GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,220 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Hurtgen: Hell's Forest» Forums » General

Subject: Supply... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I have been following Gunny's session reports on Bloody Bucket and freely admit I'm intrigued by this one.

How is supply implemented in the game? I play OCS so a little complexity in that respect is not a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Quist
Sweden
Sävedalen
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My view is that there're a lot of similarities between GOSS and OCS.

Combat units traces supply to their formation (mostly a division) HQ, the formation HQ in turn traces to a corps HQ that in turn traces to an army HQ. And that traces to a Primary Supply Source. There're exceptions to this of course.

The supply path can either be traced using leg unit MPs or mech unit MPs depending on the unit that is tracing. The path can be extended a certain amount but that will affect the unit(s) negatively. If no path can be traced you could using something called On Hand supply, eating of the a supply dump so to speak.

Trucks is where the two systems differ the most and I like GOSS's implementation more than OCS. The trucks are abstracted and an army gets an allotment of Truck Points each day that can be given certain tasks. They can either motorize leg units, transport fuel or ammo. Every AM game turn you roll two dies and cross index the die rolls with the amount of trucks assigned to ammo and fuel transport. That value will either affect the basic Ammo Delivery Value/Ammo Depletion Value(ADV) unit the next AM GT. The ADV will affect how easy (and how many) artillery units will run out of ammo each time they perform a barrage. After a barrage you roll a die and compare it to the ADV and the amount that the modified DR exceeds the ADV is how many artillery units that runs out of ammo. This can be remedied in two ways, either by another DR in another phase or by spending ammo points (taking from the ammo stock pile).

This is just a very simplified descriptions/facets and there are of course a lot of variations and exceptions to all of this (and hopefully I'm not to wrong). I really like the logistics system (more than pushing truck counters around a map ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the detailed responses. If I have this right there is basically a supply chain that is traced between the different levels of command right down to individual units, while frequency is based the move mode of the HQ counters.

With OCS I find supply determination is pretty quick (obviously with some dependency on the size of the scenario). How long does it take with GOSS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.