Lewis & Clark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving backwards from St. Louis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
We played a game where one player decided to accumulate as many resources as possible in the beginning of the game and camp which would cause him to move to the very beginning of the river. In each subsequent turn, he would accumulate more resources (in this case canoes), buy cards, and then proceed to camp very turn because he could not move back any farther.

My question is whether or not there is a penalty for doing this, as he was able to jet up the river and end the game in 2nd place after spending the beginning of the game at the first space of the river and camp over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a rather large thread discussing exactly what you are talking about:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1138777/can-hang-back-an...

Essentially the answer is no. There is no penalty but there are many house rules suggested by people who have seen the same results you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
it is a viable strategy. Our group term it as "storing power for a cobra strike". however it is not easy to do and can be screwed over easily if the other players decide to start moving swiftly up the river.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a perfectly valid strategy - I don't see why anyone would have issues with it - and of course it's a strategy open to all. Thematically, the expedition is simply taking a longer time in it's preparation, whereas others might decide to head out earlier.

It also needs to be said that in the light of -

hsoj48 wrote:
he was able to jet up the river and end the game in 2nd place

-it's not a guaranteed winning strategy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
duckizz wrote:
it is a viable strategy. Our group term it as "storing power for a cobra strike". however it is not easy to do and can be screwed over easily if the other players decide to start moving swiftly up the river.

I had been in agreement with you, Eric, for the longest time; but I've recently become a convert to the "hang-back-and-tech-up-strategy-is-unstoppable" school of thought, mainly due to Tom Lehman's arguments at the above cited thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1138777/can-hang-back-an...

I think the only way it can be stopped would be if the hang-back player isn't doing it properly or if everyone is doing the very same thing. In the latter case, it would make for a very dull game.

This morning, both Anne-Cécile Lefebvre from Ludonaute and the game's designer, Cédrick Chaboussit, announced that they will have a fix for this problem at GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:

This morning, both Anne-Cécile Lefebvre from Ludonaute and the game's designer, Cédrick Chaboussit, announced that they will have a fix for this problem at GenCon.

Will this fix be in the form of a rules addendum, or some kind of physical object (board overlay, promo card, etc)?

I'd like to know so that I might have a chance to acquire it.

EDIT: I asked before I got deep enough into my subscriptions.

Quote:
We are now thinking about and testing various additional rules (some among your house rules) that could fix the problem. We just need time to review all the possible rules.
We shall publish an official erratum before GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ah andrew, good to know!

i wonder though if you place the extra mountain chits they provided near the beginning will it screw with plans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
duckizz wrote:
ah andrew, good to know!

i wonder though if you place the extra mountain chits they provided near the beginning will it screw with plans...

Apparently, they're still working on what this fix will be, so I guess we have to wait until GenCon to find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16492541#16492541
ludo naute wrote:
Hi everybody,
We (Ludonaute team) and Cédrick Chaboussit (the game designer) have thought about the various ideas you proposed. It seems to us that some of them were too final ;-), others do not really solve the problem. We do not want to see this strategy applied, this is not "in the spirit of the game".
So we have tested several additional rules and here is our conclusion:

To prevent the hang back strategy, we need to add two rules you must apply if your camp token is on the first spot of the route (5 steps downstream from St Louis) at the end of the encampment phase :
1- Discard all the Encountered Characters you have recruited since the beginning of the game. (you just keep in hand your 6 starting Characters).
2- Discard all the resources and Indians you have.

This way you start the new round with less than at the beginning of the game. There is no point in hanging back voluntarily anymore.

We shall publish this errata as an official addendum to the game rules next week. Meantime, we are open to your comments and feedbacks ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasoncarlough wrote:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/16492541#16492541
ludo naute wrote:
Hi everybody,
We (Ludonaute team) and Cédrick Chaboussit (the game designer) have thought about the various ideas you proposed. It seems to us that some of them were too final ;-), others do not really solve the problem. We do not want to see this strategy applied, this is not "in the spirit of the game".
So we have tested several additional rules and here is our conclusion:

To prevent the hang back strategy, we need to add two rules you must apply if your camp Scout token is on the first spot of the route (5 steps downstream from St Louis) at the end of the encampment phase :
1- Discard all the Encountered Characters you have recruited since the beginning of the game. (you just keep in hand your 6 starting Characters).
2- Discard all the resources and Indians you have.

This way you start the new round with less than at the beginning of the game. There is no point in hanging back voluntarily anymore.

We shall publish this errata as an official addendum to the game rules next week. Meantime, we are open to your comments and feedbacks ;-)

By "camp" she mean's "Scout" as corrected a few posts down in that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.