Subject: Bid on the same god rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Balotti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!
I love Cyclades: bought it with the Hades expansion and had a blast since the first game and subsequent... with 2, 3, 4 or 5 players: simply a great game.
However, I notice that I made a mistake on the rules in all these games (my bad, that wasn't intentional), I always played the auction phase as the "old Evo" game... the structure is exactly the same of the correct rules, with just one exception: if someone bid on "your god", you can bid on the same god again, adding one (or more) to the offer just made.
I know that the rules says that you must choose another god, however all my games were... well, pretty good... full of fun and interaction between players... and I think that could be an interesting variant that maybe, just maybe, could create a little less of the "bash the leader" effect.
What do you think about that?
For sure, I wish to play the next game with the "correct rule"... but I must admit that I like this mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it the correct way. That cat and mouse bidding really makes the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, maybe it would stop some leader-bashing but is that really a good thing? I love booting the leader off the god they need only to see some knucklehead boot them off their backup and back onto their winning move. So fantastically annoying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can keep bidding on the same god, there is no incentive to bid high. A player will just bid in small increments until the other player gives up. It works in Evo because the bids are in victory points, thus usually small, and most often it's more advantageous to go for a cheaper gene. In Cyclades, it could make the game drag with long bid wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Balotti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yeah, maybe it would stop some leader-bashing but is that really a good thing? I love booting the leader off the god they need only to see some knucklehead boot them off their backup and back onto their winning move. So fantastically annoying!

Yes it is, at least for me... I love Cyclades... the only true bad point of this game, IMHO, is the bash the leader... isn't fantastically annoying... I wish to play for win, not for not let the others DON'T win... sometimes is necessary (this variant dosen't remove that effect, just make it less strong), in particular during the late game phase ("you have more money that everyone else, YOU must stop him"), but I don't like that I must play a turn just for hit hard the player with the best setup on the board.

Quote:
If you can keeping bidding on the same god, there is no incentive to bid high. A player will just bid in small increments until the other player gives up. It works in Evo because the bids are in victory points, thus usually small, and most often it's more advantageous to go for a cheaper gene. In Cyclades, it could make the game drag with long bid wars.

You got a point, but that isn't usually a bad thing... was part of the fun of those games see how much you can bid on a divinity, and comments like "oh come on, why bid there? Just for raise raise my bid? I bid again, just one more."... was pretty fun, pretty open with the strategy.
It's true that golds aren't victory points... but, at the same times, money is the only true "resource" of the game: if you don't have money, you can't do nothing for get the victory with any strategy of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M
Poland
flag msg tools
Because of "if you are outbidded you must bid other god" players can "easly" prevent other player from winning the game (if they know what's going on on the board).
This make it very entertaining because a player with possibility to win the game must bid very much GP and same time other players can save their money to find another way to survive. If they do the player that had possibility to win is low on cash so they can easly outbid him in next rounds...
This makes Cyclades a game that goes on till someone will make a mistake and I find it very entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chilavert 82 IT wrote:
You got a point, but that isn't usually a bad thing... was part of the fun of those games see how much you can bid on a divinity, and comments like "oh come on, why bid there? Just for raise raise my bid? I bid again, just one more."... was pretty fun, pretty open with the strategy.

Maybe, but playing by the rules, I find the decision on how much to bid more interesting and tense. How much do I have to bid to secure the god I need? Do I bid high to secure that god, at the cost of having less money to buy stuff? Or do I start low and hope I can get back to that god? Should I even bid on a god I don't really want, to see what the other players will do, expecting to be outbid?

Quote:
It's true that golds aren't victory points... but, at the same times, money is the only true "resource" of the game: if you don't have money, you can't do nothing for get the victory with any strategy of this game.

Of course. I was just explaining why bids in Evo tend to be very low. In my last game of Cyclades, I think I bid something between 15 and 20 gold in the last round (I had got Apollo the previous round) in order to guarantee the victory. If I had not won that round, I would probably be out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chilavert 82 IT wrote:
... the only true bad point of this game, IMHO, is the bash the leader...

To be fair, you haven't actually played Cyclades. You got a major rule wrong and now you're arguing that the actual game is wrong and your way is better...

Respectfully, maybe you should play the game correctly, at least once, and then post your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Balotti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
Chilavert 82 IT wrote:
... the only true bad point of this game, IMHO, is the bash the leader...

To be fair, you haven't actually played Cyclades. You got a major rule wrong and now you're arguing that the actual game is wrong and your way is better...

Respectfully, maybe you should play the game correctly, at least once, and then post your opinion?

Errr... nope.
Well, not nope for not play the game correctly (I wish to do it and I will do it the next time that get the table) but about your words "the actual game is wrong and your way is better"... I didn't say that! I just said that I enjoyed the game ALSO with that wrong rule and that the only true thing that I don't like about Cyclades (with or without this variant) is the bash the leader effect. And that maybe that wrong rule COULD change a little that aspect of the game. Period. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.