Subject: do you think the borg cube and borg sphere are broken rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dario gonzalez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
i stopped using the borg cube and sphere mainly because i kept winning all the time with them. at first it was fun killing all my opponents easily with these ships but as time went on it became boring. i still use ships with high attack but they are more balanced and i still get a challenge from my opponents.
the main problem is the 360 firing arc what i used to do is fly pasted my opponents and use my 360 firing arc to shoot them in the back. after which i am safe until they turn around by then they are dead.
they can also be used very well with no captain or upgrades which takes away what made the game so fun i like making a build with all shorts of upgrades. (although i never treed a two borg spheres or two borg cubes. i used to use one fully upgrades borg sphere with a small ship supporting it. my fiend however said the two cube/sphere combo works great.)
i do not know what is going to happen with the borg many people are concerned they are going to ruin the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the STAW forum! Glad to see a new face in the community. Take a look around; there are a lot of good resources here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alton Todd
United States
Ramona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I beat them all the time with my Klingon fleets. For me the Fed and Rom give me more trouble in one on one play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use Borg ships, either. But my reason is because I don't like to lose. Seriously. I don't lose to Borg unless I'm playing Borg. A basic Federation or Dominion fleet is plenty enough to kill Borg all day long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmperorZeruel wrote:
the main problem is the 360 firing arc what i used to do is fly pasted my opponents and use my 360 firing arc to shoot them in the back. after which i am safe until they turn around by then they are dead.

Ah, I see the problem here. It looks like your opponents aren't playing well. I think you'll find that a skilled player makes short work of the Borg, because they don't let you get behind them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Borg are not broken but they are definitely NOTbalanced.

For the same cost as any other starship of similar stats, the Sphere and Cube have 360 degree fire and the most flexible maneuver dial in the game. This makes it impossible to outmaneuver them but they can very easily and effortlessly outmaneuver you.

At my FLGS, the Borg have not been allowed in the second Dominion War Campaign that we are running and they will not be allowed in the Collective Campaign either. The TO, Jim, is trying to keep the game fun and open to newbies.

Maneuver wars can be the most fun, but the Sphere and Cube take that away for the most part. I have heard of other FLGS where the top winning builds are all Cube dreadnoughts and half the builds are Borg. Not a fun environment.

Someday, as the evidence mounts, WK might finally do something about the Borg. I suggest making their "spin" only happen AFTER they move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
Novacat wrote:
EmperorZeruel wrote:

Ah, I see the problem here. It looks like your opponents aren't playing well. I think you'll find that a skilled player makes short work of the Borg, because they don't let you get behind them.

Its generally a good idea not to let anybody get behind you, especially if you have no rear facing weaponary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the faction mind you. The Soong is fine.

It is the sphere and the cube. It isn't the upgrades or the captains. It is those two ships. They have the highest attack, hull, and shield strengths in the game, a 360 degree firing arc (you can't flank them) and their maneuvers allow them to flank any ship whose maneuvers respect the laws of momentum.

Let's be clear. If there is unbalance, it is in those two Borg ships and not the Borg themselves.

I agree that if the Borg only moved forward, and changed their facing after they moved (instead of the spinning maneuver they now possess) it would go a long way to undoing the unprecedented nimbleness they currently enjoy.

In what episode did you ever see the Borg dog fighting and out maneuvering other ships? Yet their spin maneuvers are trump in any dog fighting, since they do not need to vie for position to get a shot - they can just move to avoid the fire of their enemies - which was not what the Borg did.

If you forced the Borg to move forward before changing face, instead of changing face then move in that new direction, you would rid these ships of this unfortunate (unforeseen?) and anti-thematic advantage. These ships would still be quite powerful, but they would no longer be the nimble "dog-fight cancelling" "never saw that kinda stuff on TV" ships they are today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
Danvan wrote:

It is the sphere and the cube. It isn't the upgrades or the captains. It is those two ships. They have the highest attack, hull, and shield strengths in the game, a 360 degree firing arc (you can't flank them) and their maneuvers allow them to flank any ship whose maneuvers respect the laws of momentum.

Let's be clear. If there is unbalance, it is in those two Borg ships and not the Borg themselves.

I agree that if the Borg only moved forward, and changed their facing after they moved (instead of the spinning maneuver they now possess) it would go a long way to undoing the unprecedented nimbleness they currently enjoy.

In what episode did you ever see the Borg dog fighting and out maneuvering other ships? Yet their spin maneuvers are trump in any dog fighting, since they do not need to vie for position to get a shot - they can just move to avoid the fire of their enemies - which was not what the Borg did.

If you forced the Borg to move forward before changing face, instead of changing face then move in that new direction, you would rid these ships of this unfortunate (unforeseen?) and anti-thematic advantage. These ships would still be quite powerful, but they would no longer be the nimble "dog-fight cancelling" "never saw that kinda stuff on TV" ships they are today.

Best explanation of the "Borg Problem" to date. Its just the combo of the good move dials with the 360 fire arc...And I think the spin coming after the move would help like you wrote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carpenter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
I don't use Borg ships, either. But my reason is because I don't like to lose. Seriously. I don't lose to Borg unless I'm playing Borg. A basic Federation or Dominion fleet is plenty enough to kill Borg all day long.

I find comments like these really interesting. There seems to be a tiny minority on these forums which continually downplay the unbalanced (not broken) nature of the Borg.

And yet, in all the tournament recaps that I've read so far, I'm not noticing a lot of "Fed first, Borg Fifth" results. More so "Borg 1, 2, 3" results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd be curious as to if they were mixed or pure though. I think it's the mixed environment where the Borg are the ubber-winz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
aaron2310 wrote:
I'd be curious as to if they were mixed or pure though. I think it's the mixed environment where the Borg are the ubber-winz.

Good point. At our OP the TO has made the Borg a pure faction to play fleet. Everybody else can mix but if you have a borg ship it must be flown pure. And I know this TO and he has argued that the Borg are not that unbalanced. But after OP 1 collective, Where the top 4 out of 14 spots were taken by the Borg he changed his mind. BTW there were only 4 borg players at the event. I know one gentleman who I consider a well versed player (he is here on the forums) had a Klingon ANTI-BORG fleet and he didnt even place. So yeah it would be more interesting to know the details of these ships these non-complaining borg players are up against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
hadrian132 wrote:
Danvan wrote:

Best explanation of the "Borg Problem" to date. Its just the combo of the good move dials with the 360 fire arc...And I think the spin coming after the move would help like you wrote.

Completely agree with both of you. I have even heard it argued that the Spin Maneuver should be the sole move for the round it is dialed up. Seems a bit of a stretch though...

Broken is hard thing to agree with. I would even say that the answer to "Are they broken?" would depend on where you're playing and against how many different people. In our tiny STAW community, a Picard helmed, cloaking, flagshipped, Tac Cube with Energy Dissipators, Armor and Spock can come across as a tad broken when facing a three ship Fed or Romulan build. To me, it's not so much broken as it is just downright unfriendly. I mean, just how much power does someone need to take out the Reliant?

Several of our players have also said that they are just bored with the Borg. They like them, they just don't like playing them. The Sphere and the Cube, primarily. The Soong has gained favor though, with it's restricted (for Borg) firing arc. even I, who has vowed to NEVER buy a Borg anything might pick up a Soong to add to my growing Independent Fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

aaron2310 wrote:

Arena. Last Saturday. Single mixed faction Tac-Cube is wrecking shop for rounds 1 and 2, but not bothering with the Capt battle.

Meanwhile, a Sphere + Bioship build gets beaten by a Klingon Swarm in first round.

Back to the Tac-Cube: Round 3, he faces the Sphere + Bioship and gets creamed. Final score for Tac-Cube: 5 w/ 200fp. sixth place.

The Klingon swarm that beat the sphere + bioship got creamed by the event winner who was flying a two ship Fed pure (except for Khan) build.

So, on paper, the Cube would have lost to a Klingon swarm, and a 2 ship fed pure build (w/ Khan), as well as a Sphere + Bioship.

Oh, and the Cube was in position to take 2nd place had he beat the sphere + bioship... instead, he finished 6th.

The Cube & Sphere are powerful, but are not "unbalanced". Player skill and luck of the dice (which can be somewhat mitigated/managed by a clever build) are still the X factors that ultimately win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
hockeyjedi wrote:

aaron2310 wrote:

Arena. Last Saturday. Single mixed faction Tac-Cube is wrecking shop for rounds 1 and 2, but not bothering with the Capt battle.

Meanwhile, a Sphere + Bioship build gets beaten by a Klingon Swarm in first round.

Back to the Tac-Cube: Round 3, he faces the Sphere + Bioship and gets creamed. Final score for Tac-Cube: 5 w/ 200fp. sixth place.

The Klingon swarm that beat the sphere + bioship got creamed by the event winner who was flying a two ship Fed pure (except for Khan) build.

So, on paper, the Cube would have lost to a Klingon swarm, and a 2 ship fed pure build (w/ Khan), as well as a Sphere + Bioship.

Oh, and the Cube was in position to take 2nd place had he beat the sphere + bioship... instead, he finished 6th.

The Cube & Sphere are powerful, but are not "unbalanced". Player skill and luck of the dice (which can be somewhat mitigated/managed by a clever build) are still the X factors that ultimately win the game.

I noticed this post from you in a previous thread.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Collective OP 1: First Contact Organized Play event will be held on 8/2/2014 at:

Game Kastle: 1350 Coleman Ave, Santa Clara, California 95050

REGISTRATION begins at 10 AM. PLAY begins at 12 noon. Entry fee is $20 and includes a blind drafted exclusive ship. 30 points from this ship and/or its upgrades has to be included in your fleet. Come prepared with a 90 point fleet and then add 30 points from the ship you draft for a total of 120 points. Please arrive early to allow time to modify your fleet with this new ship so that play can start on time. Special thematic build options will apply for additional prize support.

Pre-registration signup at http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=81396

THEMATIC BUILD RULES FOR THIS EVENT.
As always, we try to have additional prize support based on thematic builds. This time, due to the unusual nature of the fleet building in this event, owing to the blind booster pack ships, there will be a few different build options, but none as involved as the era builds from Tholian Web and Arena. As always, additional prizes are based on attendance.
1st and 2nd place will be awarded prize ships as always.
Additional ships (attendance allowing) will be awarded for:

Highest finishing (other than 1st and 2nd overall) Borg-free fleet.
Highest finishing (other than 1st and 2nd overall) fleet of 4 or more ships.
Highest finishing (other than 1st and 2nd overall) FACTION PURE 90 point list (this means the 90 point list you build PRIOR TO RECEIVING the blind-booster ship).

In the event that a fleet qualifies for more than one prize, the additional prize(s) will be awarded to the next closest ranking qualifier.

I see that there giving out prizes for the players with a Borg Free fleet. Why? Just curious, the faction pure I have seen before but not a Borg free fleet. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:

aaron2310 wrote:

What was the exact build of the Tact cube? Some tact cubes are good versus other tact cubes, some are good versus swarms, others are just poorly built. Without build lists, just saying that a tact cube came in sixth doesn't hold much weight. I've heard of a 12 year old with a tact cube that was only a moderate player beating string fleets from good players with a well build solo cube with Scotty and Spock dropping 9 dice with Admiral kirk pushing up the captain skill.

Solo tact cubes are not at all unbeatable, but they take precise flying and the presence of some tricks to take down. I've killed a few, but it took good dice rolls and bringing the right fleet.

When the game 1st came out people thought 2 ships build were junk with the limited card pool available. Now that we have more cards out we can fill out not only 2 ships, but 1 ship with good toys. 1 ship cubes will only get stronger as more and more toys come out to let them play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
jmdt784 wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:

aaron2310 wrote:

What was the exact build of the Tact cube? Some tact cubes are good versus other tact cubes, some are good versus swarms, others are just poorly built. Without build lists, just saying that a tact cube came in second doesn't hold much weight. I've heard of a 12 year old with a tact cube that was only a moderate player beating string fleets from good players with a well build solo cube with Scotty and Spock dropping 9 dice with Admiral kirk pushing up the captain skill.

Solo tact cubes are not at all unbeatable, but they take precise flying and the presence of some tricks to take down. I've killed a few, but it took good dice rolls and bringing the right fleet.

When the game 1st came out people thought 2 ships build were junk with the limited card pool available. Now that we have more cards out we can fill out not only 2 ships, but 1 ship with good toys. 1 ship cubes will only get stronger as more and more toys come out to let them play with.

I agree that more details would diffently help in these threads....I would like full combat reports per round LOL but that is a bit much...But some of the cards used by the Borg or against the Borg would be nice. How many rounds did a game last? was anybody one shotted? die rolling average or way high or low?. The more info added would only help to illustrate an example.

Live long and prosper.

P.S. I will try to follow my own example, and if people ask I will answer as best as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hadrian132 wrote:

The Collective OP 1: First Contact Organized Play event will be held on 8/2/2014 at:

REGISTRATION begins at 10 AM. PLAY begins at 12 noon. Entry fee is $20 and includes a blind drafted exclusive ship. 30 points from this ship and/or its upgrades has to be included in your fleet. Come prepared with a 90 point fleet and then add 30 points from the ship you draft for a total of 120 points. Please arrive early to allow time to modify your fleet with this new ship so that play can start on time. Special thematic build options will apply for additional prize support.

Pre-registration signup at http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/event.php?EVENT_ID=81396

As always, we try to have additional prize support based on thematic builds. This time, due to the unusual nature of the fleet building in this event, owing to the blind booster pack ships, there will be a few different build options, but none as involved as the era builds from Tholian Web and Arena. As always, additional prizes are based on attendance.

Highest finishing (other than 1st and 2nd overall) FACTION PURE 90 point list (this means the 90 point list you build PRIOR TO RECEIVING the blind-booster ship).

In the event that a fleet qualifies for more than one prize, the additional prize(s) will be awarded to the next closest ranking qualifier.

I see that there giving out prizes for the players with a Borg Free fleet. Why? Just curious, the faction pure I have seen before but not a Borg free fleet. Thank you

That is for thematic purposes, and is completely optional. In our last two events (Tholian Web and Arena) I was awarding additional chances for prizes for players who were using various flavors of Pre-TNG fleets, as the episodes the events were based on were from TOS. As this event is the "First Contact" with the Borg and based on the episode "Q-Who?" where Enterprise is faced with the first Borg ship anyone has ever seen, it isn't very thematic to have Borg ships in players' fleets.

You will note that nothing is banned from the event, including Borg. Players are allowed to fly whatever they want, and in whatever mixes they like. I try to do things to make all my players happy. Everyone has enjoyed the idea of thematic builds, while at the same time not bringing out the ban-hammer on other builds.

One might say it's the.... Best of Both Worlds.... (get it?)

Thank you for checking out my event listing and giving it some extra attention! I would love to have you attend, if you happen to be on the other side of the country that weekend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooh, I do something similar with my events. It's fun. This is what I baked up for Wolf 359:

- The fellowship will be awarded to the highest placing player who included the THEME SHIP in their constructed build.

The theme ship is:
USS Enterprise D with Riker as Captain, and MUST at least one theme CREW upgrade listed below.
The theme ship MAY also be upgraded with any of the following: Federation Flagship Resource, Any Federation Elite Talent (if legal IE with the Flagship), any Federation photon or secondary torpedo upgrade, Miles O'Brien(either), Geordi La Forge, Data, Worf(either), Barclay, and Shelby. No other upgrades aside from these may be added to the theme ship. No admiral may be added to the ship. Including the theme ship is an optional requirement if you wish to be in competition for the fellowship prize. In the event that a fleet with the theme ship wins the overall event, the next highest placing fleet that includes the theme ship will be awarded the fellowship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:

What was the exact build of the Tact cube? Some tact cubes are good versus other tact cubes, some are good versus swarms, others are just poorly built. Without build lists, just saying that a tact cube came in sixth doesn't hold much weight. I've heard of a 12 year old with a tact cube that was only a moderate player beating string fleets from good players with a well build solo cube with Scotty and Spock dropping 9 dice with Admiral kirk pushing up the captain skill.

I tend to not list precise builds of my players out of courtesy in case they plan to attend other events using those builds. Also, I don't seem to have his build sheet handy right now anyway, however, I remember it was JLP, Spock, Borg Ablatives x 2 for part of it. I wish I could remember the rest. I want to say Full Assault was part of it too...

He tore up a fed pure reliant/excelsior/refit Enterprise in round 1, and a generic constitution, Gr'oth, Reliant, and D7 in round 2 (only had Captains). The Sphere + Bioship he went down to was 2 Captains, an Admiral and Spock crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
hockeyjedi wrote:
hadrian132 wrote:

That is for thematic purposes, and is completely optional. In our last two events (Tholian Web and Arena) I was awarding additional chances for prizes for players who were using various flavors of Pre-TNG fleets, as the episodes the events were based on were from TOS. As this event is the "First Contact" with the Borg and based on the episode "Q-Who?" where Enterprise is faced with the first Borg ship anyone has ever seen, it isn't very thematic to have Borg ships in players' fleets.

You will note that nothing is banned from the event, including Borg. Players are allowed to fly whatever they want, and in whatever mixes they like. I try to do things to make all my players happy. Everyone has enjoyed the idea of thematic builds, while at the same time not bringing out the ban-hammer on other builds.

One might say it's the.... Best of Both Worlds.... (get it?)

Thank you for checking out my event listing and giving it some extra attention! I would love to have you attend, if you happen to be on the other side of the country that weekend...

I get it, love the idea of giving out extra prizes for various reasons, wether theme based or just random drawings, but with all the ban borg talk going around just found it interesting you were rewarding the non-borg players only with extras, while you already kinda had it covered by a faction pure prize, which is how I like to play myself but that is just my personal preference. One player in my group said that thematically the Borg should be banned from this event only because this was the first time we were meeting them so nobody should have them or there upgrades, I find that a bit extreme but to each his own I quess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hadrian132 wrote:

I get it, love the idea of giving out extra prizes for various reasons, wether theme based or just random drawings, but with all the ban borg talk going around just found it interesting you were rewarding the non-borg players only with extras, while you already kinda had it covered by a faction pure prize, which is how I like to play myself but that is just my personal preference. One player in my group said that thematically the Borg should be banned from this event only because this was the first time we were meeting them so nobody should have them or there upgrades, I find that a bit extreme but to each his own I quess.

The Faction Pure prize can be awarded to a Pure Borg fleet...
The Borg-free prize can be awarded to a Pure or Mixed fleet...

Yes, there is the "encouragement" of players to run things other than Borg, but I am not forbidding it. And I am not rewarding Borg-Free fleets due to perceived game imbalances, but rather, due to pure thematic flavor. If this was a scenario based on Scorpion, I would reward 8472-free fleets and probably give extra prize consideration to Fed-Borg mixed fleets, because that would be thematic.

One of the key strengths of this game and (IMHO) major advantage over X-Wing are the themes and varieties of the scenarios. I like to play to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If we're talking cannon of the show as far as Borg fighting other races usually they overpowered the other race enough to just stand still and target the enemy ships.

That being said in the Voyager 2 part "Scorpion" episode when they engage Species 8472 they are definetly maneuvering around to attempt to avoid getting hit.

Their movement is a bit of a conundrum since they are the Rook of the game compared to other ships being variants of the Knight. Only problem is that their 360 degree of fire negates bad placement.

I love Borg as a faction, as a big TNG fan I really like that they're powerful; that being said however, the point costs just don't quite work properly when firing arcs don't factor in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It was suggested at our event last night that we make the Borg faction pure, while allowing other venues to mix and batch as they please. I haven't decided if we'll try it out yet or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
Obsidian3d wrote:
It was suggested at our event last night that we make the Borg faction pure, while allowing other venues to mix and batch as they please. I haven't decided if we'll try it out yet or not.

My only issue with that is thematic... of all the factions that could argue they should get the Federation Captain, Romulan Tactical Officer, and Klingon Boarding party on one ship, the BORG seem to have the best (thematic) case.

Of course, with assimilation tubes, they can almost get that way over the course of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.