Hide
15 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Most pointless fleet ever? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Hare
msg tools
I was debating about running a tournament where you bring the worst fleet possible. For each round, you use the fleet your opponent brought. This isn't knew, but I was thinking about running it

So. Can anyone top this for the most useless fleet?

List Name

4th Division Battleship (36)
Keevan (2)
B'Elanna Torres (5)
Antimatter Mines (6)
Antimatter Mines (6)
Antimatter Mines (6)
Antimatter Mines (6)
Antimatter Mines (6)
Antimatter Mines (6)
Antimatter Mines (6)
Antimatter Mines (6)
Cold Storage Units (4)
Cold Storage Units (4)
Ship SP: 99

Total Build SP: 99

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks moderately useless. But do you really own 8 Starter Sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Horton
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
List Name

Resource: Flagship Independent (Dominion) (10)

Miranda Class (18)
Benjamin Maxwell (4)
Flagship (0)
Self-Destruct Sequence (5)
Disobey Orders (2)
Seven of Nine (5)
Tuvok (5)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Ship SP: 44

Nova Class (18)
Hikaru Sulu (4)
Self-Destruct Sequence (5)
B'Elanna Torres (4)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Emergency Medical Hologram (2)
The Doctor (3)
Ship SP: 46

Total Build SP: 100

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those sorts of competitions which force your opponent to play with a build you design usually have restrictions where the build must be playable under the rules.

In your case the ship chosen can't use Antimatter Mines as it doesn't have a rear arc and would usually not be allowed in a tournament of this type because of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to do this in Heroclix all the time. You have to put in a minimum points requirement, say 95, or you will end up with the one joker who builds a 12 point fleet.

How about;
Generic RIS Vo (14)
Federation cloaking device (10)
Generic RIS Vo (14)
Generic RIS Vo (14)
Generic RIS Vo (14)

Thats 96pts. You could fill the rest with crappy captains if you needed to. Lots of evasion, but with all those 1 die attacks, they wont be doing much.

Or another good one;

Galaxy Class (26)
Romulan Commander (6)
Double Back (6)
Invasion Plans (6)
Admiral Dukat (8)
B'Elanna Torres (4)
Romulan Officer (6)
Synon (6)
Cold Storage Units (5)
Barrage of fire (5)
Barrage of Fire (5)

Reinforcements Sideboard (10)
(nothing on it I'm A jerk like that)

Thats 93pts off the top of my head. Im'm sure I could come up with worse if I tried harder and took some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without any build restrictions, the worst 100 point fleet I could come up with is...

Generic Bajoran Interceptor (16)
Generic Captain (0)

16 pts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illyth wrote:
Looks moderately useless. But do you really own 8 Starter Sets?

He just has to have ready access to the real deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kaminsky
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Make a stipulation that every upgrade card is restricted, that way you get some variety. Builds must be between 99pts and 101pts... just to mess with the meta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually did a really fun game where we restricted everyone to skill 1 captains. It made for some interesting fleet builds with no one being able to rely on the big name captains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
U.S.S. Raven/Indy Dom Flagship/Romulan Commander/2x Fed Self Destruct Sequence/The Weak Shall Perish/B'Elanna/2x Energy Dissipator/3x Borg Self-Destruct Sequence (97 points, I think?)

Apart from being very silly, this one might almost be fun to play, assuming it can actually survive to range 1. It's also extremely good at blowing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
❌✔️✔️➖➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
How about;
Generic RIS Vo (14)
(x4)
Riffing on this:

Generic RIS Apnex (12)
Federation Cloaking Device (10)
Romulan Tactical Officer (3)

Ship is 25 SP, nothing unique, repeat x4. Knocks off one Agility from each ship and adds no utility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Ender02 wrote:
How about;
Generic RIS Vo (14)
(x4)
Riffing on this:

Generic RIS Apnex (12)
Federation Cloaking Device (10)
Romulan Tactical Officer (3)

Ship is 25 SP, nothing unique, repeat x4. Knocks off one Agility from each ship and adds no utility.

It does add some utility, though, in that the science vessel has a 'target lock' action, which the tactical officer can use. The scout ship, though, does not.

Instead, I'd recommend using the Breen Aide (also generic, and also 3 points with the cross-faction penalty). Science vessel can't scan, so he never triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
We actually did a really fun game where we restricted everyone to skill 1 captains. It made for some interesting fleet builds with no one being able to rely on the big name captains.

I ran one of these "worst" fleet tournaments, its was tons of fun!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1150749/bring-your-worst-fle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
This sounds like a fun idea but there really should be some restrictions:

1. If the ship comes equipped with it you can't add it (no fed cloaks on ships that cloak naturally)
2. If you take something like torres you need to actually make use of what she brings (ie: add the additional weapon and tech)
3. Why isn't self destruct sequence unique? I guess you could run it with cheat death then two would be ok but three shouldn't be allowed.
4. The weapon or tech must be usable by the ship (rear arc if you have torps)

Otherwise it seems like it would be a good time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pointless Space Adventures of Space Captain Nopor Puss! (Space is in there twice because its pointless of course)!

16 - R.I.S. Vo (The most Pointless ship in the game!)
Slots- 4 Talent, 2 Tech, 3 Weapon, 1 Crew
10 - Flagship (Ind Dominion) (Because adding to our attack would not be pointless, and we can't have that)
5 - Romulan Commander Because it's pointless to shoot first when you only get 1 attack die)
8 - Admiral Gul Dukat (Because adding captain skill and a talent slot to a captain that already can shoot first AND gets 2 talent slots is pointless! Bonus points for the useless double rank Admiral Gul!)
6 - Cheat Death (Because protecting the most pointless ship in the fleet is doubly pointless!)
6 - Once More Unto the Breach (It's pointless to attack twice with zero attack dice!)
11 - The Weak Shall Perish (And of course while rolling those 0 attack dice, we have to be sure we can re-roll them twice as well!
6 - Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver (Because it's pointless to give a ship a red come about when it already has a white come about!
6 - Subspace Distortion (Because taking an action to roll less defense dice is pointless!)
6 - Self Destruct Sequence (Because blowing yourself up to roll a number of attack dice that can barely potentially kill a generic science vessel is pointless!)
6 - Antimatter Mines (No Rear Firing arc? That's okay!)
6 - Barrage of Fire (No Other allied ships? That's okay too!)
5 - B'elanna Torres (Provides space for more pointless things, which unfortunately by itself isn't pointless, but if the two things ARE pointless you get a net positive pointlessness gain!)

Leaving an upgrade slot empty so that you can have 3 points toward initiative when you already can fire first (but not so many points that you could fly it in a 90 point game alongside a blind ship)? Super pointless!

97 points total

Nopor Puss Rides Again! (Also, as a bonus, every single upgrade is pointless for a different reason as well :-P)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.