Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I enjoyed the way in which you clearly identified what you liked about the game, and also included some issues you had. Keep them coming! New reviewers keep things fresh here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, I couldn't agree more I love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree with you on all your 11thumbsup and 3thumbsdown.

I would just add for the box
1. It's small (that's a huge plus for me) but it's large enough to contain sleeved cards.

And a note for future expansions/promos: could be nice to have different shapes for Cruisers and Transports.

Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main negative point I have is the downtime - which is approaching the limit of what is OK in a four-player game, but with five it's too long between turns.

Oh, and the fact that the game doesn't play for very many rounds - I've not been counting, but I'm pretty sure that we've had games in which each player has only taken 5 or 6 turns. Not really enough to get any dort of big engine or combos going. Not sure why I seem to be surprised by this - in both Glory to Rome and Innovation if a player takes the time to build an engine they usualy end up doing very badly, as the game's over before they run their machine more than once.

Lots of variety in the game, though; I've played half a dozen games so far, and no two have gone the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
The main negative point I have is the downtime - which is approaching the limit of what is OK in a four-player game, but with five it's too long between turns.

Oh, and the fact that the game doesn't play for very many rounds - I've not been counting, but I'm pretty sure that we've had games in which each player has only taken 5 or 6 turns. Not really enough to get any dort of big engine or combos going. Not sure why I seem to be surprised by this - in both Glory to Rome and Innovation if a player takes the time to build an engine they usualy end up doing very badly, as the game's over before they run their machine more than once.

Lots of variety in the game, though; I've played half a dozen games so far, and no two have gone the same way.

I've had a game where 1 player only got 1 turn the entire game (3 vs 3 team game). He was not a fan of the game :P See my session report here.

That said, I enjoy the game but I wouldn't recommend the team game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3v3? Eek! I don't know if I would ever play this game with more than three players. The impulse loses strategic interest if at least one of your cards doesn't come back around to you. Plus the downtime is excessive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moramis wrote:
3v3? Eek! I don't know if I would ever play this game with more than three players. The impulse loses strategic interest if at least one of your cards doesn't come back around to you. Plus the downtime is excessive.

3v3 has each team with their unique impulse. It changes things completely and makes for a very newbie unfriendly game. I think it's great if players know what they're doing though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... Probably quite alien to non-gamers,

Ugh.

Other than that, awesome review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to get my copy! Me and the husband are big Innovation and Glory to Rome fans. I can't see how it could fail to win us over too. Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I preordered from CoolStuffInc, and am waiting for it to ship. Apparently, in regards to procuring this little gem, I (as usual) picked the longest at the checkout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phuntom wrote:
Geoff - I forgot completely to mention your Podcast. I remember now that it was actually YOU that introduced Impulse to me, in one of your secondary segments on the Long View Podcast.

I originally gave Innovation a try thanks to you as well - I've listened that episode TWICE, and really enjoyed it.

I had given my original copy of Innovation away to a friend, hoping (and succeeding) in encouraging more play by him and his family. I was a bit burned out on the un-expanded game at that point too. But after several months I found myself missing it again and again, and couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

Again, your podcast reminded me of Gamers Edge in Stroudsburg, where I was able to grab a copy along with both expansions at a good price, and we've been playing it with great enthusiasm.

Innovation and Impulse have been really fantastic games for my family and friends, and I probably have you to thank for introducing them to me

Thanks David! I'm glad you enjoy the show. I'm also glad you found The Gamer's Edge. It's growing into quite a nice store and place to play. Just played tonight with my kids, and we had a blast! I continue to love playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phuntom wrote:
@ Geoff:

Could you post the link here to The Long View episode where you previewed Impulse? I couldn't seem to locate it.

Because they are similar games from the same designer, maybe Glory to Rome (which I believe you did as well) and Innovation too?

Thanks! You can find them all at www.thelongviewpodcast.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Phuntom wrote:

3. Lack of background for the races. It would improve the theme, and cost nothing to have some background for your race and their starting technology. Maybe a slightly humorous slant? Perhaps poking fun at the 4x genreā€¦? (I love how Tom Wham used to do this in his designs - see File 13, The Awful Green Things From Outer Space, etc.).

This was always something I enjoyed about the 3rd Edition of MagĀ·Blast (Third Edition). The races are based on Sci-Fi tropes. While, I wouldn't want Impulse to be as silly, a little levity goes a long way.

Excellent review! Impulse has been on my want list for a while, but I just haven't been fully convinced. I'm still not, but I'm closer thanks to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.