5 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Economic Imbalance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dark Helmet
msg tools
mb
I read a thread where there was a lot of debate about whether the base game is "broken." This, of course, due to the faster path to economic victory.

Disclaimer: I'm a noob, and only play the base game thus far.

I read one gentleman's argument that the game isn't "broken" just because it's imbalanced. That imbalance and thus challenge is part of the strategic game. But I also know that there were some expansion rules to fix "abuses of the game."

We are playing a base game on Sunday. Was thinking of taking just one rule from the expansion...that loot can involve destroying one coin of the opponent.

This would allow someone to attack a player of wealth in an attempt to hurt him, economically.

Is this one rule addition a fair and non-over-compensating way to slightly adjust for the economic imbalance? Since it's a real rule, it's not even a gimmicky house rule.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Berry
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until you have many plays under your belt, there is no imbalance. I say this because we've only played a handful of times and I see no imbalance at all. I dont claim to be a Civ expert, and I'm no tournament or min/max player, but this is the point; until you really grok the game, which will require at minimum a few plays or more, you're just going to be playing and figuring out the game. I wouldn't pre-emptively houserule the game until you play it and even know what you're changing or why. Play it a few times and make up your own mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that rule would make a nice addition to the base game. Go ahead and use it, it is true that if your not too experienced players you should still be able to pull of the other victory types (although tech will probably only be possible for russia), but the rule is a good one and it might add some nice tension to your games when a player is about to win with coins and the other players race to attack his armies. You'll certainly not mess up the game with this rule.
Also thinking of it, weren't the new looting rules part of the first FAQ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Nope - nothing about looting in the first FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Helmet
msg tools
mb
Thank you all for your replies.

Yeah, we are still stumbling over paths to victory, for sure. We spend like 10 minutes sorting through this printout I made of all the techs (in order to more quickly see their effects than flipping through cards) because we have no idea the direction our nation is heading.

Last time, we had a first timer and he quickly picked up the economic path and was racing to it. Luckily, I was a genius and researched Biology and then Steam Power to take him by surprise with a quick 5 move with 5 armies into his capital. That was all she wrote.

It's a good thing too because the third player was one turn from my capital

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.