Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it my imagination, or is this game not balanced very well?

It seems that any skirmishes that have Jedi in them become a lesson in futility. Unless it's a straight up Jedi battle, any military-like skirmishes are useless if Jedi are involved.

Thoughts? Reactions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the game is quite well balanced, although like a lot of people I believe that something needs to be done with Grand Admiral Thrawn. People playing Jedi need to be able to use flexible tactics and use the map to their advantage. I play Jedi all the time and can tell you that yes, they die quickly if you rush them up without thinking. Playing against Jedi, I look to build combined-fire combos for good shots with my heavy shooters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:
Is it my imagination, or is this game not balanced very well?

It seems that any skirmishes that have Jedi in them become a lesson in futility. Unless it's a straight up Jedi battle, any military-like skirmishes are useless if Jedi are involved.

Thoughts? Reactions?

Do you mean that the Jedi are useless, or the other figures are useless? I can't tell straight off, because even in hard-core tournament settings, both kinds of forces are frequently used.

In casual play, I find this game works out about as it should. Lots of guns can take down a Jedi /if/ you can keep the Jedi from reaching you. If they get close, scrubs don't last long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Noneyobusiness
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
No, it is not your imagination. Yes, the game is poorly balanced.

Given the basic design of the game, as well as the official maps, melee have always been at a severe disadvantage to the ranged units.

Consequently, the Jedi-centric squads have always had an uphill battle against the ranged squads. Nevermind the movies where the Jedi/Sith were the end-all be-all of combat.

I have been with this game for some time & have complete sets of everything except the most recent one. Sadly, the game is becoming even more unbalanced over time. "Sadly" because this game had the potential to be great if only they hadn't continued to make so many mistakes. Sigh. shake

From the first set, the Jedi were at a disadvantage. With the constant expansion of powers against Jedi with each set - Jedi Hunter, Force immunity, auto-initiative with Thrawn, etc., the Jedi only become weaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sharp
United States
Bogart
Georgia
flag msg tools
The Jedi are powerful, but you have to be careful with them. If you use them as a human wave, you will lose them quickly to even a moderately skilled ranged player. Keep them in cover. Screen them with cannon fodder if you have to, but keep them in cover and out of the targeting brackets of big combined shots. Don't be afraid to spend a Force point to move them a bit further if it puts them in an excellent position. Don't be afraid to make the ranged enemy come to you.

I think the game is nicely balanced in general, although of course there are some flaws when you look at specific characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.