Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've encountered mixed reviews of this as a 2 player only title. I **LOVE** Caylus, so this should definitely be joining my collection eventually, but am unsure whether it will work well with my primary player count (i.e. 2).

Thoughts?

In particular, I'm curious about any specific deficiencies you might see with that player count -- either card abilities that are rendered less impressive, or other elements which might be non-intuitive from an outsider's perspective.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I've encountered mixed reviews of this as a 2 player only title. I **LOVE** Caylus, so this should definitely be joining my collection eventually, but am unsure whether it will work well with my primary player count (i.e. 2).

Thoughts?

In particular, I'm curious about any specific deficiencies you might see with that player count -- either card abilities that are rendered less impressive, or other elements which might be non-intuitive from an outsider's perspective.

Thanks.

Hey. Be SURE to check out Spyrium, it's a good-good game. So, this game offers a complete different experience with 2 players and 5 players. Neither is better than the other, they're just different, as the game SCALES with the number of players.

With 2 players, there will be less money overall in the game, but buildings and technologies will also be cheaper to buy. With 5 players things get ridiculously expensive, as you're all cramped in the same board, but there's lots of money around.

Concerning also the "card abilities", there are some special cards, technologies, that offers various bonuses to the players. Some cards are more interesting with 2 players; some cards are more interesting with 5 players; some others are just good.

I've also played a LOT of Caylus; the games are different, but very interesting too, although Caylus is of course much more deep (and long) game. Spyrium, on the other hand, plays extremely fast with 2 players, in about 30 minutes. I totally recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could watch Rhado's video. He thinks it's a great two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:

Oh, I'm a long time Richard Ham fan -- but I did re-watch it today just for this purpose. Unfortunately, he only gave a passing commentary to the two player game, opting to spend more time defending the thematic relevance of the title (to my chagrin).

I'm getting a bit more out of the UnDead Viking and DriveThruGames reviews, but Rahdo is an awesome guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give my recommendation for this as a two player game. As a matter of fact, I prefer it with smaller player counts, as the complication factor isn't as high but there are still lots of choices to be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game multiple times at every possible player count. The sweet spot really seems to be 3, in my opinion. For other player counts, I slightly prefer the 2-player game to the 4-player game. I would not recommend playing with 5.

It does feel different with 2, mainly because you're dirt poor due to the lack of total workers on the board at any given time. So generally, each worker you use for money will net you less. For the most part, this self-balances the game economy, regardless of player counts. If you're both playing very aggressively and/or you're both going for the same strategy, you'll end up clustering more tightly on the grid. This will allow you to generate more money, but it will also increase the prices. On the other hand, if you stay out of each others business, you won't be generating much money, but the overall prices will be cheaper due to the lower density of the workers on the grid.

There are abilities that are more powerful at various player counts, but nothing abusable or broken. The biggest thing is that the Techniques (which each have a printed cost of 6) and the three VP buildings (with printed costs of 6, 8, and 10) are generally harder to get since the players have less money in a 2-player game. To counter this though, the character cards generally become a better deal since many times their only cost is based on the workers crowded around them. Activating the Adviser, Apprentice, or Engineer a few times at a cheap cost can be quite an attractive deal -- versus a 4 or 5 player game where these characters are typically quite expensive due to the crowd.

Anyway, that was a super long answer to your simple question, but maybe it'll help give you some insight into the dynamics of the payer count. I do strongly recommend the game for 2-4 players, due to the self-balancing nature of the game economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:

Anyway, that was a super long answer to your simple question, but maybe it'll help give you some insight into the dynamics of the payer count. I do strongly recommend the game for 2-4 players, due to the self-balancing nature of the game economy.

I definitely appreciated it, Chris.

Thank you (and my copy is in the mail ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I don't like the game with 2 players. At all. Even 3 players is so so. The game lacks tension on the board.
4 players is the best configuration to me, with 5 being very interesting but requires experienced players at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
ZdadrDeM wrote:

Oh, I'm a long time Richard Ham fan -- but I did re-watch it today just for this purpose. Unfortunately, he only gave a passing commentary to the two player game, opting to spend more time defending the thematic relevance of the title (to my chagrin).

I'm getting a bit more out of the UnDead Viking and DriveThruGames reviews, but Rahdo is an awesome guy.

Rahdo pretty much only plays two-player, so any comment he has, unless he specifies otherwise, is relevant to your question.

(Edit: Grammar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whangdoodle wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
ZdadrDeM wrote:

Rahdo pretty much only plays two-player, so any comments he has, unless he specifies otherwise, is relevant to your question.

Oh, I'm well aware. What I meant was that he spent 75% or more of his Final Thoughts defending the game's thematic strengths, but offered little analysis of the game play quality with two. Sure, he liked the game, I got that, and I can take that as general praise for the two player experience, but I'd have liked more. Another reason I turned to here instead of just his videos is that Rahdo seems to have little time to delve into a title multiple times, seeing as how he has so many vying for his attention. I'd like to think this is the kind of game that opens up a bit after repeated plays.

All that said, you guys already convinced me to pick it up. I'm looking forward to owning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.