Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or is it merely playable with 2 (a footnote of functionality, like Power Grid's potential as a 2 player, despite not a soul enjoying that experience)?

The Geek page says it plays with 2, and I stumbled across a few forum discussions of hacking it down to two that seemed to intrigue people (I guess it was 3+ originally, yeah?), but not a lot of info on whether it's worth purchasing for 2.

I have a group and will have options to play it with more, but plan to be on a deserted isle with my partner for a month where we're likely to play it many times alone (it will be one of the few games in our bag, if I purchase it).

Second question: A first games of this a bit of a drag? Seems this game demands familiarity with the full range of card powers before the bluffing feature (i.e. the game?) comes to full display. Do the rules address this in some fashion, or is it a trial by fire kind of learning curve (i.e. boring initial games, but better as familiarity grows)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, every game of Coup ends up at two players eventually. In my experience, games are over pretty quickly once you get to two - unfortunately the player in the stronger position once it gets down to two people is very frequently the eventual winner as there isn't another target to deflect to.

I love this game, but if you only have two players, I would say there are many more games that will play better at that number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this with just 2 about 40 or 50 times. It holds my attention, but it is virtually impossible for someone to come back once they're down a card (unless they have the assassin). Agreed that other games are better with 2...including Love Letter, though I think Coup is the better game overall. Citadels is another that I quite enjoy with 2. But probably my favorite game is perfect with 2, and very portable: RftG.

Familiarity with the cards should not take long at all. 4-5 games was suggested above, and I think it is even quicker than that. Keep in mind that there are only 5 different card types, which gives excellent odds at hitting one of every character in 2 games.

Or you could just take Netrunner core and a few expansions, swapping sides each day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
I've played this with just 2 about 40 or 50 times. It holds my attention, but it is virtually impossible for someone to come back once they're down a card (unless they have the assassin). Agreed that other games are better with 2...including Love Letter, though I think Coup is the better game overall. Citadels is another that I quite enjoy with 2. But probably my favorite game is perfect with 2, and very portable: RftG.

Familiarity with the cards should not take long at all. 4-5 games was suggested above, and I think it is even quicker than that. Keep in mind that there are only 5 different card types, which gives excellent odds at hitting one of every character in 2 games.

Or you could just take Netrunner core and a few expansions, swapping sides each day.

Funny, I own a maxed out Netrunner set, Race for the Galaxy (with Alien Orb) and Citadels, yet the Cult of New has convinced me I needed to purchase something a touch smaller for this trip.

This post has convinced me to save the bucks and just bundle up something I already have. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy it, but 3 is better. 2 is very quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned previously, the game always end up in two, so it's actually not a bad game for two. They don't call Coup the game that ends relationships for nothing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two-player game is basically decided by the first mistake.

The two-player endgame is very different - usually it's decided by the elimination of the third player, and rarely lasts long - the actual gameplay comes in the earlier portion of the game.

Technically, the rules work for two-players, but it's nowhere near as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look for games that last a little longer with two players.

Lost Cities would be my suggestion if the game has to be physically small. If you put the cards in a bag or come up with a smaller box then it becomes very portable.

Mr. Jack has the deduction aspect, so that may be worth looking into, but I'm not sure if the physical size is what you're looking for. There's also a Mr. Jack pocket, but I don't know anything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
JJRR_Esq wrote:

Funny, I own a maxed out Netrunner set, Race for the Galaxy (with Alien Orb) and Citadels, yet the Cult of New has convinced me I needed to purchase something a touch smaller for this trip.

This post has convinced me to save the bucks and just bundle up something I already have. Thanks.

If my wife were willing to play Netrunner with me, I'm not certain I would need another 2-player game. Except maybe RftG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the two player rules. I find them interesting and a bit of a challenge. Decided on which card to pick first and then a random. EPIC! It's very quick but if you're waiting on friends to arrive I think it's a perfect way to pass the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
2 player is fun, and actually a very good way to get to grips with the game before playing with more players.

It's not the same as the end-game because the rules are different. There are 2 varieties suggested, the one we like is where you each get 1 free choice card and the other is dealt randomly from all the cards that weren't chosen. So a big part of the game is which card you choose.

Interesting metagames develop, and because you are each focused on the other you really feel the pressure when you bluff.

That said, it's still very fast, probably under 5 minutes per game. So I would suggest keeping score and play best of 5,7 or 9. That would take you about 30 minutes. If you're going to play for much longer than that, there are probably better choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels at 2p is a significantly better game. Even Mascarade is better at 2p than Coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.