Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hamish Sterling
Australia
Cairns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hoping there's a few folk with an answer for this....

All the games I publish have laser engraved, polyresin dice. I've used the one factory since the first game and they still make dice for me today.

Our first game (Pocket cricket) has an injection mould which reduced the unit about 45% - good but a hefty outlay. It has paid for itself though now.

Follow up games don't have a mould. With 6 games, the outlay would be too much. I simply have the dice engraved on smaller runs. The price is obviously higher, but I can change the die faces for any reprint or additions etc. I'm not locked into to the mould...

Recently I tried a new factory in China for a quote. From what I know, acrylic dice are cheaper than polyresin, but are more difficult to engrave...or so more than one factory has told me.

Quotes for acrylic dice also included an additional mould fee....

So leads me to my question.....if the dice are being engraved, why the mould fee?

Is there no engraving in this case, is it simply a cheaper resin mould?

Whatever the reason, the quote from the new factory was no cheaper per unit price with my current factory, and it had the mould fee on top of that.

Has anyone else had such an experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Acrylic vs polyresin vs moulds on 'moi' boards
'moi' hath 'blisters' on my 'fingers' due to "wiping away" moulds accumulated upon my game boards, so: "no thank you any more, kindly" shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Bland
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I know this is an old post but do you still have the need to have the polyresin dice manufactured...if so I represent a company based out of Holland that employs Injection molded resin products from moulds....we don't charge for the moulds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone elaborate as to the quality of either?

Are resin really that much better? I'm not sure I fully appreciate the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
One of the main differences is that when working with the materials, resin is more prone to capturing air bubbles which will leave some undesirables on the dice - if they are translucent. For dice that are not translucent, that won't be an issue. Other than that, they are more or less the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.