Hide
5 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Suggestions for Zombie play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silas H
msg tools
Hello everyone, I'm still rather new to LNOE but I'm already seeing a trend in my games. So far zombies have lost 4 out of 4 games.
Since I've read post stating that zombies are too good, and others that they are too weak, I'm assuming that their failure in my games has more to do with the way they are played, or luck/ bad luck when rolling dice, than "imbalanced game".

Therefore I'd like suggestions as to how to handle a couple of situations that I think ruined my strategy... If there is any. As I said earlier, I might just have been unlucky. Might also have been me that misunderstood the rules... if that is so, then pleasy et me know.

Here's a few examples of thing that messed with my zombies.

I currently only own the basic game.

Example 1.
In "Die zombies, die" Game was going pretty well for the zombies. The zombies had Johnny cornered in the police station, and were 2 turns away from swarming him with 5 zombies. But then disaster as Johnny found a chainsaw. He immediately mulched the 5 zombies, with a lot of help from his "Tough" and "Blitz". Hard to break his chainsaw when he suddenly has 3 dice to use, and wins on ties. The way we played, he could use "Blitz" multiple times per round, I'm very interested in knowing if that is correct, as it would have slowed him down a bit at least, if he at least would have had to stop nex to zombies before dismembering them.
The humans also had Father Joseph so if the zombies tried to use cards against Johnny they were promptly cancelled.

Example 2.
Becky and Father Joseph teaming up. Father Joseph cancels most of the cards, and Becky then heals him. (Admitted, they were rolling good, because they never failed a single S.O.S. roll with him)
Any good way to deal with this team? (Zombies even had TCBTLNOE card, but even though Becky fluttered her eyelashes at Joseph repeatedle, he resisted the temptation)
As I see it, Bickering could have helped of course, but there's only 1 card of that type.

Example 3.
Burn 'em out.
Humans have to destroy 3 zombie spawning pits. What happens if zombies draw "New spawning pit" cards (Zombies drew 2). Do the new pits also count towards the 3 pits they have to destroy? We played that way, and it gave the humans a big advantadge, as they could now choose between corners with pits very close to each other.
(Additionally the zombies rolled "My God, they've taken the..." and got a building in the opposite side of the map, using 4 zombies from 1 zombieplayers pool, and then making spawning additional Z's in the zombie pits pretty much impossible.

Any suggestions for these examples, apart from having better cards and rolling better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the Zombie player is having a tough time. First of all, the chain saw sucks for the zombie player, solution: Run! At least til you get some good cards. In general, die zombie die, is the intro scenario, and I don't find it useful or fun. The only good zombie strategy in that scenario is to run and not die, so the turns run out. Sounds like the Heroes just had a good strategy that game. Some zombie cards could've helped you, make sure you are discarding useless cards at the beginning of your turn and using cards quickly to get to the more powerful cards.

In example 2, I think Father gets a wound when he cancels a card, so even with a healer that could make him susceptible to attacks or the card Biten.

Try playing Defend the Manor, Heroes have a hard time with that one. Also, picking Heroes randomly can create some fun and more balanced teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always pick heroes randomly because there are some combo schenanagins that can happen if certain heroes are selected together. Plus it makes the game more varied and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemmingsen82 wrote:

Example 1.
In "Die zombies, die" Game was going pretty well for the zombies. The zombies had Johnny cornered in the police station, and were 2 turns away from swarming him with 5 zombies. But then disaster as Johnny found a chainsaw...

The humans also had Father Joseph so if the zombies tried to use cards against Johnny they were promptly cancelled...

It may seem counter-intuitive, but for this particular scenario it's best if zombies avoid well-armed heroes, although it sounds like he found his chainsaw in the nick of time. At least it was a thematic moment in the game, as befits B Horror movies.

Also, to clarify, Father Joseph takes a wound and then rolls to see if he cancels the card; it isn't an automatic success for him. He might take the wound and then fail his dice roll, which is always a pleasing moment for the Zombie Lord.

Hemmingsen82 wrote:

Example 2.
Becky and Father Joseph teaming up. Any good way to deal with this team? (Zombies even had TCBTLNOE card, but even though Becky fluttered her eyelashes at Joseph repeatedle, he resisted the temptation)
As I see it, Bickering could have helped of course, but there's only 1 card of that type.

IIRC Father Joseph can't be the target of the TCBTLNOE card, being a priest of high moral standing.

The best way to deal with groups of heroes is build up your numbers, and position them to cut off escapes. Herd them into a corner and force them to move. Often one hero will roll fewer movement than the other, forceing them to either split up or move at the slowest pace.
Corner and swarm them.

The other, in my mind, crucial tactic on the zombie part is to lay down a barrage of zombie cards on the heros every turn. Play them as soon as you get them. Don't hoard the cool cards and hope for a chance to use it seven turns later. If you can't see a chance to use a card in the next turn or two then discard it and draw another one.

Once the heroes start suffering card effects every turn it will begin to weaken them and the on board hoard will have an easier time sorting them out.

This will also reduce the effect of Father Joseph. If you're throwing multiple cards at the heros each turn he cannot hope to stop them all, because Becky only heals one wound at a time, and that only at the end of her hero turn.

Hemmingsen82 wrote:

Example 3.
Burn 'em out.
What happens if zombies draw "New spawning pit" cards (Zombies drew 2). Do the new pits also count towards the 3 pits they have to destroy?

They do count as valid targets, yes. Kinda sucks for the zombie, but does give flexibility on where to respawn, so sort of an upside. See advice above which generally might increase your chances as the zombie lord in this and other scenarios.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silas H
msg tools
Thanks for the advice. I will take it into consideration when playing my next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.