Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
For A Few Ghost Rock More is a series of strategy articles inspired by an age old tradition called A Fistful of Ghost Rock. In these series, the author takes a particular card and tries to explain it and some of its nuances or uses. Why not pick your favorite card and give us your lowdown on it?

For A Few Ghost Rock More - Tyxarglenak

Let's talk seriously for a moment here. It's "tie zargle knack". The middle rhymes with "gargle". You might hear or guess different, but I don't mean to change the way I'm gonna say it. So beyond the name, what've we got?

Tyxarglenak, Jack of Spades, Fourth Ring Dude
Cost 4, Upkeep 1
2 Stud, 0 Influence
Abomination. Other players cannot choose or affect your Hucksters at this location with action cards if they could legally choose to affect Tyxarglenak instead.

Tyxarglenak continues in the tradition of a classic Whateley summoned demon named Nebuchadnezzar. And like the inspirational hired demon hand, Tyx is a cheap stud Abomination, a backup to your Huckster main play. Neb would get more bullets based on your highest Huckster rating, but fellow infernal Tyx is so much more than just a defensive shooter. See Tyx is channelling one of the most powerful effects the game ever saw. He's just reeking of an old card, specifically Shadow Man.

This old hex prevented the Huckster using it from being the target of another players actions. Like being called out. Or the target of an Ambush. Or anything. Your investment of a stack of attached spells was largely immune to disruption. A Mystical tank of magical might.

Here, the armor is wider, but less thick.

See, I can't Ambush your Steele Archer at home with Tyx. But I can Ambush Tyxarglenack. You can't wander around with impunity; your protection needs move actions too. But a whole coven of warlocks at the same location is safe... well, safer.

After all it says "action cards". You know. Clubs. So, am I using Pistol Whip on Mr. Archer and his Soul Blast when he and this little monster are Kidnappin' my darling Clementine? Nope. But I could use it on Tyx. And Wendy Cheng, being a Dude, not an Action card, she could knock Mr. Archer on his heels. Sure Tyx offers some conditional help against Ambush. But not Blood Curse. Or a Shotgun. Or just plain old being called out. And he only saves the Hucksters; your other dudes, if any, just have to grin and bear it.

In context then, Tyx offers little really. As you perhaps will notice, almost all Hexes are Shootout actions. So Tyx is really just buying you time to do them. Instead of a first action Pistol Whip or Unprepared disarming your combo, Tyx gives you a shot at pulling for that Hex. Jobs are his main mission in this; he moves with the posse meaning your Huckster has what cover the demon offers. And Tyx offers some shooting ability to back it up. You'll probably be summoning him with Raising Hell, his best combo - taken as a casualty if the job doesn't work out, you'll get him back on another go. He'll make a better casualty than your influence Huckster with 3 spells attached anyway.

Make no mistake. There's a world of mean Actions from which he's protecting your Huckster investment not the least are Kidnappin' and Ambush. But many others your opponent is happy to hit him with anyway. Pistol Whip, Sun In Yer Eyes, Pinned Down? Good enough on the little stud. He'll take a Coachwhip in front of some more valuable Dude when you're Cheatin!, true enough. He throws a wrench in Make The Smart Choice. But Point Blank isn't even going to be slowed down.

Home is already pretty safe. With Tyxarglenak, it's a little safer. And he'll happily tag along on jobs. But be careful with the little thing - he's not that stout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He'd be great if he didn't have upkeep, or if he had something like 2 upkeep, reduced by the highest Huckster skill in play.

But he doesn't

Seems like he's called "Tyx" on another flavor text, maybe it's pronounced tix-AR-gull-nack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm middling it with

tix zargle knack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like him as a starter for 4R as most of the other 4R studs or would-be studs trigger off of playing and thus having hexes in hand. Kevin Wainwright has to move/follow a huckster. But overall, Tyx is my current go-to stud as his stud-liness is not conditional and is enhanced WITHOUT Tyx having to do anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mencarini
United States
Strasburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I used to love Nebby. One of my favorite cards in the game.
Tyx has been a staple in my 4th Ring deck so far.

...although, for what it's worth, I pronounce it "ticks-AR-gluh-nack"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmacncheese86 wrote:

...although, for what it's worth, I pronounce it "ticks-AR-gluh-nack"...

I go with "ticks-ar-gley-nack" myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim de Groot
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go with "Tyxarglenak"

Feel like its a murlock name, so I follow it with some murlock sounds from the throat: "Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle! aka RwlRwlRwlRwl".

MP3 sound: http://www.owlboy.com/wowwiki/mMurlocAggroB.mp3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
davido wrote:
... his stud-liness...

Fair is fair and you're quite right. As studs go, he's fairly cheap. That upkeep is a pain in the ass, but he's modest on the initial investment.

With the high value and the rules on casualties, perhaps he could run in multiples, hoping for a discard and replay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my thoughts exactly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, by the way - he is a spades, not a heart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.