Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a streaming hot deal, but if anyone had been waiting to pick this up, it's a bit cheaper.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eclipse-new-dawn-for-galaxy/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have warned everyone that I picked it up at full price a few days ago, so it was definitely due to go on sale. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How good would this be for use as a tool to learn the board game?
I know TtR and Carcassonne aren't supposed to be too difficult, but after playing hundreds of games of both on my phone and Xbox, I was able to jump right into the physical versions. But then I have read that there are some differences between how things work in the Elder Sign Unseen Omens game (I think that is the name of it) versus how some elements work in the board game.
I own Eclipse and Rise of the Ancients but have not played it yet. I have only read the rulebook maybe 3 or 4 times and those were a month ago. Would I be able to understand everything about the board game from this app, or are there some things missing or mechanics I wouldn't understand because the game is running itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the app before I bought the game. I'd say it made the physical game fairly easy to understand. They even show you the dice rolls for the combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This app helped solidify some of my interpretations of the rule book. However, I'm in the same boat as you -- I own the physical game but haven't gotten it to the table. No one in my gaming group has ever played it, so it falls to me to know the rules. I feel pretty confident to run the game after a few plays on the app.

I do enjoy the app and while I would have liked to grab it at a slightly cheaper price than the $7 I paid, I feel I'll get my money's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris X

Texas
msg tools
You'll understand everything from playing the app, Nick. It's actually a deceptively easy game to learn considering its depth. It's so well designed (iconography/layout/etc) that after a play or two you won't have to consult the rule book much at all. I'm talking about the physical version if that's not clear. The app version is just OK. It was an outright disaster at launch but they've fixed most of the glaring issues.

One thing to note - in the physical version the upgrades all have a max and min cost listed on the tile. In the iPad game the max price changes based on any discounts you have. I don't think that would confuse a digital player going to physical, but it confused me going the other way initially.

And now my own question: Did Big Daddy ever implement some kind of mechanism to see what your opponent did on his turn? Without that the game is completely worthless for competitive play. I assume this is on their to do list along side an undo button for Neuroshima Hex in online play. If they add that in or implement a chess timer system like Playdek uses (so we could play live games) it might be worth a reinstall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments on it, all. I only paid $56 for both Eclipse and RotA, so another $5 that I will consider as part of my total spent on Eclipse still means I have made out pretty well on the game as a whole.
I'll probably buy it at $5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.