Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francois-Xavier
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

In case you're not aware of it, Morrisons currently offers a free Hasbro card game for shops over £40. I picked up Battleship from our charity table at work, but there's other games like Monopoly deal, guess who,nerd,...

http://your.morrisons.com/Offers/Summer-Bonus/Terms-and-Cond...

Fx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rog B
United Kingdom
Manchester
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Frère card games ta Morrisons(UK)
since im outnumbered, our household will be going for the girlie ones (Disneys Frozen, my little pony, doc mcstuffin etc)

i think it might be 'happy families' sets, but i might be able to repurpose them. somehow.

according to the terms on the Morrisons website, you can also buy the packs for £3 each (instead of spending £40 on shopping to get them free). not sure if thats a bargain or not though..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Brass
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly Deal is a decent game if anyone is wondering what to pick up. I've played it tons. If you have the option between the original and "millionaire" version - the original is best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara
United Kingdom
York
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogB wrote:
according to the terms on the Morrisons website, you can also buy the packs for £3 each (instead of spending £40 on shopping to get them free). not sure if thats a bargain or not though..
is there a link please I can't find it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogB wrote:
since im outnumbered, our household will be going for the girlie ones (Disneys Frozen, my little pony, doc mcstuffin etc)

i think it might be 'happy families' sets, but i might be able to repurpose them. somehow.

Most of the girly sets are Happy Families. The others are their own games by the looks. For what it's worth, the My Little Pony one looks like it isn't Happy Families if you're looking for something a bit different. I was going to get Monopoly, Guess Who or Battleships but my girlfriend picked out Frozen before I had the chance to decide. It's a Happy Families one. It's ok I guess, but I feel like we would have done much better going with one of my choices...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rog B
United Kingdom
Manchester
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmb
yorkrambler wrote:
RogB wrote:
is there a link please I can't find it

http://your.morrisons.com/Offers/Summer-Bonus/

terms here:
http://your.morrisons.com/Offers/Summer-Bonus/Terms-and-Cond...

wagglybean wrote:

Most of the girly sets are Happy Families. The others are their own games by the looks. For what it's worth, the My Little Pony one looks like it isn't Happy Families if you're looking for something a bit different. I was going to get Monopoly, Guess Who or Battleships but my girlfriend picked out Frozen before I had the chance to decide. It's a Happy Families one. It's ok I guess, but I feel like we would have done much better going with one of my choices...

cheers Mr Bean.
might pick up Monopoly Deal and attleships. MD goes for 8 quid an amazon so I guess 3 quid isnt bad really.
perhaps MLP for the kids too, if i can reuse the cards somehow

PS fab avatar by the way (I still love a bit of Chaos from time to time, it hasnt aged at all! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rog B
United Kingdom
Manchester
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just had a look:

Monopoly Deal
Battleship
Nerf
Guess who - cards based on original game
My little pony - Domino pairs, small square cards.
Doc McStuffin - Domino pairs, small square cards.
Disney Frozen - Happy Families
Toy story - Happy Families
Disney Planes - Happy Families
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - Happy Families

I think thats the lot.
Note, all cards are morrisons branded on the backs and in a compact card sized tuckbox, not the original versions (if they existed)
(edit) sorry that's not quite correct, theres a single branded card at the back of the sealed pack that fooled me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogB wrote:

PS fab avatar by the way (I still love a bit of Chaos from time to time, it hasnt aged at all! )

Yes! My favourite Speccy game and one that has stood the test of time and is still completely playable today. Glad to see others are still fans!

As for the cards, didn't realise the other girly ones were just Dominoes. Looks like my initial thoughts about Monopoly, Guess Who and Battleships being the best choices were probably sensible then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wagglybean wrote:
RogB wrote:

Yes! My favourite Speccy game and one that has stood the test of time and is still completely playable today. Glad to see others are still fans!

As for the cards, didn't realise the other girly ones were just Dominoes. Looks like my initial thoughts about Monopoly, Guess Who and Battleships being the best choices were probably sensible then.

Got to love a shadow wood. Or any dragon. And illusions. And spreading spells like fire and blob.
Awesome.

Made me go and look for an iOS version. But I couldn't find anything obvious.

Edit: being remade as a kick starter project for iOS.
But there is an Android version out there, free: Chaos battle of the wizards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jordan
United Kingdom
Westbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about this remake? I thought it was only PC/Mac/Linux.

http://www.chaos-reborn.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dawson
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, move along
badge
Need to put something witty here
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandman1973 wrote:
Are you talking about this remake? I thought it was only PC/Mac/Linux.

http://www.chaos-reborn.com

Well that is certainly the new version. I have backed it, and played it, in an early form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Chaos Reborn is the 'official' remake/sequel, being worked on by Julian Gollop, but I'm not sure how I feel about it if I'm honest.

What I find much more exciting is the concept of the fan made remake Archaos. It has been in development a long time, but I am hopeful it will still see a release one day. Have a look at the development blog here: http://www.rotates.org/category/projects/archaos-projects/

(Apologies for taking this thread off topic by the way!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wagglybean wrote:
I know that Chaos Reborn is the 'official' remake/sequel, being worked on by Julian Gollop, but I'm not sure how I feel about it if I'm honest.

What I find much more exciting is the concept of the fan made remake Archaos. It has been in development a long time, but I am hopeful it will still see a release one day. Have a look at the development blog here: http://www.rotates.org/category/projects/archaos-projects/

(Apologies for taking this thread off topic by the way!)

Talking of Chaos, Lords of Chaos now there was a diamond of a game (spec, C64, Amiga).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bears Eat Beets wrote:
I got Monopoly Deal today. It is not the same as the retail version, and is missing some of the Action Cards. Not too bad given I was spending £40 anyway, but the difference is worth bearing in mind.

Which cards are missing, and what impact do they have on the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burgess
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same for Battleship - cut down version of Battleship: Hidden Threat.
Smaller layout and missing about 30 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rog B
United Kingdom
Manchester
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmb
ah thats disappointing

Monopoly deal box image on BGG says 114 cards, theres 52 in the free one.

hopefully its just a reduction in players (i dont think it supports 5) and it plays pretty much the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bears Eat Beets wrote:
I got Monopoly Deal today. It is not the same as the retail version, and is missing some of the Action Cards. Not too bad given I was spending £40 anyway, but the difference is worth bearing in mind.

Is it the same as this one?

http://www.dx.com/p/vintage-board-game-monopoly-deal-card-ga...

My friend was after a copy, but after finding this, I figured that would be less expensive than Morrison's if you include bus fare to get to the shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexCannon wrote:
Bears Eat Beets wrote:

My friend was after a copy, but after finding this, I figured that would be less expensive than Morrison's if you include bus fare to get to the shop.

Nice find! I don't think I'll partake as I'm not sure it's the British version - so the properties will be different. However, it does look as though it includes the full deck, unlike the Morrison's version.

FWIW, the full (British) game is only £7.99 on Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rog B
United Kingdom
Manchester
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmb
here is a comparison of the 110 card 'Full' and the free promotional one (which I will refer to as 'Lite')

Full is listed first, Lite are (in brackets) afterwards.

110 cards (52)

2-5 players (2-3 players)

ACTIONS
2 deal breaker (*0*)
3 Just say no (2)
3 sly deal (1)
4 Forced deal (1)
3 Debt Collector (1)
1 Its my birthday (1)
10 Pass go (2)
3 house (1)
3 hotel (*0*)
2 Double rent (*0*)

(NEW in Lite)
3 Forced Purchase - Force a player to sell a property for twice the Value
(cannot be part of a full set) Play into centre to use.

PROPERTY
2 Dark blue (2) ^
3 orange (3) ^
3 purple (3) ^
3 red (3) ^
2 utility (2) ^
3 yellow (3) ^

(Suits completely removed:
2 brown (*0)
3 green (*0)
3 light blue(*0)
4 black rail (*0)
)

Property wildcards:
2 Orange/Purple (1)
2 yellow/red (1)

(lite missing all these wildcards:
1 blue/green
2 'all 10' wildcard
1 lt blue/brown
1 green/black
1 lt blue/black
1 utility/black
)

RENT Action cards
FULL VERSION:
3 wildcards (choice of all 10)
2 green/blue
2 brown/ltblue
2 purple/orange
2 black/util
2 red/yellow

LITE:
1 blue
1 yellow
1 red
1 orange
1 purple
2 - Wildcard (all 5 above + utility)

MONEY
1 10m (1) ^
2 5m (2) ^
3 4m (2)
3 3m (2)
5 2m (4)
6 1m (4)

summary:

general reducion of cards to accommodate less players.
6 property 'suits' instead of 10
various light changes to cater for this.
some of the nastier actions changed.

seems like its all pretty much thee in terms of gameplay - certainly not bad as a freebie (or £3) but probably worth paying the 8 quid if you like it for the full one.
You'll definately have to if you want more than 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davymast wrote:
AlexCannon wrote:
Bears Eat Beets wrote:

Nice find! I don't think I'll partake as I'm not sure it's the British version - so the properties will be different. However, it does look as though it includes the full deck, unlike the Morrison's version.

FWIW, the full (British) game is only £7.99 on Amazon.

Whoops! Didn't see that whole 'Chinese and English' bit! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaw
United Kingdom
Edington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've picked up Toy Story Happy Families and Guess Who. I've heard playing Guess Who (the classic game at least) with two characters is worth a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Marsh
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
and in the middle
badge
Grrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone actually know what the NERF game is?
We had it given to us and its a simple colour matching game where you score once the target has all the required colours. Seems like it could be a retheme of something else but I don't know what.

Help!

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muddy Boots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AlexCannon wrote:

Thanks for the link, Alex. A few good, cheap games on their Table Games page: http://www.dx.com/c/hobbies-toys-899/toys-for-all-ages-803/t..., and they accept PayPal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up with three games so far.

Planes and Frozen Happy Familes which I am adding to Happy Families.

And a card game called "Nerf" by Hasbro. Dose anybody knows its real name because it must be on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rog B
United Kingdom
Manchester
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmb
After a few playtests with the little ones and the significant other on holiday, heres my impressions.

My Little Pony - domino style game
you pick 2 gems from 6 (3 players) and then match halves of gems to score. bonus points if its got a special character on it. played against SO and 5 year old.
verdict - surprisingly decent

Doc McStuffins. - domino style
way too easy. I tried 4 times to make it more difficult but its almost impossible not to find a match so the first player wins.
It does have a 'pairs' game where you lay them all facedown in a grid and pick 2 (memory game). Simple but more fun than the domino game with 5 year olds..

Any of the 'happy families' sets:
poor. no use of actual families, just A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2, B3, B4 etc.

guess who:
pretty much the standard game, in card form. works exactly the same really.

Monopoly deal.
Very quick (15 mins), quite a lot of strategy, and quite ruthless.
Played 2 player with SO, it became her favourite game on an evening and even end up getting requested many times.
after a few games we've both got some fairly devious underhand tactics...

As its a 'cut down' version of the full Monopoly Deal I will definately get the full version, and possible keep this one for pure 2p games.
verdict - GREAT! - best of the bunch imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.