Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know why the hotness all of a sudden?

Game does look good though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:

because someone somehow had a bunch of new copies for sale here on BGG as low as $20 w/free shipping... someone else shilled the MP seller over in hot deals forum and hence probably why the hotness (which I believe means folks hitting this game's page on BGG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
bchlax944 wrote:

because someone somehow had a bunch of new copies for sale here on BGG as low as $20 w/free shipping... someone else shilled the MP seller over in hot deals forum and hence probably why the hotness (which I believe means folks hitting this game's page on BGG)

MP = ?

$20 w/free shipping? Whaaat?
It's going for $100 used on BGG marketplace.
Weird.
If that's true, sad I missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
What's Your Game?
badge
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
mbmbmbmbmb
Great deal... great game !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.... looked through the Hot Deals forum... don't see anything...ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MP = Marketplace, I'd assume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmayer wrote:
It was deleted.

Why? Sounds like a hot deal if I ever heard one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Different people have different definitions of what a hot deal is. ...and it is the internet so arguing ensued...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I am the person that Jeff feels was a "shill"...words hurt Jeff....shake

I thought it was a hot deal but because it was a marketplace listing it can't be "hot" and so it was deleted.

The reason that I listed it was because the seller was a new user and people don't like to buy from new users. I took the chance and was relating the fact that it was legit. It is hard to sell or trade when you don't have a track record.

The whole thing got Jeff upset because he "protects" the hot deals forum and because he is trying to sell Kaigan for $99. Hard to sell at a large markup when someone else is selling them cheap.

It is a great game! You should try and get a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a legit "hot deal" to me, excluding being in the marketplace, so it seems like it could be an honest mistake. Calling you a shill was uncalled for in my mind. Even if there is more info that would make it appear that you were being a shill, he's presuming that he KNOWS your intent. All you can do is shrug it off and not try to repeat his mistake yourself - you also don't KNOW his motivations are about his listing unless he told you as much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
Hi. I am the person that Jeff feels was a "shill"...words hurt Jeff....shake

I thought it was a hot deal but because it was a marketplace listing it can't be "hot" and so it was deleted.

The reason that I listed it was because the seller was a new user and people don't like to buy from new users. I took the chance and was relating the fact that it was legit. It is hard to sell or trade when you don't have a track record.

The whole thing got Jeff upset because he "protects" the hot deals forum and because he is trying to sell Kaigan for $99. Hard to sell at a large markup when someone else is selling them cheap.

It is a great game! You should try and get a copy.

I would indeed raise an eyebrow at that game new @$20 shipping included from a new user, so hearing from a "regular" that the new user is legit would be very valuable information.
And I also think marketplace listings should be allowed to be "hot," I mean come on, selling for $100 used and these were new @$20? Just game stores are allowed to have hot deals? Weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
Sounds like a legit "hot deal" to me, excluding being in the marketplace, so it seems like it could be an honest mistake. Calling you a shill was uncalled for in my mind. Even if there is more info that would make it appear that you were being a shill, he's presuming that he KNOWS your intent. All you can do is shrug it off and not try to repeat his mistake yourself - you also don't KNOW his motivations are about his listing unless he told you as much

Very true. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's Jeff. Don't take it personally. I've seen him interact with many people, myself included, and of say 50 interactions, I only would've deemed a handful to be positive. That not to say that I know his intentions, either; however, I've brought it to him before to no avail, for whatever that is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity I went in search of what the Hot Deals "rules" are.
All I could find was this, pinned to the Hot Deals forum

A Hot Deal posting HAS:
1. A price.
2. A Region or virtual platform in the subject line ([US], [Europe], [Global], [Kansas City, MO, USA], [iOS/Android/PC/Mac], etc.)
3. A descriptive subject line that includes: retailer and price or discount percentage.
4. A board game or board game related item for sale.

A Hot Deal posting DOES/IS NOT:
1. From a dealer.
2. An auction
3. Contain a referral link / request of any kind.
4. Contain a members-only website (members-only stores, like Costco are ok)

What's a hot deal?

Nowhere there does it say that people aren't allowed to point out hot deals on BGG marketplace.
Who decided that? And if that's BGG's "rule" then why haven't they updated the only place that seems to lay out the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Nowhere there does it say that people aren't allowed to point out hot deals on BGG marketplace.
Who decided that? And if that's BGG's "rule" then why haven't they updated the only place that seems to lay out the rules?

We have rules against self-promoting. 99% of Marketplace links that show up are from the seller, and thus fall under that category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

We have rules against self-promoting. 99% of Marketplace links that show up are from the seller, and thus fall under that category.

Thanks.
Makes sense.
Although still doesn't clear up this particular case though, b/c from what I can tell (the post is now deleted so this is just from reading this above active thread):
1. It wasn't self-promotion, it was a different user.
2. It was indeed a very hot deal.
3. The separate user who posted had a legit reason for posting beyond it just being a "hot deal" - he was a known BGGer who was confirming that the seller was legit despite being an unknown "new user".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

But, then the 1% that aren't self promoting, automatically are counted as self-promoting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd, fwiw, I appreciate you bringing the game to my attention. I got a copy to be delivered tomorrow.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the greyness falls when the marketplace is being used as a store, with multiple copies. Posting all the single listings for items being sold cheaply would flood the forum, but when there are a quantity available I think it becomes a little more appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
Todd, fwiw, I appreciate you bringing the game to my attention. I got a copy to be delivered tomorrow.

Thanks.

No problem. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy too today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Octavian wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Thanks.
Makes sense.
Although still doesn't clear up this particular case though, b/c from what I can tell (the post is now deleted so this is just from reading this above active thread):
3. The separate user who posted had a legit reason for posting beyond it just being a "hot deal" - he was a known BGGer who was confirming that the seller was legit despite being an unknown "new user".

I don't know if this is the thinking, but logistically it is easier and faster to manage "no marketplace items" in Hot Deals than it is to run down a checklist to verify everything is on the up and up.

If it was not this way, I could very well see people shilling (either through a friend or a second account) their marketplace items or auctions on Hot Deals with arguably "deal-like" prices, flooding the Hot Deals section and resulting in a lot of work for the admins to vet the legitimacy of them all.

Much easier for the admins to manage (and the user to understand) a ban on marketplace items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Octavian wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Thanks.
Makes sense.

I don't know if this is the thinking, but logistically it is easier and faster to manage "no marketplace items" in Hot Deals than it is to run down a checklist to verify everything is on the up and up.

If it was not this way, I could very well see people shilling (either through a friend or a second account) their marketplace items or auctions on Hot Deals with arguably "deal-like" prices, flooding the Hot Deals section and resulting in a lot of work for the admins to vet the legitimacy of them all.

Much easier for the admins to manage (and the user to understand) a ban on marketplace items.

I don't know, there are other ways to deal with it that wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.
Like put up a big notice when you're posting to the Hot Deals forum: "Do NOT post about your own marketplace item!"
and punish harshly those who do with suspensions etc. Regulars would figure it out quickly.
And if sock puppet shill accounts turned out to be a significant problem (which I doubt, but still), prevent new users from posting to Hot Deals, and again, punish harshly owners that are found out.

I mean, we're all here b/c we like games, right?
And like to find out about hot deals?
Would be nice to be allowed to be pointed to them in BGG's own marketplace.

I do think the previously posted "at minimum multiple copies of game" idea is good, not really worth it to post a Hot Deal about a single game, don't want to flood the forums with separate single game listings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.