Subject: Do you move the first genestealers spawned? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Lundberg
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
In the very start of the game when you draw an event card to spawn genestealers do you also move them if they happen to match the symbol? I'm assuming yes but I'm just making sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules state that the initial card is drawn only for the spawn (no movement or effect). Someone with a rule book handy can double check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spawn. No movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules state you ignore all other elements of the card except the spawn. So no move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
The rulebook was quite ambiguous, if I recall correctly it said something along the lines "ignore the text of the card, resolve spawning symbols", leaving up to you to consider whether the movement symbol was part of the spawn or not. Fortunately, we also had the preview articles, in which it was very clear that you don't resolve movement when spawning for the first time:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1470
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 8 of the rulebook.

Quote:
8. Spawn Starting Genestealers: Draw the top
card of the Event deck, and spawn Genestealers
as listed on the activation area of the card (see
“Spawning Genestealers” on page 21). All other
information on this card is ignored. Then discard
this card.

wwalker98's got it right

It says 'all other information on this card is ignored', so it's not really ambiguous if you know how spawning Genestealers works. If you don't, and go to page 21 (without taking note of the extra rules after the brackets), and read past spawning to 'moving Genestealers' on page 22, it can seem a little overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
dezza wrote:
Page 8 of the rulebook.

Quote:
8. Spawn Starting Genestealers: Draw the top
card of the Event deck, and spawn Genestealers
as listed on the activation area of the card (see
“Spawning Genestealers” on page 21). All other
information on this card is ignored. Then discard
this card.

wwalker98's got it right

It says 'all other information on this card is ignored', so it's not really ambiguous if you know how spawning Genestealers works. If you don't, and go to page 21 (without taking note of the extra rules after the brackets), and read past spawning to 'moving Genestealers' on page 22, it can seem a little overwhelming.

In page 14 of the rulebook the "move icon" is clearly depicted as being part of the "activation area", so I'd say this is definitely ambiguous, if not clearly indicating that you should move the genestealers on the first spawn of the game.
The key to disambiguation is having in mind that spawn and move are two separate steps and the info for the first part is not the same as the info for the second, though they share the same "activation area" display. You are not activating genestealers, just spawning them.

Fortunately, this was addressed in the preview I linked above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost CoD wrote:

In page 14 of the rulebook the "move icon" is clearly depicted as being part of the "activation area", so I'd say this is definitely ambiguous, if not clearly indicating that you should move the genestealers on the first spawn of the game.
The key to disambiguation is having in mind that spawn and move are two separate steps and the info for the first part is not the same as the info for the second, though they share the same "activation area" display. You are not activating genestealers, just spawning them.

Fortunately, this was addressed in the preview I linked above.
But that's in the Event Phase/event phase section of the rulebook, not in the Setup section of the rulebook. So it's not related to spawning for setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
dezza wrote:

But that's in the Event Phase/event phase section of the rulebook, not in the Setup section of the rulebook. So it's not related to spawning for setup.[/q]

Of course, but the setup refers to the term "Activation area", which is only described in page 14, so... I think this is still relevant and adds to the confusión. I have always played this right, but I understand how it couldn't be obvious to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost CoD wrote:
Of course, but the setup refers to the term "Activation area", which is only described in page 14, so... I think this is still relevant and adds to the confusión. I have always played this right, but I understand how it couldn't be obvious to new players.

You don't need to look at p.14 and its information about the Activation Area, but even if you do check it out, the setup only asks you to spawn genestealers, not move them. The image you found and originally linked has the paragraph explaining that the Activation Area's icons are separated as spawn and move.

Quote:
The boxes are resolved from left to right and either spawn new Genestealers (see page 21), or move existing swarms of Genestealers (see page 22)

You find it ambiguous, I find it straightforward.

I've been coming off kind of harsh/smug about it, so I want to be apologetic and concede that I probably think that way about the rules because of having experience playing the game. It's kind of hard to think back and remember what it was like to learn the game from the rulebook alone.

I just know that the rules get a lot of flak for being badly written/laid out, but what you need is explained in it, however haphazardly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
No need to apologize. I for one, have defended the rulebook several times in this forum (under an older account, but that's another story). It's just that I find this particular instance a bit confusing. Perhaps it was because I originally read it in a foreign translation. That was the only thing I remember I had to go back and check the rulebook. The rest was pretty clear after one reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose this could be a good optional rule. For an easier game you only spawn the first Genestealers. For a harder game you move them as well. Will keep this in mind for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Lundberg
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the responses. Glad to have that clarified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.