Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Remember, only mechanized units (and formations/subformations) can be placed in Ex Mode. Since the 28th Div is not a full mech formation (it has three Leg Infantry units) you can't place that formation in Ex Mode. The only single unit allowed to go into Ex mode is the recon bn (that's a new system rule - recon units may individually go into Ex mode: this allows them to defensively screen or offensively move after combat).

Now what you could do is attach a combat command from an Arm Div (if you had it available) and just place that CC into Ex Mode (you are allowed to attach up to six units to any formation - so a CC can do it). That CC is a sub formation and mechanized, so just the units of that CC can then be placed into Ex Mode. Note that Leg Inf units that are motorized by TPs or organic Div Truck Points cannot be placed into Ex Mode.

You could also attach an inf regiment to a Arm Div and place part of or all of the Arm Div into Ex Mode and keep the infantry Rgt in tac mode and use the infantry to make the hole in the enemy def line and then exploit with the armor/mech units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
it is motorized but does not need to be involved also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to make sure I'm clear on this.

If you have a US armored division with multiple CC (each considered a sub-formation), then you could assign exploitation mode by CC without having to place the entire division in explotation mode. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5.3.0 Exploitation Mode: Units in exploitation mode are marked with an exploitation marker. These units move during friendly Exploitation Phases; they may not voluntarily move in any other phase. Only MUs may be placed in exploitation mode; leg units that have been motorized with TPs qualify as MUs for this rule. Units adjacent to enemy units may not enter exploitation mode, but are not forced to leave it by an enemy unit’s presence (except for 5.3.2 below, i.e., enemy units in PA mode).

So is this rule wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Okay guys, after consulting the developer and the latest system rules I have to confess that I gagged it a little.

5.3.0 is correct. Leg units that have been motorized may use Exploit move and go into Ex mode. But of course, the entire regiment has to do so, not individual units. Additionally, they still may not conduct overruns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TY Joe. Loving the system so far. And I understand errors, especially in complex systems. Gunny and I are learning the rules together, and I have a tendency to put the thumb screws to him in regards to specifics.

I read the rules, and thought any formation/subformation could be put into exploit mode, but only MUs could move during exploit phases. Gunny challenged me on that - only mech & armor formations can be put into exploit mode.

1. In regards to Maneuver Reserve, a formation in MR can switch to Exploit Mode (if it meets the requirements). Can non-MUs change into exploit mode, or MUs only?

2. If a formation is in Exploit Mode, do non MUs in the formation operate as if they were in tactical mode (perhaps moving and attacking), or are they immobile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
1. only MUs.

2. they operate in normal mode (tactical) and may not move during the exploit phases. Note that some formations and sub formations have a mix of Leg and MU units. The SS pz divs for example. In that case, you could put the form/subform in Ex Mode, but unless the Leg units were motorized with TPs, they would quickly be left behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.