United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I've spent the last month rewriting the 'Geek Marketplace completely from scratch and it's getting close to release. Here's a video overview that I did with Lincoln from GameNight! showing him some of the new features (and finding some bugs while doing so). If all goes well this will launch at the end of July or first week of August.

Note: The marketplace was originally written in 2002, and only updated a few times to fix bugs since then. I tried to keep from adding a bunch of new stuff to this first version of the rewrite - but now that it's in a better state to work with - we will be iterating and improving it with new features.added.

• [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
Designer of two games and one expansion
badge
This space is available for rental
mbmbmbmb
It looks amazing!

In Poland we mainly use polish forums (http://gry-planszowe.pl/forum) - so far we didn't switch to BGG. But at least half of posts there, are posts about selling games. I started to write a small marketplace myself but only began doing so. Geek Market would be great place for polish gamers but there are some questions I have (I know that Geek Market is not launched yet and now I'm going to ask for new functions but if anything of my wishlist would be possible - that would be great)

- Shipping: Do I understand correctly that first option in "Ship to Location" will be "Will ship to [MY COUNTRY] only"? Is it the same for searching?
- Localization: Are you thinking about localizing Geek Market to other languages? I would love to help if you need help
- Currency: Is there a possibility for list of currencies to have a currency from my location? (in case of Poland it's zł / PLN)

It looks great and I hope it shows the direction BGG is heading (on a side note: Bootstrap and AngularJS? )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great improvement, kudos!!! meeple

May I add a small suggestion? When filtering for Condition, I usually would look for "Good or better", so I would opt for an automatic "Or better" addition or checkboxes for filtering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll repeat here what I said on the youtube page:
1) the 'or better' checkbox Ron is mentioning
2) when looking for games to buy, it'd be great to have an option to filter by the country/region the game is shipping *from*. This would help us quickly find games available without paying a small fortune for shipping/customs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly awesome! As a European BGG user, may I throw in a few suggestions - especially some to make users outside of the US feel a little bit welcome as well:

#1 The filter should include languages and sellers should be forced to select the languages of the games they are selling. I think this is by far the most important missing feature.
I clearly state the language for every game I offer. Yet at least 1 in 4 customers write to ask what language editions my games are or even worse they buy right away only to realize later that it's the wrong language. This has cost me hours of avoidable replying to mails and quite a bit of money, too.

#2 Let marketplace items be linked to VERSIONS instead of games. This way, all the necessary info like publisher and languages would automatically be included which would also solve my issue #1.

#3 I'd like to have some payment options that are not specific to the US. Like wire transfer (or even better: SEPA transfer) which is the most important payment option for about 500 million people in the EU.

#4 The arbitrary regions specified in "Will ship to the following locations" are useless in regards to international shipping. I propose to either list individual countries to check or at least use sensible regions of politico-economic unions like, again, the European Union.
For example: Although I live in Europe, the "Europe" region doesn't differ in any way from regions like "Middle East" or "Mexico & Central America" in regards to shipping. But "European Union" on the other hand would make a HUGE difference because first of all it is a well defined region and even more importantly: For shipping within the EU I pay about half as much as, for example, shipping to Switzerland which is in the middle of "Europe" but not in the EU.

#5 Please make the rating mandatory or at least send notes to buyers to remind them of these things. I have 182 items sold but only 96 ratings, that's just a little more than half. This looks bad on my profile even though I am not aware of a single case where a customer was not satisfied. They just don't know that a rating option exists and when I ask them, they often don't find it.

#6 The Condition Policy is extremely subjective and does not reflect actual game conditions. For example, according to the policy, if a game has been played, it could be "Good" at best. I don't know how you guys handle your games but the games I played one or twice are usually in a way better condition that most "Like new" games I ever received. Also according to the policy items with "minimal wear and tear" should still be able to be gifted to a friend as a present? Who does that? I would never gift a game that shows wear and tear!
What I'm trying to say is that these definitions seem very much based on someone's personal standards. I'd rather see some objective criteria there.

Edit: I apologize for sounding a bit too confrontational in the comments above, it's not meant that way. I'm not a native English speaker and I often seem to come off as a bit too harsh when I try to make suggestions :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great. I have only used the geek marketplace in the past once as it was a littl confusing. Very streamlined.

Just one question Do you ever clear out your geekmail. You went to fast it looked like you had over 80000!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carcass One
England
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Another suggestion. I think there should be one-line descriptions allowed for games for sale on BGG front page and in the Marketplace section of the specific game page as well. That way sellers would have a chance to indicate instantly why they want $500 for a copy of Aquire (to use the example in the video) and would save buyers from having to click on the link to find out that information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:

#2 Let marketplace items be linked to VERSIONS instead of games. This way, all the necessary info like publisher and languages would automatically be included which would also solve my issue #1.

This !

This week alone I send over a dozen geekmails inquiring about the version of a game set for trade or for sale - a complete bloody waste of time for everybody involved, both for me and for those kind enough to reply to my inquiry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not "Happy"
mbmbmbmb
Looks great Aldie!

(And now we know what your voice sounds like... muahaha... you sound strangely normal. I had imagined the great Oz for some reason.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
White Dragon Enterprises
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Scott!

Looks good but some questions and requests:

1) Will there be an API to list games?
2) Will the format of the page where the game listing is shown to the buyer change from what it is now?
3) Before making a purchase, can you make shipping address mandatory for the buyer?
4) In the step after purchase but before confirmation, can you add another step confirming shipping costs? It would be nice not to have to send another e-mail to tell the buyer what the shipping cost is before you confirm the transaction. This is the case where shipping costs are not specified.
5) Is there a list of changes that you can send us in case you did not cover everything in the video?
6) Will the current listings carry over into the new system?
7) Will there be a cut off date on how old a listing can be and once a listing exceeds this, will it be deleted?
8) Will there be any changes to the auction methods currently used on BGG?
9) What is expected date that this will go live?
10) Can we put responses in a profile for things that may not change such as condition, payment method, shipping area, etc..., when making a listing for sale so that we don't have to do the entries every time?
11) Can there be a button for when a transaction goes wrong to notify the appropriate Admin of the problem. A small popup window you can write up the issue and send it on it's way.
12) Can there be another button where you can leave feedback without having to leave the transaction page? I get this question every month by new users.
13) Have the ability to block offers.

W. Rogers Abbott III
White Dragon Enterprises, Inc.

P.S. I keep thinking about this and should quit. I like the version idea! But would that mean we could list multiple versions of the same game? If that's the case, then I could list all the Dragon Dice boxes provided there is a version. I like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get not only the country, but the seller's zip code listed on the initial screen. I'd also like to be able to know the weight of the game so I can easily calculate the shipping costs from the USPS website.

Another piece of information that would be really helpful on the initial screen would be version. In your demo you wonder out loud which version the Acquire game is. I'd like to be able to tell that at a glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I tried to keep from adding a bunch of new stuff to this first version of the rewrite - but now that it's in a better state to work with - we will be iterating and improving it with new features.added.

This is the part I'm excited about. It already looks like a good improvement over the existing system, but I have confidence that Aldie & team will now be able to incrementally improve this further. Yea!

It's long overdue for BGG to be the marketplace hub for our hobby instead of ebay or somewhere else. (Maybe Aldie will add an auction system later!) Done well, this can be a boon for buyers, sellers, AND Boardgamegeek itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Note: The marketplace was originally written in 2002

it also looks like it wasn't written from scratch but like the (php) forum code and the geek store, you started with some free ware? At least that's the only reason I can think of for the existing MP to be so detached from BGG proper... almost even seems like it had it's own login at one point

In any case I'll wait until the roll out before making suggestions... fwiw somewhere there's a wiki that compiles the suggestions to the current/old system

one thing I hope that doesn't change (at least in the upward direction) is the current 3% commission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I missed it, but will notifications still only be going to the email associated with the account, or will they now also go to geekmail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1000 to having a one line descriptor under the item for version. Or even better, have a drop down menu to choose a version, and even have a drop down to include different expansions for the game.

That would be going above and beyond, but it would save time and help people understand why some versions are gold and others are cheap pap. Choosing Acquire was a great way to illustrate this.

With that out of the way, I love this system.v eck, you could have done 1/10 of what you did here and it would be better than the current system. Now if you could only work in auctions, you could nuke half the listings on that other site that sounds like feebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Aldie wrote:
Note: The marketplace was originally written in 2002

it also looks like it wasn't written from scratch but like the (php) forum code and the geek store, you started with some free ware? At least that's the only reason I can think of for the existing MP to be so detached from BGG proper... almost even seems like it had it's own login at one point

In any case I'll wait until the roll out before making suggestions... fwiw somewhere there's a wiki that compiles the suggestions to the current/old system

one thing I hope that doesn't change (at least in the upward direction) is the current 3% commission

It was adapted from the amazing tome called PHP Black Book - http://amzn.com/1588800539?tag=article-boardgamegeek-20

BTW, this code is not amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
+1000 to having a one line descriptor under the item for version. Or even better, have a drop down menu to choose a version, and even have a drop down to include different expansions for the game.

That would be going above and beyond, but it would save time and help people understand why some versions are gold and others are cheap pap. Choosing Acquire was a great way to illustrate this.

With that out of the way, I love this system.v eck, you could have done 1/10 of what you did here and it would be better than the current system. Now if you could only work in auctions, you could nuke half the listings on that other site that sounds like feebay.

Yes, versions will be forthcoming for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! A UX/UI overhaul has been well overdue on this system for a long time. Better design = more traffic = more sales = more commissions for BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume this will fix the current problems with selling items in the RPGG domain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
agorski wrote:
I assume this will fix the current problems with selling items in the RPGG domain?

Eventually, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
fwiw somewhere there's a wiki that compiles the suggestions to the current/old system

can't find the wiki (if it exists and not just a false memory of mine)... but did find the marketplace in the suggestion geeklist index....

Item for Geeklist "The BGG Suggestions Index"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

2) when looking for games to buy, it'd be great to have an option to filter by the country/region the game is shipping *from*. This would help us quickly find games available without paying a small fortune for shipping/customs.

Currently the BGG country system is pretty useless in Europe, and although the preview uses Europe, we'd be much better with EU (or both).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This looks great! I have been holding off selling items for a while, but once this goes live I will list a bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
With respect, another vote for keying on versions: when I want to buy a game, I (foolishly, perhaps) generally want a particular version of that game, rather than any old copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, On the existing system you can suspend individual games for sale as well as all games (for vacation,etc.) reasons. It appears in the new version there is only a toggle for all games or no games. Could you please retain the ability to suspend individual games, I have found it quite useful for various reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.