Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bram
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of getting some expansions and honestly not sure what I should be looking for.
I can't even find a list that shows the order of the releases.
Any advice on which expansions or items to purchase in what order would greatly help me.
As always, thanks for the input and your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some would argue your next purchase should be the conversion to 2nd edition.

I'd really go chronologically. Each of the expansions acknowledges the previous, so while Road to Legend has a wealth of material, only some can be used with just Base + Road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
It depends on whether you're on for a long game or not.

RtL and SoB, the campaign games, are designed for players with 100+ hours of free time. Of the two, RtL is vastly superior, or rather SoB is vastly inferior, with its multiple bugs. It adds variety, however, but I'd say you just need the text from two or three scores cards, so don't buy it now.

If you merely want to play separate medium-length scenarios, then focus on the non-campaign extensions. The chronological order is : Well of Darkness, Altar of Despair, Tomb of Ice, but playing with the first two and not the latter will create a heavy bias towards the Overlord.

WoD and AoD add a lot of dangerous monsters, and Treachery, a mechanism by which the OL may replace some cards in his deck by vastly superior cards.
The typical amount of treachery for one scenario is about 10 points, and with one point you may e.g. double the effect of a Skeleton spawn card.

ToI compensates this a little by providing the heroes with "feats", actions that may be played as one-shot bonus effects (more damage, additional attack, depriving the OL of threat, nullifying a trap card ...); each hero will be able to play 5-8 such effects in a single scenario.

Whence I'd say that, if you can afford it, you should buy those three expansions at once. Added complexity is very moderate.

As for 2nd edition, well, it's less fun IMO. Most notably, 1Ed characters are much more diverse and interesting to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be warned that all expansions, short of SoB, usually goes for more than 100$ on eBay. They are very hard to come by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ultimatewolf wrote:
I am thinking of getting some expansions and honestly not sure what I should be looking for.
I can't even find a list that shows the order of the releases.
Any advice on which expansions or items to purchase in what order would greatly help me.
As always, thanks for the input and your time.

to answer your question - bigger wallet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played AoD, WoD, and ToI. If you were to pick one of those, I'd start with Well. Then I'd pick up ToI. All of them add in some cool twists, but ToI tends to restore balance back to help the heroes a bit. The group I played with really struggled to win quests with treachery because the OL's deck becomes much more brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One thing that I would recommend if you are just interested in playing the vanilla portion of the game is to look at your group. If your OL is really strong and wants to continue playing the OL, I would recommend purchasing ToI first, as it helps the hero group out with the addition of Feats. AoD and WoD will just make the OL win more, which a lot of people really struggle with in the first place.

But yes, optimally, purchasing and using all 3 expansions would be your best bet.

Also keep in mind to have the most recent version of the FAQ Good luck and remember to ask any rules questions here if you guys get stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:
One thing that I would recommend if you are just interested in playing the vanilla portion of the game is to look at your group. If your OL is really strong and wants to continue playing the OL, I would recommend purchasing ToI first, as it helps the hero group out with the addition of Feats. AoD and WoD will just make the OL win more, which a lot of people really struggle with in the first place.

But yes, optimally, purchasing and using all 3 expansions would be your best bet.

Also keep in mind to have the most recent version of the FAQ Good luck and remember to ask any rules questions here if you guys get stuck.

Great advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:
Be warned that all expansions, short of SoB, usually goes for more than 100$ on eBay. They are very hard to come by.

Agreed. Search for fanmade material or make your own adventures. As an RPG DM, we had to do this before the days of electricity and fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
The best you can do in RPGs is to create home-made campaigns in a style which will suit your friends' taste, but notice this can't be done in Descent, where the one who handles the monsters is the heroes' opponent, meaning there will always be balance concerns, even when there aren't and only luck is involved.

It is of course easy to use proxys for OL cards, hero cards, items and feats. One possibility is to create quests without any secret elements and give the other player(s) their choice of sides - or if playing 1 vs. 1 you may switch sides and play again.

There are some interesting quests here on BGG. I very much recommend The Final Exam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.