Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Drake
United States
Picayune
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love reading your AAR's on this game--still learning the GOSS rules so good to see how someone is playing it,and have been reading your rules questions that you posted on HH as well.

Really like the narrative style of your AAR as it conveys a sense of the situation as well as what both sides are "thinking"--hope to read more on this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Joey,

thank you very much for your Session Reports. I really enjoy them.

I am sitting on the Fence to also buy Hurtgen: Hell's Forest. I only wait for the latest Version of the Series Rules from Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise to be published online.

One Question to your present Game: What is your Opinion to the Decision of the German Player not to attack with the 116th Panzer-Division after their Arrival? The Hex north of Vossenack seems to beg to be attacked. There are several strong German Units adjacent, the Attack could be conducted from four Hexes and if successful would reduce the German Frontline by one Hex. Is the Attack too risky (US Artillery, Terrain...)?

Greetings,
Henning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The German player is hoping to get the hex for free whistle; you see that is some narly constricted terrain so the US player can't put any more force in the hex so he will either see the wisdom of a withdrawl or die a horrible death in the next AM. With the upcomming Ardennes offensive the German player is certain all Panzer commanders have been given conserve resource orders in some form or another and the German player factored that in his thinking. There is also the plain fact that the German player doesn't need to do anything. At this point he has the US player by the seat of his pants.

But so he hands the Initiative to you. Should he not use his temporary Superiority to hurt the US Player? While he might be content with the Situation now, normaly Time is against the Germans during that Stage of the War. I am totally unaware of the Scenario Rules, Length and everything else and argue only with the historical Situation in mind.

Quote:
Withdraw the US unit or stay, what would you do?

That depends on the Scenario Rules. But my Instinct is to stay and let the Germans suffer Losses for any territorial Gains. Especially when the Germans want to reconquer Hürtgen. So far he controlls only one Hex from were he could attack Hürtgen. The Hex in question would give him another Hex to attack from. Stay and fight will most likely delay the German Attack on Hürtgen. I do not know whether you need Time or not.

Henning

PS: I have to note that I do not know the Game Rules. So take all above with a Grain of Salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
this one could go either way. Attacking is very attritional and the attacker will suffer losses (usually). So it is a question of gaining a hex vs losing steps. It is tempting to go after that single hex, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know if it would be doable (rulewise), however my Idea for the 116th Panzer-Division as German Player would have been to strengthen the German Line around Kommerscheidt only to the Extent, that it could delay the next US Attacks, while the Schwerpunkt would be directed against the weak American Units in Kleinau and the wooded Hex between Hürtgen and Kleinau.

My Hope is to generate some Losses on those US Units, to force them to retrat and to threaten Hürtgen, so that the US Player would refrain from or abandon any Attacks against my weak Frontline at Kommerscheidt and Schmidt.

If the US Units were hurt enough and with Hürtgen threatened, then it is possible that the US Player would feel pressured enough to abandon the Front Bulge anyway.

Greetings,
Henning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyoust wrote:
this one could go either way. Attacking is very attritional and the attacker will suffer losses (usually). So it is a question of gaining a hex vs losing steps. It is tempting to go after that single hex, though.

Hello Joe,

thank you for the Insight. I think I would still attack to regain the Initiative and in the Hope to hurt the Americans more than myself as long as I am able to get favourable Odds.

Is there already a Date, when the latest GOSS Rules will be published online?

Regards,
Henning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Joey hat wecht (has it right). Although, if you do attack, the idea would be to spread the attacking force out and have additional other attacks that might bleed off some of that US firepower. But you will take lumps if you attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You are unaware (so understandable) but if you knew the germans have 9 barrage points and the US has 24 would it change your perspective? I figure 3, 8 point (Max) barrage volley's can easily damper any assault...

Quote:
Joey hat recht (has it right). Although, if you do attack, the idea would be to spread the attacking force out and have additional other attacks that might bleed off some of that US firepower. But you will take lumps if you attack.

That would indeed change my Perspective wow and it makes the Decision of the German Player to not attack very understandable. It is not possible to spread the attacking Forces enough to decrease the Effect of the US Artillery and to still obtain a substantial Superiority in the different Attacks.

I can see only two Areas in the US Frontline were spread out Attacks are possible: The already mentioned Front Buldge between Hürtgen and Kommerscheidt with the 3rd Battalion, 109th Regiment and the 1st Battalion, 110th Regiment near Kommerscheidt. But even if those Attacks would succeed, were the Germans in no better Position for the later Turns. The Frontline at Hürtgen is still too narrow to reduce the Effect of US Artillery. And the Gain in the South does not aid to the overall Aim of Defending Schmidt and Vossenack.

Interesting Situation. My overall Interest in the Game is ever increasing (a Store in the 30 km distant Köln had one Copy, when I was there the last Time ...ninja)

Henning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.