United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not Los Angeles. Louisiana:

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/07/159540-five-happiest-cities-...

Quote:
A working paper from professors from Harvard and the Vancouver School examined the happiness of cities based on data from a CDC study and weighted based on demographics and income, PolicyMic reports. Some might suspect that they’re just putting something in the water, but the five happiest cities in America are all in the same state: Louisiana. Those cities are Lafayette, Houma, Shreveport-Bossier City, Baton Rouge, and Alexandria.

The Northeast and one city in the Midwest did not fare too well: Scranton, Erie, and Pittsburgh, PA, Gary, IN, and New York City were found to be the top five unhappiest cities. Nearly all of the unhappiest places in the nation lean heavily Democratic when it comes to voting.

I found this interesting. Naturally, it's probably a mistake to draw too many conclusions from a single study still being analyzed, but I think the idea that urban populations are generally less happy is fairly widely accepted.

Commence the partisan commentary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Your OP says in America but your subject says on Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Why would a non-American ever be happier than an American? They don't live in America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

I was riffing on the Disney tagline. I think it's common knowledge that the Scandanavian countries always kick everyone's butt in measures of happiness and general well-being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I was riffing on the Disney tagline. I think it's common knowledge that the Scandanavian countries always kick everyone's butt in measures of happiness and general well-being.

unless, you know, you're Jewish or something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Osirus wrote:
whac3 wrote:

unless, you know, you're Jewish or something

Having a scapegoat to hate makes people super happy. For reference, see all of human history.

The scapegoat rarely enjoys the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
People from Louisiana are some of the nicest, most accepting people in the world. (....don't start....) In all seriousness, I have a long-time friend from there and have spent time in the region, and it's amazing how accepting they are of strangers.

As to the urban unhappiness, well, what do you expect? There's pretty much no other environment where the gap between the haves and have-nots is more obvious. Take Philly. You have Old City, Center City, etc. and then North Philly. And where else is crime and poverty this concentrated in great numbers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
How can you not be happy in ~GARY INDIANA GARY INDIANA NOT LOUISIANA PARIS FRANCE NEW YORK OR ROOOOOOOME but, Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana, my home sweet hoooooome.~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
He knows, it's called taking the mick, I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't James from Louisiana?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Isn't James from Louisiana?

Yes, but I don't think he lives in any of the places specificallly identified in the study.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.