Hide
5 Posts

7 Wonders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Usage of -1 tokens and other battle tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giles Hutchings
msg tools
I've played about 20 games of the base game, no expansions, and it's just come to my attention that we may have been doing something wrong.

Say that you have 2 -1 tokens going into Age 3, then you win one military conflict and draw another. So you will get a +5 token. I would change the tokens to a +3 token to keep it simpler. But then this affects the Strategists Guild at the end of the game, because at first it would have got 2 VPs from the -1 tokens, but now it gets 0 VPs because there's only a +3 token present.

What I'm saying is, can you change your military tokens to make it simpler or do you have to keep all the ones you are given at the end of each Age? The rule book doesn't really explain this.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Liu
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not supposed to change it even if the total is the same. The tokens are supposed to reflect how many victories and defeats you had over all three ages, and making change erases those values.

In the Leaders and Cities expansions there are cards that give you extra points for victories and defeats, so you should make sure your group plays this correctly. There should be enough of each token so that you never have to make change, even in a full 7 (or 8 with Cities) player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Mucklow
United Kingdom
Swindon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've answered your own question by considering the Strategist's Guild: you have to keep the specific tokens earned as the type of token(s) impacts scoring of other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No - you don't make change. If you've lost twice in the first age, lost one, won one in the second age and won twice in the third age, you should have in front of you:

-1 x3
+1 x0
+3 x1
+5 x2

Never, ever swap them out to make it easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends did this automatically assuming it made sense, which in theory it does, but I had to stop him specifically for the strategists guild...it's there to keep track of defeats and victories, not just points. This becomes more apparent in expansions, as leaders will give you points for having victory tokens, or shield for -1 tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.