lonnie kim
United States
milpitas
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i ask b/c i am getting stomped.
in 9 games (mostly with 2 investigators) i rarely come close to winning.
very often Yig wakes up before the first mystery is solved.

in particular the serpent crown mystery is really brutal. i find this mystery takes incredibly long to set up and solve.

before the expansion there were certainly games where everything went wrong and the investigators had no chance, but against Yig its pretty consistently awful and worse every time.

how is it playing out for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Serpent Crown has been very difficult for me to complete.
But last night, playing solitaire with four investigators, I finally defeated an awoken Yig, but it was easy mode and I purposely left the Crown mystery out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five games against Yig, one victory so far(after he woke up). This is with randomly selected investigators - going forward I'm going to be selecting them based on whom I'm facing given how Forsaken Lore ramped up the difficulty.

Yig is definitely the most difficult AO to date according to Tib stats @ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArNdOESpLXrNdE5.... With the short doom track you need to pretty much plan on him waking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oded K
msg tools
I managed to beat Yig after he woke up on both of my attempts, but I lucked out and randomly drew Diana on both games. She makes Yig much easier.

I did have to face the serpent crown mystery both times though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We managed to defeat Yig after 2 previous attempts, it is Cthulhu 's defeat that has eluded us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Yig is bad ass. I manage to win with 2 and 4 investigator. But never ever with 3. 3 investigator is really difficult to play! About wake up:

Yig will wake up anyway! With only 10 doom track most of the time you will face him in fight. So yes i manage to kill him even with curse condition! HE is tough us true....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
4p versus him today (Serpent, Children, Crown), actually without Kane at first (we often avoid him when we have 4 meat people around). After sending both Akachi and Mark to the meatgrinder Kane did make an appearance in the end though. Even when equipment is not as key a concern anymore (sure, more equipment is always good, but less so when its just "more stuff", not "getting off the ground in the first place") he is pretty awesome. Not having that action grant option around makes a group feel so crippled.

Anyway, was pretty close, after some ludicrous topdecking for serpent crown (Mi-Go loot to tutor the crown, backup expedition then instead yielded brain case to shuffle the crown to the proper person, unrelated generic City yielded a Tome too. all in one round. O.o ) we killed Yig on like 2 Mythos cards and 4 tokens on his sheet left. Or maybe that's "closeness" normal for an awake Yig, most times (at least solo) I do even him before he wakes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2P games? Not good! One win out of about 12 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have only played once. First mystery.....Serpent Crown. Had two rumors and 2 epic monsters (at one point had 4 different monsters that had an activation that could add a doom token).

Was not our game. Woke before we even completed the Serpent Crown.

First time we ever lost a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Akmal
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm a solo gamer and i can't even defeat Yig with 2 investigators...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gustave154 wrote:
I'm a solo gamer and i can't even defeat Yig with 2 investigators...
The game is very hard with 2 Investigators: although bad stuff doesn't spawn much, neither does the good stuff. You also have mobility issues that exacerbate the problem of low availability of the good stuff (by which I guess I mean Clues in the main). Of course that will trigger a million responses telling us how easy it is to win against Yig with two Investigators on hard mode, but my advice would be to try it at the Designers' sweet spot of four Investigators (harder to manage, I know).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Akmal
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll try playing Yig someday with 4 investigators.
Let's hope I don't go insane trying to manage them all =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
Crushed every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E
United Kingdom
East Grintead
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First time against Yig last night. And he kicked the 3 of us. Hard.

Drew white ship as our second mythos card.

All gates opened when in turn four, we subsequently drew that mythos card that makes you draw and resolve another mythos card from the box. Two reckonings for the price of one.

The second reckoning also forced the flip result of Investigator 3s Dark Pact and he was devoured.

Yig awoke in turn 6 I think.

By turn 8 we'd come close to having all monsters out, but ultimately it was running out of Eldritch tokens on Yig that sealed the deal.

Only investigator 2 was alive at this time, although that might be false hope, seeing as how he had Debt, Amnesia, poison and Back Injury conditions.

We didnt solve a single mystery.

Couple of points: We're relatively new to the game. We take random investigators. I think if we face Yig again, we'd go to the unholy trio of Silas, the politician and the redeemed cultist which has carried us through previous games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Djordje Petrovic
United Arab Emirates
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played against Yig only twice.

The first time it was a 2 player (2 investigators) game, in which Yig awoke within an hour and I believe that we were not even close to finishing the first mystery. It was a combination of bad rolls, usual mobility issues, and Murphy's law being applied.

The second time, it was a 6 investigator game (with Antarctica sideboard), in which we have managed to almost close the third mystery by the time Yig awoke - Antarctica adventures really helped in advancing the mysteries. Once spawned, there were maybe five cultists that kept him from harm. Luckily, all of the investigators were prepared and around the space 7 (spawning location) and swarmed Yig. First action was to throw dynamite, which killed all of the cultist outright, and bringing Yig to 66% of it's health. Intervene was cast on the first fighter who wielded Blunderbus skillfully and managed to bring Yig down after the first round.
That play-through lasted ~390 minutes, however we were super excited and happy, as this was the first time I beat the game at all (I usually play solitaire with 2 investigators).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're now 0-for-3 with 2 investigators. The best we've done is solving one mystery by the end (well, we had two solved the last time, but we lost one due to that one Mythos card). None of them felt close. None of them really even were fun.

It'll be a long time before I pull Yig out for a game again, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait. You mean some people actually win games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my fiancee played 3 games against Yig, 3 defeats, all of them with 2 misteries solved! That snake is vicious but we will be victorious!
We have our tactiv tuned in the ordinary game. Stay focused on the misteries people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that the Focus action makes things a little easier. We didn't know about it, since we've been playing with just base + FL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
My partner and I just beat Yig with 4 investigators (Leo Anderson, Diana Stanley, Ursula Downs, and Agnes Baker). This was our 4th time facing him (all the previous games were losses). We got the Serpent Crown mystery and Doom reached zero. It was close, we were down to our last turn. This game was super long, it took us 5 hours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.