Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know neither of these are considered awesome for two, and I'm also aware Love Letter has a pseudo 2 player sibling, Braverats.

.. but, all of that not withstanding, which one works best with 2?

I'm having a desert isle moment in a few weeks; I'll be traveling with my partner, and we will have only 2~3 games with us. These games will be all we have for a month, so repeat play variance is big.

The games will be:

1. Citadels.
2. Coin Age.
3. *maybe* a hacked down copy of Spyrium...

...and either Love Letter or Coup.

Most of what I've written is really just for perspective. The real crux of my question is in the subject bar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither work with two. If you forced me, and you would have to force me, I would say Love Letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think they are both going to get old with only two players. Love Letter was too luck dependent with two players for me, and Coup I don't know. I just don't see it working with two, you get used to how your opponent plays, so they have to play differently on purpose, and then it becomes a luck game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither. Neither are really any fun with two players to be honest. I'd rather not play any game than either of those 2 player. Surely there are things other than a card game you could be doing whilst traveling. But if you must get one of the two, I suppose Coup. But for no real reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saloonstudios wrote:
I think they are both going to get old with only two players. Love Letter was too luck dependent with two players for me, and Coup I don't know. I just don't see it working with two, you get used to how your opponent plays, so they have to play differently on purpose, and then it becomes a luck game as well.

Love Letter is almost entirely luck based at all player counts. It's still reasonably fun to play while drinking, since it goes by so quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Some games my wife likes that are portable would be
Gloom
Rise!
Hanabi (May not hold up with only 2 people over a long period of time)
Fleet (slightly less portable)
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (slightly less portable as well unless you ditch the box)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BraveRats is really good. I would pick that over the other two. Not a big fan of the theme though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with what's been said. I wouldn't get either for two. There are so many other excellent small two player games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grab a deck of cards and play Cribbage, or hundreds of other great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know about Braverats, which is Love Letter made for two players. I'm going to suggest two games:
Council of Verona - still a small box, but a lot of thinkyness(tm) in the play, and it will seat up to five.
Splendor - out of the box, and with some tiddlywinks for the chips (or coins, or card chits with coloured sharpie scribbled on them) this game is surprisingly tiny (I fit it in a deck box).

The best option may just be a basic deck of cards, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parade is really cool and works well with 2.
And of course the amazing Jaipur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis is a great 2 player card game with a very small footprint.

Sushi Go! is a cute small card game that uses a drafting mechanic similar to 7 wonders. It takes up very little space and has a decent 2 player variant in the rules.

And you can't go wrong with Qwixx as a small, very portable dice filler that works great with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to have a lot of fun playing Love Letter with just my wife. Games go by quickly and we can play a couple in a short amount of time. I don't mind it being so luck-based at all. I have the princess as my first card and am forced to discard it or my wife uses a guard on the first turn and guesses whatever I have? Whatever, we can easily start another round in a couple of seconds.
Of course my wife isn't a gamer at all. So that is the intro game I picked up to start playing with her and it seems like a hit. I own Coup but have yet to try it and cannot comment on how it would play with two. I bought it and Reformation actually.

I'm looking to pick up Masques, Mascarade, Citadels, and Hera and Zeus. All of those seem like they might work well with my wife.

I would recommend picking up at least Love Letter. You say you can only take 3 games with you? Include Love Letter and make it 4. Love Letter is dirt cheap and can easily fit in another box, backpack pocket, pants pocket, wherever. It takes up hardly any space at all.

EDIT: Oh! In addition to the luck not bothering me due to how short the game length is, another reason that the luck doesn't bother me is it gives my wife a chance to win. I imagine she wouldn't want to play any games with me if she lost all the time. And the luck in Love Letter has enabled her to win several times. So that is fine with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
smorange wrote:
Neither work with two. If you forced me, and you would have to force me, I would say Love Letter.

This. Love Letter would be the 'better' two player game, but neither are particularly good two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could easily bring Love Letter, but I can't imagine playing it over and over. Ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love letter works fine with two; coup does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not related to your question at all, because I think both Coup and Love Letter nearly boil down to a coin flip once they get down to two players (unless one already has an advantage), but you can get a copy of Sun Tzu for around 10 bux.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you're looking for something fast and simple, or just small that plays well with 2.

If the latter, take a look at both:
Battle Line and
Rivals for Catan

They both play a bit longer than Love Letter or Coup, but still in 45 mins or so. Battle Line is actually much more strategic than it appears at first, which is why my wife and I like it. Simple to learn, but the strategy gets deeper eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter holds up much better with two than does Coup. Neither is great at that count, but Love letter is definitely the better call there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhNz wrote:
And of course the amazing Jaipur

+1 Jaipur
Love this game!

If you have to choose Love Letter or Coup, then choose Love Letter. But it's kind of like playing Go Fish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played Love Letter 2-player a few times. It technically works, but it agree that it's pretty random. It's not uncommon to win or lose a round on the first card. But it's not a bad way to kill 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at: San Juan, Saint Petersburg, or maybe Race for the Galaxy? All play well 2-player, with decent replay value, and all pack down quite small due to being (essentially) card games where the box/board isn't needed or is non-existent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Spyrium will give you far more mileage. Council of Verona plays better with two than LL or Coup. If you get Coup, play rounds with 3 cards. However, LL is a cleaner more playable game with 2 than Coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that choice, I'd say "Love Letter."

It is a fun game (as long as you take it for what it is). Don't forget that for 2P you set aside 4 cards (1 face down and 3 face up) each hand.

Here's a video of a 2P game of Love Letter: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/40411/love-letter/dice-to...

I agree that Jaipur would be a better choice: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/46028/jaipur/dice-tower-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player LL was one of my worst game experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.