Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my podcast at www.thepartygamecast.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BGGers,

I just picked up a copy of this game at Target, and I love this toy, so it got me to thinking. What about making a game that used this boat, and the dexterity game, but put a little more game around it.

I was thinking of adding a deck of cards that had different journeys you wanted to take all over the seas to plunder parts of the world, but first you had to put a crew together. The dex game is how you set up your ships, the card would provide challenges and payouts.

Example as I see it:

"A run on the HMS Fortune"

"This boat is protected by the British Crown, so you will need a lot of eyes to see if trouble is coming"

Total number of crewman:6

Goal: Without losing any crew, use up to your full crew of 6 to place a crewmen in each of the 3 crows nests.

Reward:

I am not sure rewards, but gold, maybe parts of a treasure map that each pay less, but if you get the whole map you win instantly, and put in a rule you can either try a new card, or attempt to steal part of the map.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your ideas. Even with my kids the game needs a little more. I'm headed off on vacation, so I can't work on it now, but I will give it some thought as I'm driving.

FYI - I added ballast (2 wooden blocks) taped underneath. This stabilized the boat some and makes the game more enjoyable because you can get more penguins on board.

Keep the ideas coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my podcast at www.thepartygamecast.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for the version I hope to make, the unstable ship is the key. It makes it so low numbers of penguins are still a challenge. I think the ballasts are a good idea for standard play, but I think the keys to individual challenges are how unstable the boat is in its out of the box state.

As I think of ideas I will keep posting, this might make an amusing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One variant I thought of is "Daring Pirates".

On a player's turn, he points to a spot on the ship and wagers a number of chips he'll pay if the player can successfully put a Penguin Pirate there. The challenged player can take the dare or say you do it. In which case the original challenger must place his Penguin Pirate on the spot. If successful the placer receives the wagered amount, if unsuccessful the placer gives the wagered amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.