Subject: what is a good build for the arena rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dario gonzalez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
i am going to play the arena with my friends next week. (are store is behind and trying to catch up) i am wondering should a take several 9 skill captains just to wing the arena fight or make a normal build and if they did then they die and i will finish the battle the old fashion way.
i know if i win the battle i get to place my opponents ships, so i can place them in a minefield, but again if it worth it taking three ships and doing 9 9 8 or maybe two 9 captain skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
All tokens are removed from play when you start the planet battle. So you can't put them on a a minefield if you win that fight (any placed before are gone).

For me, I saw a lot of 998 captain fleets. Most of those were something like JAneway/Kirk/Picard on Reliant/Ent-D/Voyager. If you want to guarantee a win on the planet, you need to do better than 998. 998 Is a sweet spot in the you can make 3 decent ships for after the battle.

Command tokens help a lot for the planet.

You can win by using all generic captains and just bringing a few loaded ships, but it is an uphill climb after losing the planet. If you do this method, it is difficult but super helpful to destroy a ship or two before the planet. Another trick is to use sideboard to bring a captain in after the planet fight. Then you at least still have one good captain after losing the planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget: you get 15 extra fleet points for each captain that survives the captains' battle. At our event last saturday, we had a guy who could have taken 2nd place drop to 6th because he had won 2 of 3 rounds, but had been flying a single tac cube build with no interest in winning the Capt. battle. If you have no designs on winning the Capt battle, you'd better make sure you win every single round... and that no one else wins every single round AND some Capt's battles.

1st place was a 2 ship Fed pure build except for Khan (and this event allows all mixing) with Enterpise refit and Excelsior. Capts Khan and Spock + Admiral Kirk. So, he had 3 Capts every battle. He won every capt battle and every round. Had a final total of 6 bp and 405 fp. He beat a swarm of generic Klingons (pretty handily) in round 3, so I think that the swarm of inexperience is probably not the way to go.

The build I want to try out (if i get a chance to play instead of just TO-ing) is:

Interceptor 5 + Kira Nerys 5 (for the free target lock handout)
RSV + GElnon and Nullifier Core
Miranda class + JLP w/ Admiral Kirk
Raptor class + Martok 8

My thinking is: first off, 5 capts for the capt battle. Assuming they all survive each capt battle, that's 225 fp for tie breaking (not even including the fp you get for killing your opponent, which if i swept all 3 rounds would equal 525 fp).
Gelnon plinks out 2 undefended attack dice each round and never uncloaks so he rolls 7 evade each round with a re-roll of 1 def die from Nullifier if needed, so this would be the gnat that they just can't swat. . Kira hands out TLs to any and all nearby and doesn't lose action from bumping planet, so she can skirt close to planet to hand out raw materials prior to the capt battle. Martok hands out action to either Gelnon or Kira. JLP gets his usual double action (hopefully getting a TL from Kira as well). Kirk allows the fleet to do a disable upgrade on opponent each round.

It could be crap as there are no heavy hitters, attack dice-wise, but, I do feel like it is annoying enough to be a possible contender. I think it would definitely be fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried 3 different theories:

Alpha strike: Send something with In'Cha/Tribbles/Picard/Dukat/Transphasics to kill ships first, second, and third turn. Could care less about captain's battle, then mop up the rest after. Did fairly well, took lots by surprise. Command tokens or flagship work best here.

Swarm with 4 high skill captains to take planet: Klingon fleet worked best, lots of high skill captains 9/7/6/5 etc on cheap ships. Avoid ships before the captain's battle, plant the remaining ships in opposite corners after you win the captain's battle. If you plan on winning the captains battle you should take along the command tokens (attack reroll, set die, etc) or elite attack die. You'll win with a jillion extra points.

Eff the captain's battle: Build beefy awesome ships not reliant on a captian, use the resource sideboard to put more stuff down before/after the captain's battle (I put Picard on the resource sideboard). You won't get any bonus points so you will HAVE to win all 3 rounds and hope there's not more than 8 people for this strategy to work.

They were all fun to fly, just make sure you use the appropriate resource for your strategy and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I won mine with this build. It's not for everyone. And by "everyone" I mean people who actually like to blow up other ships. My tactics were unique and two parts:

1. Win the Captain's Battle to get the points.
2. Run, hide, cower.

My opponents were a solo Tac Cube, then a mixed Dominion/Independent fleet and then another Tac Cube. In the second round, I was able to mix it up with my opponent and took out one of his ships. Was working on the other two when time was called.

Quote:
Resource: Command Tokens (5)

U.S.S Enterprise (22)
Kathryn Janeway (5)
Ship SP: 27

U.S.S. Reliant (20)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Ship SP: 26

R.I.S. Apnex (14)
Romulan Commander (5)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 22

Romulan Science Vessel (12)
Toreth (4)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 19

Total Build SP: 99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:

1st place was a 2 ship Fed pure build except for Khan (and this event allows all mixing) with Enterpise refit and Excelsior. Capts Khan and Spock + Admiral Kirk. So, he had 3 Capts every battle. He won every capt battle and every round. Had a final total of 6 bp and 405 fp. He beat a swarm of generic Klingons (pretty handily) in round 3, so I think that the swarm of inexperience is probably not the way to go.

Here's the complete build. That flagship-equipped refit Enterprise is a beast.

The toughest battle was against a swarm of five Romulans, three science vessels and two scouts carrying five captains at 8,8,7,7,7 and four cloaked mines. I managed to kill three ships and two seven captains before the captain's battle by charging through cloaked mines like they were cotton candy and won the captains battle by pure luck with one hit point left on Captain Spock and everyone else dead. It was so much fun.

The Klingon player guessed wrong and I ended up chasing his fleet around the planet, using my better arcs to blow up a few D7s before the captain's battle started.

The first battle was against a dual bioship build. It might have done better but chose to engage both my ships with one of the bioships and I rolled outrageously well on the first encounter.

U.S.S. Enterprise [Refit] (24)
Flagship: Federation [DomWarPP4] (10)
Adm James T. Kirk [Refit] (5)
Khan Singh [Reliant] (6)
Engage [Starter] (3)
Nyota Uhura [Enterprise] (3)
Pavel Chekov [Refit] (3)
Total (54)

U.S.S. Excelsior [Excelsior] (26)
Mr. Spock [Refit] (4)
Disobey Orders [Sutherland] (2)
Dmitri Valtane [Excelsior] (3)
Hikaru Sulu [Enterprise] (3)
Leonard McCoy [Enterprise] (3)
Photon Torpedoes [Defiant] (5)
Total (46)

Fleet total: 100

Generated by Space Dock for Mac
http://spacedockapp.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Holland
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtsuk wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:

Here's the complete build. That flagship-equipped refit Enterprise is a beast.

The toughest battle was against a swarm of five Romulans, three science vessels and two scouts carrying five captains at 8,8,7,7,7 and four cloaked mines. I managed to kill three ships and two seven captains before the captain's battle by charging through cloaked mines like they were cotton candy and won the captains battle by pure luck with one hit point left on Captain Spock and everyone else dead. It was so much fun.

The Klingon player guessed wrong and I ended up chasing his fleet around the planet, using my better arcs to blow up a few D7s before the captain's battle started.

The first battle was against a dual bioship build. It might have done better but chose to engage both my ships with one of the bioships and I rolled outrageously well on the first encounter.

Flagship: Federation [DomWarPP4] (10)
Khan Singh [Reliant] (6)
Engage [Starter] (3)
Nyota Uhura [Enterprise] (3)
Pavel Chekov [Refit] (3)
Total (54)

Mr. Spock [Refit] (4)
Disobey Orders [Sutherland] (2)
Dmitri Valtane [Excelsior] (3)
Hikaru Sulu [Enterprise] (3)
Leonard McCoy [Enterprise] (3)
Total (46)

Fleet total: 100

Generated by Space Dock for Mac
http://spacedockapp.org

Thanks Rob for this post. I played Arena today at my local store and I won with a very similar build:

Jean-Luc Picard [Starter Set] (6)
Engage [Starter] (3)
Koss [Ti'Mur Prize] (3)
Nyota Uhura [Refit] (3)
Pavel Chekov [Refit] (3)
The Doctor [Voyager] (3)
Photon Torpedoes [Excelsior] (3)
Total (53)

Mr. Spock [Refit] (4)
Attack Pattern Omega [Defiant] (3)
Dimitri Valtane [Excelsior] (3)
Jadzia Dax [Defiant] (4)
Leonard McCoy [Refit] (2)
Total (47)

Fleet Total (100)

I don't have Reliant or Flagship, otherwise I might have used them. With Adm Kirk, Picard's skill was 11 so he was shooting first. Off the bat I was using Jadzia to get Excelsior right next to the planet. Then using its ability to scan, plus Mr. Spock to target lock, then Valtane to re-roll when needed. I ended up taking out my opponents shields in the first round, then in the second round I rolled a crit and used Attack Pattern Omega to put Warp Core breach on their ship.

Picard went down to the planet first, followed by Kirk. Excelsior was able to generate resources and Enterprise too, in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I was getting 5-6 resources on Picard and 3-4 on Kirk with 0 on Spock.

In the first game I went up against a Fed fleet that was running Voyager and Defiant with Sisko and Riker. Excelsior destroyed Defiant before the Captain's battle and with my 3-2 captain's advantage I killed both Sisko and Riker and didn't lose anyone. Time ran out but I won on a significant spread of fleet points.

In the second game I went up against a Fed fleet with TOS Enterprise, Excelsior, Reliant and Yeager. Captains were Pike, Young Kirk and the dude from Reliant. Attack Pattern Omega took out TOS Enterprise before the Captain's battle and then (it was close) but I won. I lost Spock but killed all of his captains. Again time ran out and I won on fleet points.

The last game I went up against a Dominion fleet with two Jem'Hadar ships and one Cardissian ship. Captains were Gul Dukat, Weyoun and one other dude that looked a lot like Weyoun. Same thing as the other games, Excelsior smoked one of the Jem'Hadar ships before the Captain's battle and then I killed his three captain's without losing any of mine. Again, time out and I win on fleet points.

Having Picard with 9, Kirk with 8 and Spock with 6 I was able to take a lot of damage and spread it around. With Excelsior getting to the planet so quickly I always had more resources than my opponent.

Thanks!

(love Spacedock BTW, awesome app)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through 2 rounds victorious with:

RIS Vo
Gelnon
Amat'Igan

Interceptor 5
Kira Nerys (skill 5)

USS Reliant
JLP
Admiral Kirk

D7 Class
Martok (skill 8)

I won both rounds 1 and 2 purely based on Captains' battles. First round I lost Martok before the Capt. battle happened, no other ship caualties. 2nd round I squeaked a win by Reliant being my last ship and holding on through a final attack that left it with 1 hull. My luck ran out when in the 3rd round when I ran into an almost identical build as mine who had MUCH better luck getting resources onto the planet than I did and I went down in flames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, you can't replace a captain on the planet with one from the reinforcement sideboard. I didn't know that when my opponent won the day with 2 fed ships with Admiral Kirk AND the sideboard. None of us realized you couldn't do that, but the ruling seems to say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.