rethemes are like the base game (and vise versa).

The point of this thread to expand exposure of games you may want others to try.

So I'll start it off.

Pandemic is like Castle Panic because they are both co-op games and they rely on communicating about the best plan of action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I compare a game to something else that is not a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
EBWonder wrote:
Pandemic is like Castle Panic because they are both co-op games and they rely on communicating about the best plan of action.

Isn't that all co-op games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly: Star Wars Episode I is like Monopoly: Star Wars because they are the same game with different pasted on theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe is like Alhambra because you will need to pay attention to what stocks/buildings others are collecting in order to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perrygf wrote:
EBWonder wrote:

Isn't that all co-op games?

Not really. In games like Shadows over Camelot there are things one player may not want to happen.

You could say that Agricola is like Catan because you have to resource manage things like wool/sheep. Somebody who might like Settlers might like Argicola (or Caverna) as well.

Broadstorm wrote:

As long as it's clean. Please remember that this is something that I'd rather not have in RSP.

Martin518 wrote:

Monopoly: Star Wars Episode I is like Monopoly: Star Wars because they are the same game with different pasted on theme

Quote:
3) Please don't say expansions, edition changes, or rethemes are like the base game (and vise versa).

Pasted themes do not change the game. If all you will play is Monopoly, does it matter what the theme is? To be all honest, almost every version of Monopoly is the same.

The point of the thread is to encourage discussion on what games you might recommend to one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EBWonder wrote:
Not really. In games like Shadows over Camelot there are things one player may not want to happen.

But Shadows Over Camelot still relies on the players communicating about the best course of action. In fact, moreso than other co-ops, Shadows can use that sort of determination to root out the traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is like UNO because they both use cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll concede on that point. Communication is important in every (although there may be exceptions) game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Bass
United States
Morristown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter is like Chess because they both have a king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai is like King of Tokyo because the best way to get points is to take control of Edo / Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
See also: If you liked THIS you might also like THIS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone is like Dominion only with theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
EBWonder wrote:

Broadstorm wrote:

As long as it's clean. Please remember that this is something that I'd rather not have in RSP.

no problem there

I was just going to say that Star Trek: Attack Wing, with its numerous card interactions that took the FAQ to over 200 edits before it conveniently got reset, is like those military diagrams that get attention for being so difficult to interpret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars is well known to be like Chaos in the Old World, but it is also like Cave Evil for the same reasons. They all are supernatural evil themed games with asymmetric factions changing the board over the course of the game and clashing with each other. In these clashes these factions attain new abilities and minions which deepen the asymmetry and the threat of each faction, pushing the game towards a crescendo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Barrington
msg tools
Re: ...is like...because...
Iron Dragon is like Yedo because random events can ruin your whole day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.