David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've completed the Commonwealth counters as suggested by Kozure with a few additions of my own, e.g., a few of the usual types of Commonwealth tanks found in Normandy and Italy; Bren teams etc. I also created the necessary cards for an Italian terrain deck ... simply sleeve the Korean deck, hide the backs with the new back, and then replace the fronts of the eight rice paddies with four each of orchards and vineyards (numbered from 17-24, only two shown here).

Pictured below.

Comments welcome before I trim them and post them to the files section (i.e., wasn't sure how many steps to allow the Universal Carrier to transport, for example). For example, I inaccurately labeled the rifle platoons 1, 2 and 3 although if I wanted to be accurate with the Royal Regiment of Canada badge I would re-label them 3, 4 and 5 rifle platoons. I can replace the RRoC badge with a more Commonwealth-neutral symbol if people would prefer, since the RRoC didn't serve in Italy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Commonwealth and Italian terrain rough work
Only two requested changes so far ... please feel free to add to the list or comment on these:

1. Generic British roundel on squad unit (back and front), not specific unit badge.
2. Reduce Universal Carrier transport capability to (2). With a standard crew of four ... NCO, driver/mechanic and two riflemen ... and the large centre engine and drive shaft hump you could only cram another 5 (sometimes 6) infantrymen into one.

What do people think about:

1. Removing the -1 burst modifier on the vineyard?
2. Adding S/C fire capability to the Universal Carrier, assuming it's a Bren-equipped model? In that case, maybe it'd also become a one-step unit with a fire team on it's reverse?

Thanks for the geek mails everyone. I will post the files shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Commonwealth counters and Italian terrain deck cards ... preview
Impressive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I request a Falkland/Malvinas Campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already approved!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/105900
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/105901

Okay, I've uploaded two PDFs files and waiting for approval they're already online. Thanks BGG Admins! The first is a two page counter file with 105 new British/Commonwealth counters, and the other one is a three page file with the 14 revised cards (and a page of backs) for sleeving the Korea deck and changing it into a 1944 Italian theatre deck.

Notes about things that have been changed from the above:

1. I added Italian village cards (5) and an Italian cemetery.
2. I put instructions on the two 8-1/2x11"-sized PDF files I've uploaded.
3. I left the Royal Regiment of Canada badges. The British roundel didn't look good on the counters. (Apologies to Brits and my fellow Commonwealth players. I simply liked the look of the badge on the counter and have ties to that (now reservist) infantry regiment. If someone wants to suggest a better symbol that represents the Commonwealth nations as a whole, I'll fix that up and post an updated file.)
4. I changed the Universal Carrier to transport only 2. I also added an extra Universal Carrier counter in the empty spot with a firepower rating.
5. I fixed the Vickers to read "MMG" not "HMG".
6. The vineyard terrain card does not have the -1 burst symbol now.

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a small sneak peek of the three pages in the card file (the counter sheets have trim marks included) ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, impressive! wow

Could you explain what the S+ VoF means on the rifle platoons? I suppose it stands for the Bren gun attached to the platoon? What effect does it have in game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
Wow, impressive! wow

Could you explain what the S+ VoF means on the rifle platoons? I suppose it stands for the Bren gun attached to the platoon? What effect does it have in game?

In the Commonwealth variant thread fellow BGG user Kozure started (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/433590/commonwealth-fields-f...), he has suggested that the Bren itself, not being belt fed, doesn't rate an "A" rating. But it does provide more firepower. The "S+" indicates that when that unit attempts to concentrate fire they are allowed to draw an extra card for that attempt.

Chris' suggested notes about British and Commonwealth troops follow:

1. Each battalion had a platoon of 4 Vickers MMGs (A-> V) but these units were attached on an as-needed basis, and were not organic to the company.

2. Ammunition for 2" mortar included HE and smoke rounds [hence my "G!Sm" rating]. Further research to determine exact numbers pending.

3. PIAT. a) Number of "bombs" for each PIAT to be determined. b) The PIAT can be fired from inside building cover, unlike the bazooka, panzerfaust or panzerschreck. It is limited to P-C range, and is not as effective as the bazooka at C range.

4. The Bren light machine gun carried by Commonwealth sections is not a belt-fed weapon and does not rate the broad jump in firepower from small arms to automatic VOF, but attempts to concentrate fire by units equipped with the Bren (all Commonwealth 3- and 2-step rifle sections, but not fire teams) gain an additional card draw when attempting to concentrate fire. [Hence my "S+" rating.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PIAT ammo load. The standard ammo carrying case held three, as shown in this firing range picture from 1943 in Tunisia below. Note the assistant has a Thompson SMG btw. Now, how many of the three projectile cases were transported by a PIAT team into a specific encounter? I suspect only one ... I'd give a PIAT team 3 ammo.

2" mortar ammo load. The 2.25lb 50mm mortar shells were carried in three conjoined tubes that held three rounds each. I've read reports that suggested that as much as 2/3rds of 2"mortar ammo was smoke, as the device was most often used by platoons to lay smoke to cover an assault into close combat or flanking movement by the non-Bren teams (the famous 4F tactics). So maybe to keep things to scale, since 9 seems too many, I'd suggest we allow the 2" mortar teams 6 rounds ... 4 smoke rounds and 2 HE rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
I left the Royal Regiment of Canada badges. The British roundel didn't look good on the counters. (Apologies to Brits and my fellow Commonwealth players. I simply liked the look of the badge on the counter and have ties to that (now reservist) infantry regiment.

Looks good, some minor notes:

The CSM should be a Warrant Officer II Class, you have him showing as a WO I Class with Royal Arms badge. Should be a crown-in-wreath.

Also, the company commander's insignia is the current St. Edward's (Queen's) crown of a Major, which was adopted in 1952, should probably be a Tudor pattern (King's) Crown.

2nd Lieutenants as platoon commanders are a possibility, but I always thought it more common for these to be full Lieutenants, i.e. two rank stars.

I don't know for sure, but "Litter Team" sounds like American terminology on the face of it. It could very well be CW also, but it may be worthwhile investigating if you haven't done so. The term I've always seen for a soldier tasked as medical aid is "Stretcher Bearer." They had a special brassard in white with the red letters "S.B." on them.

The red/white/red tactical recognition flash might be another suggestion instead of the roundel if these are only for use in Italy.

As an aside, my current company commander served with The Royal Regiment of Canada and yells at me every time I forget to capitalize "The" as it forms part of the proper name of their title. Apparently The Royal Canadian Regiment are even more anal about it, probably because they are a regular force regiment (and, confusingly, not the same regiment.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael, I'll incorporate those changes in an update. Would the no.2 in the PIAT crew though have a weapon to carry (SMG or rifle) in addition to the projectiles? Also, isn't the red-white-red (or its reverse) flash specifically reserved for armoured units?

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 2 of the counter sheet has been uploaded and is waiting for approval. Fixes as pointed out by Chris above:

1. Stretcher bearer terminology and "SB" patch on counter.
2. Platoon HQ, Company HQ and Company Sergeant Major helmets now show the correct rank badges.

Available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick McKown
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave,

Good stuff! Very nicely done. A couple points that don't effect the counters--

Re 2-in mortar ammo, this source suggests that smoke ammo was issued in larger quantity than HE (18 Smoke, 12 HE per platoon, also mentions Illum but gives no numbers): http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Weapons/Mortarsandguns/M...

Re PIAT, this source, based on the unit establishments, indicates that there were no permanent "PIAT teams" in a CW Rifle Coy; the weapons were held at Coy HQ but the manpower for them came from Pl HQ or (more likely) one of the Rifle Secs: http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Commonwealth/Canadian/ca...

As Chris originally suggested, way back when, the solution in FoF would be for the three PIATs to be held as Coy assets and issued to one Sec per Pl (like the US rifle grenade except the Sec would lose a step to generate a PIAT "team").

Ciao,

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All great info, thanks, Rick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Rick's answer - the PIAT no. 2 would definitely have carried a secondary weapon. So would the no. 1.

For a full accounting of men and weapons in a Canadian infantry battalion, see TWJ Issue 3 - and the article by Dan Martel. He describes in detail the evolution of the official War Establishments throughout the war - and note that the Canadian infantry battalion W.E. was *not* the same as the British infantry battalion organization, a mistake many sources (including websites) perpetuate.

In 1942, Canadian infantry were organized on a W.E. called Cdn II/12F/2, and this rapidly progressed through Cdn II/12/F/3, Cdn II/233/1 and Cdn II/233/2. In April 1943, a British BWE II/233/2 formed the basis for a Canadian proposed organization used on Sicily, which a number of changes for Canadian practice, and changes continued to be applied for the duration of the war. Among the changes were the number of PIATs in the battalion.

As Rick notes, those in the rifle companies seem to have been held in company HQ, but how they were deployed was up to individual units. The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada famously created a Tank Hunting Platoon - Smokey Smith was serving with this sub-unit when participated in his Victoria Cross action at the Senio in October 1944. Smith was armed with PIAT and Thompson during the action and used both to good effect (knocking out a PzKpfw V and stopping a platoon of troops). I believe some units did deploy PIAT teams as part of platoon HQ but don't have a solid source near to hand. The Seaforth history talks about the tank hunting platoon which if I recall correctly was something of an experiment and possibly short-lived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick McKown
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the introductory remarks made by Gary Kennedy (the "bayonet strength" author) for each nation's infantry battalion page I believe he was citing the respective Canadian and British versions of WE II/233/2 as he highlights the differences.

Gary makes a comment here (http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/toe/example_toe.htm) that certainly supports Michaels's final point: "Caution should be exercised in any study of the officially sanctioned and compiled TOE. These documents described how the army thought it units should look. In combat units were organised in the manner the soldiers involved knew they should look. The British Army, not an institution known for encouraging individualism, actually marked its tables as 'suggested' organisation, recognising the need for amendments to be made to fit local circumstance." If one has been able to research the actual practice of the unit in question during the period being depicted then their distinctive practice can certainly be reflected in a game like FoF; in the absence of such information (especially when dealing with multiple units or various times within a campaign) I think our best bet is to use the unit establishment and such descriptions of generic "practice" as can be found to give ourselves as gamers the "tools" to work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is some stellar work, David! You've done a better job than I would have, so I'm almost glad I didn't have the time to do it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing! Are you working up a campaign for this as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Hudiksvall
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Amazing! Are you working up a campaign for this as well?

*Bump*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, no campaign as much as I'd like to. My own publishing projects and finishing the rulebooks to a game about to be sent off to press have taken my time for months and months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.