http://www.eggrules.com/games/games-d-l/gallerist-the/
badge
US Sales Manager for Eagle-Gryphon Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Info

Francis Drake!
3-5 players
120 minutes

I was invited to Kantcon in Overland Park, KS to demo some great games for Eagle & Gryphon games, one of those games was Francis Drake. I demoed Francis Drake twice over the weekend to several excited gamers, whom had never played the game before.

The first session took place on Friday, July 18th at 1pm. Dustin, Tonya, Casey and Ashli had all pre-registered for the event! I chose to play with the color red, Dustin took yellow, Tonya green, Casey played with blue, and Ashli went with orange.

The first round of Francis Drake is always a learning round for newer players. Most of the time players don't have a plan in place until round two and are just testing the waters, so to speak. The players seemed to pick up the game pretty quickly though! Dustin went first and grabbed an upgraded ship at the shipyard. I decided to jump out a little farther by visiting the Queen to get my upgraded ship. Next up, Tonya and Ashli both grabbed the last spaces in the shipyard. Casey decided to grab some crew with his first move.

Casey really seemed to like going after the trade goods, the rest of us mixed it up a bit with what trade goods we could get and pillaging of the towns, forts, and galleons.

By the second round, everyone seemed like they had figured out their various strategies and were putting those plans in motion. Casey even started getting in on the pillaging, as well as still getting the trade goods.

Going into the third round, I was in the lead. Thanks to spreading out my attacks to get the bonus at the end of each voyage for successfully attacking a town, fort, and galleon. This last round was pretty tense, as we were all fighting for the various resources we needed to complete our goals. After spending the game attacking, I knew I had several high valued pieces of silver, gold, and jewels in my treasure chest, but so did Casey and with a full set of trade goods.

In the end, Tonya scored 50 points, Dustin had 66, Ashli had 67, Casey got 97, and I ended up with 108. Everyone had a great time and it was an excellent start to Kantcon!

The next session happened July 19th at 1pm. This time I was joined by Clint, who had played once before, Greg & Alden whom were both new to the game. I played red again, Clint picked green, Greg went with orange, and Alden chose yellow.

This game started off pretty similar to the demo game from the 1st session, and I went with almost the same strategy. Going after the Queen in the first round and always making sure I got an upgraded ship. Trying to get at least one trade good each Voyage and spreading out my attacks to get the bonus points at the end of each Voyage. Clint went first and visited the shipyard, then Alden and Greg went. Going last, jumping to the Queen wasn't as big of a deal as it was in the first session.

The second and third voyages were were tense, as we all circumnavigated around trading & fighting our way through town, forts, and taking on galleons!

The final scores were:

Greg 87
Clint 96
Alden 104
Jason 105

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alden Schoeneberg
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfway through the first round, I realized that I wouldn't be able to upgrade my ship to a Galleon. So I focused on trade goods and acquired 3, leaving me just the indigo (which I earned during the 2nd round) to give me a complete set.

The second and third rounds, I loaded up on guns and also visited the governor, which allowed me to choose what the troop numbers were at each of the fortress locations. I got the battle bonus (City, Fortress, Galleon) each of those rounds and on the 3rd round prevented someone else from getting that bonus. (I can't remember whom)

I really liked this game, Jason. It is now on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Grantz
United States
Bel Aire
Kansas
flag msg tools
publisher
http://www.eggrules.com/games/games-d-l/gallerist-the/
badge
US Sales Manager for Eagle-Gryphon Games
mbmbmbmbmb
It was great playing with you Alden! I'm glad you liked Francis Drake, this has quickly become one of my favorite games!

CapoBro wrote:
Halfway through the first round, I realized that I wouldn't be able to upgrade my ship to a Galleon. So I focused on trade goods and acquired 3, leaving me just the indigo (which I earned during the 2nd round) to give me a complete set.

The second and third rounds, I loaded up on guns and also visited the governor, which allowed me to choose what the troop numbers were at each of the fortress locations. I got the battle bonus (City, Fortress, Galleon) each of those rounds and on the 3rd round prevented someone else from getting that bonus. (I can't remember whom)

I really liked this game, Jason. It is now on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.