Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
neuro researcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lgbp?Skull-Shackles-All...

Get excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't understand something about the Hirgenzosk : why you will want to fight him?
just lose the fight and don't use cards at all(it can't be defeated),take the 1d6+1 damage,don't discard card to absorb the damage(it doesn't matter how dammage your ship will take),then wreck your ship.
The next hero will have to do a simple check (craft 6 for the merchant ship for example ) to repair the ship at the beginning of his turn.

did i miss something?
why use a lot of cards to try a 30 combat check when you can do an easier check (to repair the ship) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
i don't understand something about the Hirgenzosk : why you will want to fight him?
just lose the fight and don't use cards at all(it can't be defeated),take the 1d6+1 damage,don't discard card to absorb the damage(it doesn't matter how dammage your ship will take),then wreck your ship.
The next hero will have to do a simple check (craft 6 for the merchant ship for example ) to repair the ship at the beginning of his turn.

did i miss something?
why use a lot of cards to try a 30 combat check when you can do an easier check (to repair the ship) ?

A couple of things, some of which is based on the videos from teh demo at origins. Lets say you and I are playing and you encounter Hirgenzosk and do exactly what you've described.

First, we'll lose plunder at the end of your turn for our ship being wrecked.

Second, you are assuming I'll be able to make the repair check. I think the Craft skill is what you use to repair ships. I might be a character without the Craft skill. If I don't make the repair check, we'll loose another plunder card at the end of my turn too.

Third, if our ship takes anymore damage (either you keep exploring after Hirgenzosk or I fail the repair check and explore) then I think we have to discard cards from the blessing deck for damage.

Fourth, while our ship is wrecked if you keep exploring, there are penalties in the "When Commanding This Ship" box on the "wrecked" side of the card. That might say "Subtract 3 from every check." Or "Damage you take is doubled." Or some other horrible thing.

So preventing the wreck will be better than just letting it happen. You don't have to defeat Hirgenzosk to prevent him from damaging your ship, you just have to succeed at the check. Yes, his power will render him undefeated, but as long as you roll higher than 30 your ship won't take damage still.

Obviously, if you fail the check and roll a 6, so you'll need to take 7 Structural damage, it would probably be better to let it wreck than to discard 7 cards to reduce the damage. Unless you have cards that help you reduce structural damage, which I'm sure we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:

yes,but it's not terrible,and better than using a lot of cards for the combat...?

269Hawkmoon wrote:

Second, you are assuming I'll be able to make the repair check. I think the Craft skill is what you use to repair ships. I might be a character without the Craft skill.

so you will have 1d4.You can't do 6+ with 1d4 and one or two blessing cards?
its seems easier than a 30 combat check for me....

269Hawkmoon wrote:

Fourth, while our ship is wrecked if you keep exploring, there are penalties in the "When Commanding This Ship" box on the "wrecked" side of the card. That might say "Subtract 3 from every check." Or "Damage you take is doubled." Or some other horrible thing.

ah ! now that's a bit more interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
269Hawkmoon wrote:

yes,but it's not terrible,and better than using a lot of cards for the combat...?

A lot of cards yes. It looks like Hirgenzosk will stick around for a while. He's in the Base Set and I'd imagine not only might it be a henchman in scenarios, but maybe part of a barrier too. Later, 30 might be more possible.

Even in a Base Set adventure, 30 wouldn't always be overly costly. Let's say you were Merisiel and encountered him. You had a weapon that allowed you to reveal it and recharge it for an extra die. Let's say you get 1d12 + 1d6 + 1d6. And Valeros is at your location, so you get 1d4. And Lirianne (who has a power like Harsk) is at another location so you get another 1d4. 32 is the max. If the blessing discard pile matches a blessing you have, no reason not to play it. So in that situation you could get up to 44 and only at the cost of recharging cards.

Again, that might be a rare occurrence early on, but if he sticks around for later adventures it becomes more possible with better weapons and upgraded powers.

Belsamoreth wrote:
269Hawkmoon wrote:

Second, you are assuming I'll be able to make the repair check. I think the Craft skill is what you use to repair ships. I might be a character without the Craft skill.

so you will have 1d4.You can't do 6+ with 1d4 and one or two blessing cards?
its seems easier than a 30 combat check for me....

2d4 gives me about a 38% chance to get a 6. 3d4 makes it an 85% chance. But again, we lost plunder (which seems like one of the best ways to upgrade your cards for rebuilding decks). So wouldn't we be better off playing 1 or 2 blessings to succeed at the 30 instead?

Belsamoreth wrote:
269Hawkmoon wrote:

ah ! now that's a bit more interesting [/q]

Yeah. I don't know that either of those exact things will happen. I just know bad things will happen while your ship is wrecked.

It is all really forcing you to make a choice. Do I spend resources to beat him or would spending resources to fix the consequences of failing be better? And really, this is a game that is all about trying to get you to make strategic choices. Dealing with the consequences might be the better choice, especially if you can't get anywhere near a 30. But there will be times where those consequences will make it worth spending 6 or 7 cards to not have to deal with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Hirgenzosk is in a location deck, how can you ever close it? Or do you just abandon that location after the encounter and hunt for the villain elsewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkpope wrote:
If Hirgenzosk is in a location deck, how can you ever close it? Or do you just abandon that location after the encounter and hunt for the villain elsewhere?

If he does show up in a location deck (and that is an if, he might just be summoned), then you can't close his location by defeating him or by emptying the location deck (he'll always be in there). Here are a few ways I can think of that would make that still work:

1. Another henchman is also in the location deck. Sort of like Here Comes the Flood, but with "closeable" henchmen. Or like Undead Uprising where henchmen moved to other locations.
2. The only way to win would require you to temporarily close his location or to force the villain to that location.
3. The scenario card has a power that renders him defeated.

I'm sure there are other possibilities too. But one way or another it looks like Skull and Shackles is going to have some big differences from RotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Mészáros
Hungary
Budaörs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Unless you have cards that help you reduce structural damage, which I'm sure we'll see.

We've already seen a card which reduces structural damage : Jirelle

She reduces structural damage by 1 as a passive ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.