Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe obvious but everything I read seems to contradict.

1. Resolving dice / encounters
- whether I'm rolling my allotted dice, do I just need only ONE of the results to be a gun / hit for a success? Or do they cancel each other out and I need one gun / hit left in my balance for a success?
2. Triggering end game
- difference between word successful encounter with a villian and defeating a villian. If I only have to have 4 successful encounters in a 2 player game, then how could I defeat them all to also win? That would be 12 successful encounters (?)
3. Please clarify how and when green location / henchmen tokens hit the board
4. Movement.
- planes only move in similar regions? Ie... Asia to Asia. Africa to Africa..
- planes can't move into an airport city then fly to another airport city? They must start in an airport? This would mean your last turn ended you in a city with an airport.

Please help! We're stuck! (and/or stupid!)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - one success
2 - Sometimes the book has you face them, this does not count towards triggering the end game
3 - When collecting intel off the board, instead of putting it in your pool you may instead put a henchmen on the board (facedown)
4 - You can fly from 1 airport to another, anywhere on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory:

1) You only need a single success overall unless the challenge mentions otherwise; treat the SMERSH icons as blanks, they don't do anything.

2) You can also encounter henchmen through the book encounters, which don't advance the location track but still advance the henchman tracks. If you manage to defeat all four the game ends as well, because once they're defeated you can't encoumter them any more so you couldn't advance the location track any more if you wanted to! Normally, though, the game ends because the location track ends - defeating all four henchmen is very unlikely!

3) (don't remember exactly, offhand - isn't it a choice instead of adding intel?)

4) Planes fly from any airport to any other airport so long as neither is closed. If you start your turn on an airport then you can fly to any other airport. Usually what happens is that you end your turn on an airport and then that airport promptly closes before your next turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,
If you haven't already, take a look at NEW OFFICIAL RULES VERSION 2.0.

To answer your questions in a bit more detail (although the previous posters are correct):

Quote:
1. Resolving dice / encounters
- whether I'm rolling my allotted dice, do I just need only ONE of the results to be a gun / hit for a success? Or do they cancel each other out and I need one gun / hit left in my balance for a success?

The number of successes is simply the number of 'gun' symbols rolled. As stated in the example given on p.7 of the revised rules:

"The player needs only one success to pass the encounter"

There is no mention of balancing pass and fail symbols.

Quote:
2. Triggering end game
- difference between word successful encounter with a villian and defeating a villian. If I only have to have 4 successful encounters in a 2 player game, then how could I defeat them all to also win? That would be 12 successful encounters (?)

Each time you successfully encounter a Henchman, whether via a green Location token or a written book/card encounter, you advance that Henchman one level. As clarified in FAQ #6 (p.13):

"Do you advance the Location Intel Track if you pass a Henchman Encounter due to an Book/Card Encounter? Do you advance the Henchman’s level?
No, you don’t advance the Location Intel Track in this case, but you always advance the Henchman’s level after a successful Henchman test.

If you defeat a Henchman at Level 3 then they are removed from the game. You are therefore correct that it would take (at least) 12 encounters to win the game by defeating all four henchman. It is theoretically possibly with a sequence of lucky written encounters, but neither Jason nor I have ever seen this happen in a game!

Quote:
3. Please clarify how and when green location / henchmen tokens hit the board

See Section #2.2 of the rules (pp.5-6):
"2.2 If players stop on city/ocean with a Yellow Intel Token. The player must choose what to do with the token:
[...]
2.2.3 Exchange the Yellow Intel Token for a Green Location Token. Encountering Green Location tokens is essential to move the Location Track and end the game. The Yellow Intel Token is returned to the supply, and a face-down Green Location token is placed on a random city, determined by drawing a Fate Card.

Quote:

4. Movement.
- planes only move in similar regions? Ie... Asia to Asia. Africa to Africa..
- planes can't move into an airport city then fly to another airport city? They must start in an airport? This would mean your last turn ended you in a city with an airport.

See Section 1.4 (p.4):
"Airplane Travel: If traveling by airplane, players must already be on a city with an open airport and end on another city with an open airport. That is their full movement."

This is also summarised in the Quick Reference Guide (Section I.2; p.15):
"Movement via Plane — You must start your movement on a city with an open Airport. Movement to another city with an open airport constitutes your entire Movement no matter how many Movement Points you began with."
------------------------------------

I hope that helps, but shout if you have any other questions!

Dan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to put my two cents in, yes, get the updated rules and the FAQ Jason Maxwell posted here is really great - takes you through the game step-by-step.

Also, regarding number of successes, Jake mentioned it, but specifically if you see something like this:

Athletics +1 OR Spycraft + 2 [2]

The bracketed number at the end is what indicates you need more than one success (two in this case) when testing your Spycraft (or other ability as applicable). Athletics, in this instance, would require the usual one success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For PASS vs FAIL, I found this idea useful:

You PASS if you have 1 or more Guns in your roll.

If you have a minimum number of successes you need, you need that many Guns to PASS (i.e. Deception+2[2])

ANY other result is a FAIL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.