Popular Tags: [View All]
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Hey! I'm cheap-and frankly, I get bored easily with a lot of what is on commercial television. So I watch a lot of PBS.

One of the more interesting programs I found recently is a series called Intelligence Squared Debates. Its a classic Oxford style debate- 2 panelists per side, each speaker gets an opening speech, answers some questions, then gets a closing comment. What makes the show interesting- other than the quality of the people they get to speak on the show- is how they judge the winner. Audience members vote whether or not they agree, disagree or are undecided on the proposition before anyone speaks. Then, at the end of the debate, the audience votes again. The winner of the debate is the side who had the most movement on an issue- the largest number of changed minds.

For instance, the show I watched had a resolution where the affirmative side was agreed with by 65% of the audience, and only 7% disagreed. At the end of the debate, 65% still agreed with the resolution, but 14% of undecideds moved to disagree. Its pretty neat, because in this way the show is able to mitigate against the biases of the audience while at the same time do topics like Is the FDA too cautious?, Should Genetically Engineered Babies be Prohibited?, and Should College Football Be Banned?.

The episode I watched was on the resolution Should the GOP Move to the Center or Die, and it had a great panel. Arguing on the affirmative side was David Brooks of the NYTimes and Mickey Edwards, former GOP representative from the state of Oklahoma, and during the Reagan years was considered one of the 'Most Conservative' members of the House. Opposing them were Laura Ingraham, conservative talk show host and Ralph Reed, the former head of the Christian Coalition and a GOP activist from the 1980's.

You can watch the entire episode here.

If you're interested in debate and politics, and would like to see some good give and take, its definitely worth checking out.

And by the way-
Spoiler (click to reveal)
As a spoiler- Ingraham and Reed win the debate. Brooks and Edwards fatally flub a key point that they were arguing, and Reed and Ingraham pound them mercilessly. Great stuff. So those of you out there who want to argue that because its PBS, conservatives won't get a fair shake, you might want to reconsider and actually watch the show.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds incredibly boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
mlcarter815 wrote:

What did you expect in a thread about PBS?

Big Jugs and Sweet Mugs- The Antique Roadshow Goes To Topless Coffee Shops?

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this sounds great. Watching a good debate, by capable people, is always nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always enjoyed watching these, and listening, too. NPR has been doing them as podcasts for a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
I think this sounds great. Watching a good debate, by capable people, is always nice.

Which is why you come here, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

Which is why you come here, yes?

The quality has gone down, recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember watching the one about the Catholic church, with Stephen Fry, who is just a lovely person. Good debate series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

mlcarter815 wrote:

It's nonetheless a worthy successor to the Fred Friendly and William F. Buckley debate-program tradition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
So those of you out there who want to argue that because its PBS, conservatives won't get a fair shake, you might want to reconsider and actually watch the show.

Sure, PBS is now fair and balanced because of conservatives had a better argument. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Darilian wrote:
So those of you out there who want to argue that because its PBS, conservatives won't get a fair shake, you might want to reconsider and actually watch the show.

Sure, PBS is now fair and balanced because of conservatives had a better argument. shake

Ah yes, the conservative mantra, "If it's not biased for us, it's biased against us!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
jeremycobert wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Actually, all of the panelists were conservatives.

But if you had actually watched the show, you would know this.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Mickey Edwards isn't a conservative?

I think that the problem is that modern 'conservatives' have lost their way, and Edwards is calling them on it, like in his book Reclaiming Conservatism: How a Great American Political Movement Got Lost--And How It Can Find Its Way Back.

I don't think that 'Tea Party' conservatives are conservative in the slightest- they're reactionaries.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Darilian wrote:
Mickey Edwards isn't a conservative?

I think that the problem is that modern 'conservatives' have lost their way, and Edwards is calling them on it, like in his book Reclaiming Conservatism: How a Great American Political Movement Got Lost--And How It Can Find Its Way Back.

I don't think that 'Tea Party' conservatives are conservative in the slightest- they're reactionaries.

Darilian

Never heard of him. He came off as a moderate..... Which to you is far right..... Arguing a case that moderates were the key.

In Darland all republicans are extreme right wingers. Please, be offended if I assumed you would never admit anyone but the most liberal republican is a moderate. Like McCain or Powell for example.

Former House representative from Oklahoma, and during the Reagan Administration, was called the 'most conservative politician in Congress'.

He's one of the founding trustees of the Heritage Foundation, and a former national chairman of the American Conservative Union.

My problem with modern 'faux conservatives' isn't that they're conservative- its that they don't know their history, are intellectually inconsistent, and they look back to an idealized past that doesn't exist and want to radically reshape society in order to 'go back' to some good old days that don't exist.

That's not conservatism. That's reactionary.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree with Koldfoot about Dar's bias. he hates himself some Righty's, that's fer sure. And you do not want to ask for tea at his house. I did, and this is what he served me:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so many No True Scotsmen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.