23 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A very event heavy Kate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
So, this deck evolved from my desire to play Toolbox; The best way to do that is to draw it and have a lot of money. That goes pretty well with a voicepad style deck. And if I'm going to have the link, might as well seal my middle/late game economic advantage with underworld contacts.

All of the breakers are expensive just to keep them out of shutdown range; that they are efficient on top of it is pretty swell too. Also helping avoid shutdowns are the dyson's & voicepads. It really is odd how few tricks this deck runs. 20/45 is just econ, and that econ means running isn't much of a problem. Against weyland, you can probably outrun a tag from a variety of sources just by going in on money.

I've played other pad decks that focus on having a lot more tricks, but this one is keeping it really simple, and because of that I'm finding it's doing mostly what it needs to do. I don't feel like there's much else to explain.

Draw into what you need. Have money. Run.

Event Heavy Kate

Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (25)
1x Account Siphon (Core Set) ••••
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••••
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
2x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••
3x Modded (Core Set)
3x Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
2x The Maker's Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (8)
3x Dyson Mem Chip (Trace Amount)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)
2x The Toolbox (Core Set)

Resource (5)
1x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
1x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Underworld Contact (A Study in Static)

Icebreaker (3)
1x Battering Ram (Core Set)
1x Garrote (True Colors) •••
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set)

Program (4)
1x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is memory a problem? I get nervous seeing SMC, Opus, Garrote, and Battering Ram. You obviously don't want Leprechaun since it will raise your shutdown weakness, but maybe CyberSolutions could give you some more breathing room. I guess if Diesel/Quality Time is doing a good enough job of powering you through your deck them you'll get enough Dysons to keep things rolling.

I like seeing those high link numbers. I use to run Rabbit Hole + Toolbox in Kate and it's fun to just flip the coin on corp traces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Never had a problem with memory. Truth is, Opus is a late game move in most cases. A single dyson is enough to support the whole rig, and toolbox is enough to support opus with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have you considered Oracle May and going all-in on events?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
etherial wrote:

That's an interesting thought experiment; but, no I haven't yet considered it. If I did, I'd probably have to consider test run & retrieval run just in case I pitch a breaker I need into the discard. And at that point, it might be worth have 2x femme.

The account siphon, toolbox, link package would be sacrificed for such a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daine .

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm loving underworld contacts right now. Against any non-rush deck they're really good right now.

How often are you getting value from modded? You've got 5 targets, which seems like enough, but I'm wondering if it's working in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
It's working fairly well. I like using it to get toolbox onto the table (or any breaker I happen to draw); It's also decent when Quality Timing to lose a few cards from hand. Late game it's a dyson mem chip or helps recover after a destroyer hits the rig and I have to test run, draw, play the program again.

I've yet to have one sit in hand for more than a couple turns.

(Anyhow the way to think about modded is that it's essentially sure gamble+install a program/hardware; Sure gamble would give you +4, then you'd spend a click to install; Now you spend 1 click instead of 2, which means you can click for a credit with that extra click, putting you at +4 where you would have been otherwise; If that extra click is opus or pro-con, then it's arguably better than sure + install)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professional Contacts as a one-off without any way to tutor for it looks strange. Usually you want Pro Contacts early or not at all. If I'm not running a Hostage-deck I usually go with either 3 Pro Contacts or none at all.

In this deck I think a lot of cards would be better than that one-off.

Also, why not Akamatsu instead of Dyson? It's cheaper, is good protection from Power Shutdowns and with Toolbox and Kate you really don't need the extra link.

EDIT: Forgot that you need the link for Underworld Contacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Pro-con is a gravy card; I'll admit that. Diesel & Quality time are the main engine for drawing, but getting pro-con on the table always feels good anyways. I don't think I'd cut anything to get more than 1, but 1-of can make the pads sing. Good news is I'll never be discarding pro-con because I've already installed it; Bad news is, yeah, I won't see it every game.

I might test without it and have a same old, in its place, but its a slot I'm not really worried about.

You mention that there's a lot of cards that would be better. Want to highlight the few that you think would serve the deck best?

Also, yeah, link is the reason for Dyson. Excess link rarely hurts me; and I only pay 2 for dyson most of the time, so it's not a big hit to the bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:
Never had a problem with memory. Truth is, Opus is a late game move in most cases. A single dyson is enough to support the whole rig, and toolbox is enough to support opus with that.

I guess that's what I didn't get. That you were Opus-ing only late game because you have so much event econ (rather than as early as possible like every other shaper). Cool deck.

I agree that Kate + Modded is the way to go in a Toolbox deck. It makes the console much easier to get to the table. Modded is really Kate's card.

If you are getting rid of the ProCon putting some Underworld Contacts in this deck can't hurt. Also another Same Old Thing is always a nice thing to have with Account Siphon in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you are getting rid of the ProCon putting some Underworld Contacts in this deck can't hurt.

Already in the list.

Quote:
if I'm going to have the link, might as well seal my middle/late game economic advantage with underworld contacts.

Dude, we hear you like Underworld Contacts, so we got you some Underworld Contacts for when you are using Underworld Contacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
cynchwyrm wrote:
Quote:
If you are getting rid of the ProCon putting some Underworld Contacts in this deck can't hurt.

Already in the list.

Quote:
if I'm going to have the link, might as well seal my middle/late game economic advantage with underworld contacts.

Dude, we hear you like Underworld Contacts, so we thought you could use some Underworld Contacts for when you are using Underworld Contacts.

I would include six if I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
So it is. I guess I missed it my second look through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Spiekerman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like fun, but slow to set up. How does it do versus AstroBiotics?

I'd vote for an extra SOT to replace the ProCon. SOTing a Lucky Find (with PPVP) is a reasonable play if you have enough SOT's. Though it looks like once you are up and running, money is not an issue. But you have tons of other good events that you may like to recur if you don't have to save the SOT for Levy.

Maybe replace with a card that may help speed things up versus AstroBiotics. Maybe a Tinkering or another Test Run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Astrobiotics is a problem for everyone. This deck will be able to regularly run centrals, and occasionally access more than one card at a time. So I wouldn't say its a matchup the deck would love.

I'm *usually* going by turn 3, depending on how much early pressure I need/choose to give. I could certainly understand trying to go a bit heavier on maker's eye & legwork. It's about the best you could do vs Astrobiotics if you think you're going to see a lot of that. If speed were a great concern such that your other concerns could be set aside, I'd probably do the following:

-3 Underworld
-1 Pro-con
-1 Account Siphon
+2 Same Old
+1 Maker's
+1 Legwork

Too make it even faster, I'd probably lose Kate and go CT. Then you can lose all the memory cards and opus. Then fill slots with testrun/scavenge.

But that is a different deck and loses what this deck has, which is the inevitability of a strong economy. The "fast" version loses some consistancy, but gains the ability to snipe & multi access over the long run by dedicating itself only to burst economy. It's arguable that in that version you might even replace quality time with professional contacts; but that'd be up to personal flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daine .

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Something else to consider would be a femme (recognizing that you'd lose something big to pay the influence) and consider a third test run. That's usually all the speed I need against an NBN trying to rush out an astro behind a mystery ice.

How often does siphon win you a game? It seems like the thing I'd cut if I were tweaking.

Also, maybe you should find room for underworld contacts. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Spiekerman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... since you have all that link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Daine wrote:
Something else to consider would be a femme (recognizing that you'd lose something big to pay the influence) and consider a third test run. That's usually all the speed I need against an NBN trying to rush out an astro behind a mystery ice.

How often does siphon win you a game? It seems like the thing I'd cut if I were tweaking.

Siphon is just more money. It forces them to dedicate more ice. I'd be cool converting them to 1x imp & 1x femme for those narrow edge cases where it matters; but I'm not sure how necessary it is. Siphon often is just a way to get toolbox on the table with out personally taking a hit for having done it. I usually go tag-me in those games.

Quote:
Also, maybe you should find room for underworld contacts. . .

I hear 9 is tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried installing Underworld Contact on your Underworld Contact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
etherial wrote:

http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/7887/pimp-v1-2
i have a recent exile deck with 32 events and 1 oracle may which does this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Armstrong
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
gumOnShoe wrote:
I would include six if I could.

I did when I drafted Cyber War. It was glorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M.
msg tools
I would consider dropping 1 legwork for a planned assault. I think it would give you a lot of flexibility, and make that 1 off account siphon that much more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
steevo15 wrote:
I would consider dropping 1 legwork for a planned assault. I think it would give you a lot of flexibility, and make that 1 off account siphon that much more useful.

I understand the desire to have a toolbox style option, but I think legwork is far too valuable. I'd lose Account Siphon to get planned assault, though; maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.