Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lost in time and space VS Blessed/Cursed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost in time and space says the explorer is not affected by any other game effects. Those it also include blessed/cursed condition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
Lost in time and space says the explorer is not affected by any other game effects. Those it also include blessed/cursed condition?

Those aren't effects but cards. I haven't played too much with Lost in Time but I don't think it matters since Blessed and Cursed conditions would only come into play when asked to make a Test, which you won't do while you're Lost in Time and Space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, those are cards that are causing an effect(your tests are resolved separately). During encounter phase most of the Lost in Time and Space cards have some tests, and I would love for Blessed to work there(and hate for Cursed to work there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're referring to the Reckoning phase, I believe that you are immune to it while you are lost in time and space, so you wouldn't roll to lose your blessing or curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean the moment that you flip LiTaS card. "Instead of resolving an encounter flip this card" part.

It usually has something like "Test Knowledge. If you pass you can appear on any space. If you fail Cthulhu devours you and your whole family".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would use all your cards/conditions on the test that is on the back of the Lost in Time and Space card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking they shouldn't because what's written on them is an effect of the card. That's why I asked, but now I thought about it more. When we are resolving back of the card the front probably doesn't apply anymore, so all effects apply again.

Is that how the rules work, or Condition effects for some convoluted reason aren't effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everything that belongs to you still applies. After all, you still get to use your assets, improvements, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:

Depends what you mean by "not affected". If you are referring to resolving reckonings, the rules insert specifically address this:

Quote:
When an investigator gains a Lost in Time and Space Condition, he resolves the following effects
> He is unaffected by effects of Mythos cards, [reckoning symbol] effects, or any other game effects except those of his Lost In Time and Space Condition.

If you are referring to rolling dice when it comes time to resolve the effect on the back of the Lost In Time and Space card, then yes, you are affected (blessed: success on 4, 5, 6; cursed: success on just 6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I did never mean resolving reckonings. I do understand perfectly that I'm not affected by them.

Quote:
If you are referring to rolling dice when it comes time to resolve the effect on the back of the Lost In Time and Space card, then yes, you are affected (blessed: success on 4, 5, 6; cursed: success on just 6).

Yes, that is what I'm referring to, and now I'm asking why is it.

You see, there are game effects on a lost in time and space condition, this part:
Quote:
any other game effects except those of his Lost In Time and Space Condition

So what's written on Lost in Time and Space card is an effect. That means that what's written on Blessed/Cursed cards are also effects.

Now, when you are resolving back of Lost in Time and Space card does this:
Quote:
He is unaffected by effects of Mythos cards, [reckoning symbol] effects, or any other game effects except those of his Lost In Time and Space Condition.

still apply? (bolded by me)

Different example. Let's say you are Cursed and gain additional Curse. That means you flip the Curse card instead of gaining new Curse. On the back of the card imagine a text:
"Test Knowledge. If you fail you are devoured"
Does the effect of Cursed Condition still apply when we are resolving the back of Curse card? I would say yes.

But if effect of Curse card applies when you resolve test on back of Curse card then effect of Lost in Time and Space should still apply when you resolve back of Lost in Time and Space card, which would mean no other game effects, including game effects caused by Curse or Blessed do apply.

I don't know if there's Cursed/Blessed card that has you resolving a test. But if there was would front still apply?

If Blessed/Cursed do not apply when resolving test on the back of Lost in Time and Space Condition card then why is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The moment you start your LiTaS encounter, you're no longer lost. At that point, all the normal game rules apply to you. So yes, blessings, curses, and other conditions all affect you, and you can use all your items and any applicable spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. But I don't understand why. Which rule makes it so? Does front of the card stop working when resolving it's back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
The moment you start your LiTaS encounter, you're no longer lost. At that point, all the normal game rules apply to you. So yes, blessings, curses, and other conditions all affect you, and you can use all your items and any applicable spells.

I don't understand where this comes from. Surely you are still lost if you are not on the board? During that encounter you are still lost in time and space unless the card specifically tells you otherwise at the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just think about it thematically. You never stopped being blessed. You were immune to reckonings because you were lost and not near where things were happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just think about it thematically. You're lost in time and space. Who knows in what strange worlds/between what strange worlds are you right now. Why would powers from your original world work in that situation? You might be even somewhere in time before you were cursed, and curses don't work before they were cast. You went... sometime... and the powers affecting you are waiting where you came from.

That is thematic. I can think of countless thematic explanations for and against Cursed/Blessed working or not.

I think I'll just ask FFG, as no one was able to point me to a rule that would definitely say one way or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got pretty swift answer from Nikki Valens. It appears the intention was for it to work like everyone suspected - just removing the investigator from the group temporally. It will be added to errata/faq.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.