United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Hi folks, I have a question regarding fires found outside the building based on this rule (emphasis mine)

Quote:
An explosion radiates in all four directions (up, down, left, right) from the Target space (your dice roll). Place a Fire marker in each Adjacent space without Fire or flip the the Smoke marker to Fire in a Smoke filled space – even if that space is outside of the building.

So I have the unfortunate luck of having explosions hitting the same spots pushing fires into the street after having blown down the exterior walls.

Besides the movement penalty for firefighters (2APs) and not allowing victims to be led/carried through such infernos, are there any other effects for these fires raging in the streets? Do these fires impede vehicles, etc.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After resolving the explosion remove any and all fire markers that are located outside the building. Easy to miss, but essential to not mucking this up. I missed it the first few games as well. I actually wouldn't mind seeing some sort of rules for outside fires. Oh...it can knock-down firefighters. That's why fire markers are cleaned up lastly, before moving on to the next player's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only will it knock down firefighters, but fire outside of the building will also kill victims who are outside of the house but not yet rescued by the ambulance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Strickhouser wrote:
After resolving the explosion remove any and all fire markers that are located outside the building.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for clarifying! I was actually putting these stupid fires out haha, or at least the ones potentially blocking my exit to a vehicle.

As if the game wasn't difficult enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, I missed that too. We also wondered what happened if the fire hit a vehicle.

I really think this game would benefit from a reorganized rule book: even though all these cases may be covered by the rules, it's really hard to find them when you are looking for them. Which is too bad because the game is fantastic, and the rules are mostly intuitive, once you get the hang of them. But it's easy to miss things, and then hard to correct once you learn the wrong thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Parish
United States
Bartonville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Sithlord extreme
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed that rule as well. I agree on the rule book. the problem is they have the basic rules and then the advanced rules in different sections. There should be an overall ruleset. It's not bad once you get yourself through a couple rounds. We houseruled that if a fire was in a spot with a vehicle then it had to be extinguished before the vehicle could move to that spot. Added difficulty to an already difficult game :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
msg tools
mb
Could fires on the street block the movements of vehicles? Meaning that you'd have to extinguish them before the ambulance or fire truck can drive to the next stop.
/edit That would be a house rule, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Casey080 wrote:
Could fires on the street block the movements of vehicles? Meaning that you'd have to extinguish them before the ambulance or fire truck can drive to the next stop.
/edit That would be a house rule, of course.

No, they can not... Because when your turn ends you remove all the fires outside of the building. There can be no fires at the moment when you move vehicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came on here to see what to do if my fire truck caught fire, which it did. I see now that nothing should have happened -- I house-ruled that it exploded ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
I came on here to see what to do if my fire truck caught fire, which it did. I see now that nothing should have happened -- I house-ruled that it exploded ...

That's a pretty good house rule, however I would imagine if that happened you would need to immediately place the rest of the black cubes out. That fire truck is parked pretty close to the house so I'm thinking that entire side collapses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:
SlikkRikk wrote:

That's a pretty good house rule, however I would imagine if that happened you would need to immediately place the rest of the black cubes out. That fire truck is parked pretty close to the house so I'm thinking that entire side collapses.

Hahah! I did an explosion outside and had another truck come later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
Malaiser wrote:
SlikkRikk wrote:

Hahah! I did an explosion outside and had another truck come later.

You would have a really big problem if it was your ambulance and you would have to wait a few turns before another one shows up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow up to fire outside the building. What happens in the 2 story maps when an explosion happens upstairs that causes an outside wall (or window) to asplode, making fire go outside the 2nd floor AND there's a person in the relative space outside the FIRST floor in the same location? Does the fire just go out the window and then just dissipate in a beautiful fireball? Does it travel down the house and kill the POI on the first floor below? (doesn't make sense for fire to do that, but I understand if that's the rules)

Couldn't find this in the 2nd story rulebook, so we just said that it went out the window and was cleared (with no effect on the other floor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.