Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I heard that they were making an Archer themed board game my eyes lit up. “This game could be so amazing!” “The show is hilarious, so hopefully the game will capture that spirit!” I thought to myself as I counted away the weeks until the game details were previewed.
I was very nervous about playing it because a few people on BGG got a hold of it and managed to get in a couple plays and the game was not received very well at all. So I went in to this being prepared for an abysmal gaming experience.
Now my copy of the game is finally here and it has been played, so let’s see how it went shall we?

OVERVIEW: “You’re in the Danger Zone!”

To set the stage, this game is based on the popular animated series Archer that can be seen on TV.
The show itself is about Sterling Archer, a well trained yet self sabotaging secret agent and his coworkers who take on high end clients and undertake tasks of espionage and high secrecy that invariably always end horribly wrong. Usually due to Archers actions.
But the show itself is about the characters within more than the missions. In addition to Archer himself, you have his mother, who is the head of their secret organization who has a heavy drinking problem as well as ulterior motives that have questionable morals at best.
Lana, the on and off love interest for archer who is hot tempered and always quick to throw an “I told you so.” Archer’s way.
There is also the staff that makes up the organization, consisting of a cast of eccentric off the wall characters that come together as one big dysfunctional, backstabbing, substance abusing, immoral family.
These people work together for hours a day and despite almost killing each other at every turn, they still manage to almost complete their assigned missions and despite failure after miserable failure, people keep hiring these people!
And during all the ensuing chaos and shenanigans and backstabbing, some of the wittiest and most hilarious dialogue emerges. The banter between this cast of people is so delightful and entertaining that if it could be captured in a game it would be… “amazing”.

So that is the synopsis of the TV show and what the game is intended to be. You take on the role of one of the 8 main characters of the show and go on a series of missions where you backstab each other and play witty remarks to attempt to boost your own ego and “get the upper hand” over your opponents, all while trying to solve a mission and get the ultimate rewards.

COMPONENTS: “Who taught you how to punch, your husband?”

I have mixed feelings on the components. The quality is over all good. The cardboard on the pieces and large location cards and score track is thick; the cards are of decent quality. Not great but decent. Since you do not do a lot of shuffling they do not need to be exceptionally sturdy.

My complaint is the graphic design and complete lack of character and effort put into the cards.
Each character has a semi-unique 20 card deck that is packed full of quotes that specific character says in the show.
I always get excited when I hear that there is character uniqueness, I feel it adds depth to the game. However after seeing the cards I would barely call them any different.
The card artwork is the same picture pasted over all 20 cards. It is just the characters face. That’s it. No scene from the show, no picture of them doing the action they are quoting. Just a simple picture of the character. Just 20 pictures of Pam cut and pasted on 20 cards.

The backs of the cards were also a missed opportunity for adding a bit of difference between decks. Every deck is the same color and design. The only difference is that it has each characters name printed on the back of them. I felt it was a bit lazy for the designers to not make each character a different color. I was very surprised to see them handled this way because on the front of the box the 5 shown characters clearly all have a different color card behind them! How were these not made into the final card backs for the game???
Seeing that lost a lot of points in my book as far as design elements go.
Granted the graphic design does not a game make, as long as the other areas of the game step up to compensate the game can still be salvaged.

So as per the cards themselves; they are a bit underwhelming as far as mechanics go. The majority of characters decks are identical in mechanics. The cards are very basic and most are no more than just, gain a point, or make someone lose a point. Every character has a few unique cards that capture a little personal flare. The best part of the cards is the quotes. When we played every time anyone played a card the table burst out in laughter. My friends love the characters we played and really did our best to impersonate them.
This is where the game really gives you a chance to shine. If you like to act and impersonate a character you will have a lot of fun with this. I had the joy of playing Mallory Archer and from the second I shuffled my deck of cards, every line out of my mouth all night was said in Mallory’s voice. The same goes for several other players at the table. Pam’s loud voice and Cyril’s complaining echoed through the room all throughout the game.

So mechanically there is no play difference from one character to the next as far as play style goes. You could pick up any deck and have the same play experience if all you care about is the mechanics. But if you can mimic the characters, it brings a whole level of fun to playing.

RULES: “Phrasing.”

The rule book is definitely well done. Granted it is a simple game so it is hard to mess up the rules of a game this easy but I still have to give credit where credit is due.
The book is filled with full color examples and plenty of picture references and is very easy to learn. I like that in a game when you can read the rule book once and get ready to dive in. You can be playing this game in less than 5 minutes.
They even have a FAQ in the back to outline some cards they feel may raise some questions.

GAMEPLAY: “Call Kenny Logins because you’re in the danger zone.”

So as I said, I originally had very high hopes for this game the moment I heard of its existence, and then I heard some other people’s reviews and was completely prepared to hate this game.

You begin the game by first selecting one of the 8 characters and take their “Unique” deck of cards that you shuffle and get to draw from over the course of the game. If you really want to maximize the fun you can have with this game, play it with people who like to role-play. I am fortunately blessed with friends who like me have performed in theater and love quoting shows. So we got into this game from the very first turn.

The game has an odd twist on how you play cards. Most games of this type that I have played start you with cards in your hand and you get to choose from them and play each turn. In this game you never have a hand, you just have to hope you roll a 5 or 6 on dice and then get to draw and play cards. I was nervous that players would not get to play many cards but nearly every player went through at least half of their deck.

I found that every time a player got to play a card it was a great moment that everyone enjoyed. When someone got play a card the table got quiet as everyone sat in eager anticipation of the witty quip that is about to be uttered. Will it help the player or hurt you? Then with a smile and a giggle the quote is uttered and the card is resolved. I would say every card played got a laugh from the table. On some lucky turns you get to draw 2 or more cards and pick the best of them to play and often times we were so hard pressed because some quotes were just so priceless to play.

Just like in the show when we played a card, the recipient usually fired back with a line that their character would say and we had several moments where if felt like we actually slipped into the show.

The game round is divided into 2 phases. The first phase takes place at ISIS headquarters. The players all secretly choose a room to go to in the ISIS building like Mallory’s office or the break room and everyone reveals which room they chose. Then starting with the first player, everyone places their character chip on their chosen room; the player arriving first at any room gets a bonus.
I really liked this mechanic. If you like a little bit of guessing where your opponents will try to go and trying to work around them you will enjoy this element. We had so much fun trying to decide where to go and the anticipation of watching the opponents flip their chips and hoping they did not pick the room you want out from under you.
As players start entering rooms and the first arrivers get their bonuses, the other characters that entered after get a chance to draw and play a card on someone in their room. This was a neat idea to represent the annoyance and chance for retaliation at being beaten to the prize.
I found there was a small element of strategy here as in late game, I was often trying to enter a room after the player who was beating me, just so I had a chance to draw a card and use it on them.

Once all characters have completed this phase, everyone goes on a mission together and the real backstabbing begins!

The mission is where the bulk of points can be gained. It is just a series of cards drawn from the mission deck that represent 4 kinds of challenges your characters must overcome: Booze, Brains, Guns and Sex.
Each character has a unique make up of stats that dictate what challenges they excel at. You will roll 3, 2 or 1 die to attempt to overcome a challenge by meeting or beating the challenge number and the better your character is at a trait the more dice they roll. For example, Lana is good at guns challenges and gets to roll 3 dice. So when those challenges come up she is eager to attempt them.
I did like this element of different character abilities because it does give the characters a slightly different feel. Archer is great at booze challenges while Cyril is good at brains challenges etc. So when you go on the missions you get your choice from the available cards on which ones to attempt. I should add that every character gets a bonus if they complete a mission that is outside of their specialty. I feel this is a nice twist. Do you go for the easy success for a few victory points, or do you go for the harder route to also earn a bonus?
I wish they played up these differences more in character design. Give each character a unique special ability that drives how they play, like Cyril gets to reroll his 1s or Krieger can discard a card for bonus victory points for example. Those little tweaks go a long way.

So that is the game in a nutshell. Pick you rooms in secret and hope to be the first to arrive and get a bonus like going first next round or drawing an event card or get a bonus this round.
Then you get a chance to play cards on others.
Then go on the mission and hope you roll well enough to pass it and again get a chance to draw and play a card that will give you more points or take them from others.

The winner is the first one to get 20 points. Simple.

The game has next to no skill involved and relies almost solely on how lucky you are at rolling a 6 sided die. Now for some people this may be an OK thing. Some people want their games to be as low on the competitive scale as possible and enjoy the winner being determined by the luck of the dice. Others like the game to be more about skill and I think here is where you will decide if you love or hate the game.
If you like games of skill and don’t care about role-playing and do not like random elements then stay away from this one. But if you like the random outcomes and being silly and impersonating Archer characters then the game will shine.

PROS: “Oh man! I am awesome!”

The game is simple to learn and easy to play. Great for bringing out as super light filler. If you hate spending 20 minutes reading a 20 page book have no fear, Archer will have you playing in no time.

It is good for a few laughs. If you watch the show you will get the quotes and chuckle quite a bit.
Also the game has huge role-playing potential. If you like to really become your character then this game will allow for just that.

Great drinking game potential. I always say that with enough effort, any game can be made into a drinking game and in the right crowd that will go over very well. With the booze challenges this game is begging to be made with drinking game variants.

CONS: “You suck at everything!”

If you like a deeper game this game will not scratch that itch. The game is simple and maybe too simple for some. I can see how people who want a meatier game will leave this game with their stomachs rumbling.

Lazy graphic design. With just a little more effort they could have spruced it up visually and that would have added so much more flare.
When we cleaned up the Archer and Lana decks accidentally got shuffled together because the backs look so similar.

DUST FACTOTR: “Is nobody gonna touch that? Seriously?”

This game went over very well at a table of 6 players. And we had a good mix. We had a few heavy gamers and a couple of non gamers. Everyone was saying how much fun they had and would definitely play it again.
Will I bring it out every game night? No. I am sure the quotes on the cards will get old if over played so the game will be best if brought out every now and then.
It will be great to bring out on heavy drinking nights to have a few giggles with my friends who do not like complex games, but if the mood is for a deeper game involving skill or strategy, this game will not leave the shelf.

CONCLUSION: “You wanna play me hard? Well then you better nut up because I’ve swallowed just about as much as I can take from you!” (phrasing)

As stated above we had a lot of fun with this game. Is it a masterpiece of gaming design? No. Is it a brilliant and innovative piece of gaming wonder? No. Is it going to set the standard for the next wave of games in 2015? No.
Is it fun? Hell yeah!

We had a blast playing it, I will not lie. The randomness created a lot of twists that brought someone in first place to nearly last. The winner was never clear until the final die was rolled. And the players found this rather exciting. The intenseness of watching you get forced to move back several spaces only to marvel your roll on a mission and move forward again happened a lot.
Several of the cards in the game helped curb run away leaders so whenever it looked like someone was too far ahead they got pulled back, and there are cards to help the last player as well.

The concept is a strong one. “Go on missions and attempt to screw your opponents and come out on top.” (Phrasing).
Could it have been executed more efficiently? Sure. There are definitely some opportunities here to enhance this game on many levels. But I want to base my review on what the game is and not what it could be.

I give this game a 5 out of 10 as a light luck based filler game.
It is a simple silly game that is good for a few laughs and has great drinking game potential. So if your gaming crowd is non competitive and does not care about skill or who wins and just wants an excuse to hang with friends and have some drinks and laugh then this game will go over well.

I went in expecting to hate this game and ended up thoroughly enjoying it and I hope you do to.

“Something something DANGER ZONE!!!”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thanks for the review, and it's good to see one that is relatively positive!

I was going to get this game to play with my Archer loving non-gamer friends, but from the sound of it I'm pretty sure they'd have more fun just watching the show or screwing around with an Archer soundboard, since they aren't roleplayer types. Oh well, maybe a cool variant will come out and I can grab it in a bargain bin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - that was my experience in our first (2-player) game. We laughed out loud, we had 30 minutes of fun, the winner was in doubt on the last turn.

I think expectations for this were off on BGG.

Now I hate Munchkin as much as the next BGGer, but it sells and sells. Archer: The Danger Zone! Board Game is far less random and swingy in game length than Munchkin. It's also full of H. Jon Benjamin (and co.) goodness.

Non-gamer Archer fans will adore this game, and many BGG regulars will enjoy it in a thematic filler kind of way (especially as a gateway to play with the aforementioned non-gamers . . .)

Despite the early negative buzz here, Cryptozoic may well have a hit on their hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So to make a very long review short, basically, you can find nothing good to say about the game design or the graphic design.

It seems the best thing going for it is the...

...of the consumer to fill in where the designers failed to deliver.
More or less, paying them to do their job for them, because you bought a box of pretty components that aren't even pretty.
shake

It's great to get fun out of everything that life puts in front of us.
But, where is the compelling reason in this review as to why I should go out of my way to shell out a rather large chunk of change for a game that makes the game design of Munchkin look like a masterpiece, and include the experience of this game into my life?
I'm not seeing it.

nycavri wrote:

Now I hate Munchkin as much as the next BGGer, but it sells and sells. Archer: The Danger Zone! Board Game is far less random and swingy in game length than Munchkin. It's also full of H. Jon Benjamin (and co.) goodness.

Non-gamer Archer fans will adore this game, and many BGG regulars will enjoy it in a thematic filler kind of way (especially as a gateway to play with the aforementioned non-gamers . . .)

Despite the early negative buzz here, Cryptozoic may well have a hit on their hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wilhm
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
TokenCon: Oklahoma's First Board Game Convention!
badge
Living my best life
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inky Witch wrote:
So to make a very long review short, basically, you can find nothing good to say about the game design or the graphic design.

It seems the best thing going for it is the...

...of the consumer to fill in where the designers failed to deliver.
More or less, paying them to do their job for them, because you bought a box of pretty components that aren't even pretty.
shake

It's great to get fun out of everything that life puts in front of us.
But, where is the compelling reason in this review as to why I should go out of my way to shell out a rather large chunk of change for a game that makes the game design of Munchkin look like a masterpiece, and include the experience of this game into my life?
I'm not seeing it.

nycavri wrote:

You put a sponge bob image in my review!!!!

That aside... No I am not saying that I can find nothing good to say about it. The review is full of positives and negatives. I'm saying they could have polished it up more. Add some more pictures, make the backgrounds different colors.

The mechanics are simple. That is neither good or bad.

The game was clearly designed for Archer fans. If you don't watch the show, you wont appreciate it.

I feel the fun can be enhanced if you get into it and role play. So yes the game requires some effort from the players to thoroughly enjoy it. It will not go over well if you approach it like it was a deeper game.

It will be a solid light drinking game that is good for a few laughs for Archer Fans.

So if I were asked to compel someone to get this game I would not try. The game is definitely not a mass market game. It really is best with a specific group. The hard core archer fans who laugh at all the quotes and who can role play it up and have some drinks while playing should get a kick out of it. I know my friends did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian, Benny, Bennis, Beans, Binesse.
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
A little of this, a little of that.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really fun friends. The game was good enough to provide a theme (and most importantly quotes) and a set of rules that made sense. It had a few game mechanics that were uncomplicated, but put together in an interesting way that adds to the fun of a multi-player game.

I enjoyed this review. I would only add that I believe this game is probably best with as many people (who are Archer fans) as possible (8 max).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate how the OP, despite a bit of inflammatory fervor on other threads, managed to deliver a thorough and (I think) relatively unbiased review. Very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
I appreciate how the OP, despite a bit of inflammatory fervor on other threads, managed to deliver a thorough and (I think) relatively unbiased review. Very nice.

The only part I thought was a bit disingenuous was the repeated statement that he went into this game expecting to hate it, which - considering how much he was defending the game without ever having played it in other threads - was clearly not quite true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
bungeeboy wrote:

The only part I thought was a bit disingenuous was the repeated statement that he went into this game expecting to hate it, which - considering how much he was defending the game without ever having played it in other threads - was clearly not quite true.

My stance on this game has always been one of cautious optimism. Hope for the best expect the worst.

It is true I spoke out when I thought some people were judging the game before playing it. And others being overly harsh.

But I listened to their concerns and made a note of them. I even stated in one thread that I may end up agreeing with them, I just had to wait till I got the game in my hands.

So yes I was expecting to loath it. I heard so much negative and there was very little positive said in these forums so I was thinking, oh great I wasted my money. It probably will suck and be a half assed money grab. But I wanted to wait till I got my copy and get a play in and wait to reserve final judgment until then.

But then I got the game and had a positive experience that 5 other people shared so thankfully my fears were unfounded.
And that is what I stated in my review. I really was expecting to dislike the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian, Benny, Bennis, Beans, Binesse.
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
A little of this, a little of that.
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
bungeeboy wrote:

My stance on this game has always been one of cautious optimism. Hope for the best expect the worst.

It is true I spoke out when I thought some people were judging the game before playing it. And others being overly harsh.

But I listened to their concerns and made a note of them. I even stated in one thread that I may end up agreeing with them, I just had to wait till I got the game in my hands.

So yes I was expecting to loath it. I heard so much negative and there was very little positive said in these forums so I was thinking, oh great I wasted my money. It probably will suck and be a half assed money grab. But I wanted to wait till I got my copy and get a play in and wait to reserve final judgment until then.

But then I got the game and had a positive experience that 5 other people shared so thankfully my fears were unfounded.
And that is what I stated in my review. I really was expecting to dislike the game.

I am noticing more people who are actually trying to have conversations instead of arguments on BGG.
I hope I am right and not just delusional.
I understand some people's skepticism that people are actively seeking to have information gathering conversations instead of arguments, but some people really are trying to formulate opinions, not bash other people over the head with theirs.
I think (and hope) this is becoming more common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I went in expecting to hate this game

That's odd, I distinctly remember you posting in the forum last week that you expected the game to be a lot of fun. You mentioned it in multiple threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

That's odd, I distinctly remember you posting in the forum last week that you expected the game to be a lot of fun. You mentioned it in multiple threads.

Wow... I had no clue my words were going to be so closely monitored. Should I feel flattered or concerned?

I have tried my best to clarify my evolving hopes/expectations/concerns on this game in the review itself.
And I have then elaborated more in my posts above.

Am I not allowed to hope it will be great while yet still being concerned it will be bad?

I don't know what else to say. I'm being as transparent as I can here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
DreamStorm wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

Wow... I had no clue my words were going to be so closely monitored. Should I feel flattered or concerned?

They weren't monitored. You just went in with guns blazing on the first person who posted a semi-review, accusing them of bashing the game without playing it. You were pretty memorable, as you posted an extremely strong, negative reaction to his post, only to be told you were flat-out wrong about one of your base assumptions (that he hadn't played the game).

So it stuck in people's minds. And they're finding it a bit disingenuous that you're now trying to claim you went in expecting to hate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:
DreamStorm wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

They weren't monitored. You just went in with guns blazing on the first person who posted a semi-review, accusing them of bashing the game without playing it. You were pretty memorable, as you posted an extremely strong, negative reaction to his post, only to be told you were flat-out wrong about one of your base assumptions (that he hadn't played the game).

So it stuck in people's minds. And they're finding it a bit disingenuous that you're now trying to claim you went in expecting to hate it.

I think that is a fair statement. I did go in guns blazing because I felt the poster was making statements not based on playing. That was corrected immediately and at that point it was when I was turned on to the negatives that the game had.

So from that moment on I was concerned it was going to be bad. I never lost hope. But when all the other negatives got added from other posts I set my expectations way low. The big Archer game night I planned months ago may now be a flop. I was still hoping it would be good. Even at best I was expecting an ok light game.

But at the moment I opened the box to actually play it I was in that moment thinking it would be bad. Not until we started playing did I change my mind.

So if my words in my review seem to conflict with items stated in other threads it is not my intent. I was hoping to articulate my evolving expectations on how I started out hoping it would be great. Then the fears that swept in after hearing the negatives and then the final parting of the clouds when I played and did have an enjoyable experience.

The last thing I want to do is seem disingenuous. Hence why I'm trying to clarify that my opinion evolved. It was not easy juggling hopes of it being one thing with expectations of it being another mixed with the fear of it being something else entirely.

I really hope this clarifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.