Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Curiositie Shoppe with No Money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
efc bomber
msg tools
Can somebody please clarify this for me.

If you end your movement phase at the Curiositie Shoppe but have no money, can you still choose to draw the three cards and make no purchase? Or do you have to resolve a location encounter?

If you draw are you compelled to purchase an item if there is nothing you really want? Or can you return all 3?

The final example which makes me think it must be optional: you have $4, but the three cards you draw are all $5 or more. I guess you just return all three cards?

I guess it comes down to whether the "MAY" part of the text refers to just the drawing or also to the prurchasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, you cannot use the special ability if you have no money, unless you have the Credit Rating skill or some other item that would allow you to take items without paying for them. You also must purchase an item if you have sufficient money to do so.

From the AH Faq:

Quote:
Q: How exactly do location special abilities work?
A: The investigator may use the printed action on a location rather than draw an encounter card for that location during the Arkham Encounters Phase. An investigator may only use a location’s special ability if he is able to meet the ability’s requirements (either have at least $1 to shop with, or have the necessary Clue tokens, gates trophies, or monster trophies to spend, etc.). In other words, players cannot use the special ability of a location if they cannot actually resolve it. (Note: although some Common Items in the Dunwich Horror expansion cost $0, investigators still need at least $1 to use the special ability in the General Store. Also, if an investigator has the Credit Rating skill [KH], Mask of Vice Exhibit Item [CotDP(R)], or any other ability that would allow him to acquire or purchase items forsale without using money tokens, he does not need at least $1 to use a location ability that requires spending money.)

Quote:
Q: Why wouldn’t investigators just camp out at the Curiositie Shoppe and buy the four elder signs?
A: If an investigator shops at the Curiositie Shoppe or General Store, the investigator must purchase one of the three items drawn if he or she has enough money to do so. The other two items drawn are discarded to the bottom of the deck. This makes it significantly harder to “browse” the Unique Item deck looking for elder signs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "mandatory purchase" part is interesting. I've DEFINITELY played that wrong dozens of times. It's just been standard operating procedure for me to send Monterey Jack to the Curiositie Shoppe to churn the deck for Elder Signs.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glweston wrote:
The "mandatory purchase" part is interesting. I've DEFINITELY played that wrong dozens of times. It's just been standard operating procedure for me to send Monterey Jack to the Curiositie Shoppe to churn the deck for Elder Signs.

Thanks for setting me straight.
Those must've been easy games (unless your shuffling is insanely unlucky)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daa1982
Canada
Ontario, Canada
flag msg tools
Has anybody found that camping out the shops a worthy use of time? If the rules are being misinterpreted, that is.

I'd feel like I was letting things on the board going on without that investigator, helping with clues gathering and monster hunting, wouldn't be worth it.

I guess it depends how many investigators you've got out and that sweet gamble of getting an Elder Sign would be tempting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
efc bomber
msg tools
Thanks for the clarification.

I wasn't looking to camp out. I had an investigator on there already, with a monster on the Northside streets. It was obvious the GOO would awaken in a turn or two. It was really just a case of trying to stay there for one turn and avoid the monster, and also avoid the location encounter if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daa1982 daa1982,

After more than 100 games, I have NEVER found it a good tactic to remain in any of the shops, unless you're playing "Ashcan" Pete, you know something was just placed on the bottom of a particular deck, and you have the requisite amount of money.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
In addition to playing by the rules as quoted above, we have a house rule that if you try to shop at one of the stores and CAN'T buy anything, you get kicked out to the street. We call it the "angry shopkeeper" rule.

Why? Because we delight in making Arkham Horror as difficult as possible. It's one of the few games that we find as fun to lose as it is to win. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
efc bomber
msg tools
Stewi wrote:
In addition to playing by the rules as quoted above, we have a house rule that if you try to shop at one of the stores and CAN'T buy anything, you get kicked out to the street. We call it the "angry shopkeeper" rule.

Why? Because we delight in making Arkham Horror as difficult as possible. It's one of the few games that we find as fun to lose as it is to win. =)

I like this rule! I used to work in retail as a teenager and wished I could have kicked out some of the tire-kickers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
efcbomber wrote:
Stewi wrote:

I like this rule! I used to work in retail as a teenager and wished I could have kicked out some of the tire-kickers

I love that house rule as well Definitely going to try it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like that house rule. It allows for players to either gain an item, or win a free movement point for next turn. Sure, it could be bad with monsters in the street or flyers waiting in the sky, but to me it looks like a win-win/abusable rule.

Besides, "angry shopkeeper"? Who hasn't gone into a store honestly wanting to buy something, but then finding that all they have is just beyond your budget? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.