Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just a few house rules my group has decided to add to Kremlin.

To give people context, our Kremlin games are 4-6 players, weighting towards the high end of that. We've only played the new Kremlin a couple of times so far, but I have played the Avalon Hill version a ridiculously high number of times.

All Versions- Fill the People Randomly

Also shuffle the Politicians deck underneath that. In the Modern and 1928 games, do so after all over positions (including the four People) are filled. In the Standard game, all positions should be filled and the deck shuffled before influence is placed. (Players are allowed to look at the order of the Politicians deck). Refill the People from the top of that deck.

The thinking behind this is to standardise how the People work with the new Candidate rules (where the Candidates are no longer placed by age). The chance of a sudden death victory remain intact and there is still a core of four politicians in the People. But it mixes up who gets into the People more.

This also makes sense thematically to me. While the Rule of Age is still important, the Politburo doesn't necessarily promote the oldest politician to the People regardless of other factors

1928- Don't Allow Influence to Be Placed on Lenin until the 3rd turn.

This is a change from the Revolution variant and I think it should be changed back. As has been discussed elsewhere on here, one of the main reasons for 1928 requiring that influence is placed before positions are filled is because of the younger politicians. That leads to more stability; politicians are far less likely to die from aging rolls. Allowing players to place on Lenin at the start negates that, even with his health status. Assuming that Lenin can last two turns (which is reasonably likely), he should be able to stack the Politburo with his faction's supporters. If he gets KGB Head and Defense Minister, which will undoubtedly be the aim of anyone who's played the game before, there's a very high chance that the game has been basically won. This is unbalanced by itself, plus there are several intrigue cards specifically to do with Lenin. If you wait until the first additional influence phase, Lenin will have at least aged somewhat since then and other factions will have had the chance to maneuver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of assigning influence before seeing the placement seemed ludicrous to me at first. But after playing a game with the historical deck, young ages, I see the necessity of it. If a 30yr old begins as the KGB Head every player should go after him. Where as a 70yr old starting there it's not a bad idea to skip him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis A. Fernandez
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi About the ramdom poeple, you draw one everytimes needed or or only at the end of the replacement phase ?

thanks

Luis

Abiezer Coppe wrote:
This is just a few house rules my group has decided to add to Kremlin.

To give people context, our Kremlin games are 4-6 players, weighting towards the high end of that. We've only played the new Kremlin a couple of times so far, but I have played the Avalon Hill version a ridiculously high number of times.

All Versions- Fill the People Randomly

Also shuffle the Politicians deck underneath that. In the Modern and 1928 games, do so after all over positions (including the four People) are filled. In the Standard game, all positions should be filled and the deck shuffled before influence is placed. (Players are allowed to look at the order of the Politicians deck). Refill the People from the top of that deck.

The thinking behind this is to standardise how the People work with the new Candidate rules (where the Candidates are no longer placed by age). The chance of a sudden death victory remain intact and there is still a core of four politicians in the People. But it mixes up who gets into the People more.

This also makes sense thematically to me. While the Rule of Age is still important, the Politburo doesn't necessarily promote the oldest politician to the People regardless of other factors

1928- Don't Allow Influence to Be Placed on Lenin until the 3rd turn.

This is a change from the Revolution variant and I think it should be changed back. As has been discussed elsewhere on here, one of the main reasons for 1928 requiring that influence is placed before positions are filled is because of the younger politicians. That leads to more stability; politicians are far less likely to die from aging rolls. Allowing players to place on Lenin at the start negates that, even with his health status. Assuming that Lenin can last two turns (which is reasonably likely), he should be able to stack the Politburo with his faction's supporters. If he gets KGB Head and Defense Minister, which will undoubtedly be the aim of anyone who's played the game before, there's a very high chance that the game has been basically won. This is unbalanced by itself, plus there are several intrigue cards specifically to do with Lenin. If you wait until the first additional influence phase, Lenin will have at least aged somewhat since then and other factions will have had the chance to maneuver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.