BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What to buy next rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacco Kamminga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
First of all, i'm a long time bgg lurker and now the time has come for me to make my first forum post. (And there was much rejoice laugh)

*warning, wall of text incoming. cool

Let me first introduce myself and my gaming companions. It all started about 15 years ago when me and some friends from high school discovered a shared interest in everything fantasy related. We we're all playing Magic the Gathering at that time (we started around when Ice Age was in stores) but we wanted something more. Something more heroic.

So our first shared game was Heroquest. We all took the GM role in shifts and had loads of fun playing it. But still we wanted more. So we went to our local game store where we used to hang out for our magic cards and talked to the shop owner who recommended a Dungeons and Dragons starter set to us. I think it was the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons starter set (the one with the double sided poster, 1 cave area and 1 mansion.) We played it and loved it. We bought some books (PHB, MM and DMG) and loved it even more! We ended up buying almost every single Advanced Dungeons and Dragons book and then third edition came out. Long story told short, up until 4th edition we bought most books that came out (rule books AND novels). But during 4th edition we discovered 2 things. We didn't like the 4th Edition approach as much as we had liked the previous editions and real life struck us. We all have jobs, some of us have kids now and getting the entire group together is hard and playing D&D with only 3 people is not the same fun as playing it with 5 (at least for us)

Parallel to this, during 4th edition we got together with our partners and discovered we all also like to play boardgames. So we all bought some games and played them and all got our favourites. We even have 1 weekend each year where we rent a house and get together and just play boardgames.

So where D&D slowly bled dry for us, the boardgames were taking over. Sometimes we just got together as our old friend group and played some casual magic, or our partners would join in and we would play bigger boardgames. Our favourites include:

* Dominion
* Puerto Rico
* Goa
* Small World
* Machiavelli
* Stone Age
* Clue

Up until i bought The legends of Andor. Our friend group of old started playing and we discovered what was new for us. The fantasy co-op RPG(ish) experience in a boardgame! We simply loved it! There was no need for a DM to prepare, no need to spend hours and hours on a character, writing a background and tweak with ability scores until our imagination had been translated into a character sheet. I was just simply, bring the box, read the instructions for the story and play.

We loved it so much we also bought:

* Mage Knight (all expansions)
* Rune Wars (because rolling dice in risk is .... but you still want to fight with an army sometimes)
* All the Dungeons and Dragons boardgames (including all de Dungeon Command boxes)
* I recently bought X-Wing the miniatures games base set. But we haven't played it yet.

We simply love these kind of games. But still, now the need for something persistent has arrived. Something maybe more like a campaign with a character that levels as we play. We also seem to like options. So now our eyes have fallen on:

* Descent 2nd edition (some reviews were calling this D&D light)
* Pathfinde the card game (Dungeons and Dragons meets Dominion)

I've read some reviews of Descent that were really good and other people don't seem to like the game at all. I like the fact that it is expandable and your characters seem to level during a campaign. But what's holding me back is that every single scenario seems to consist out of 2 encounters. I'm also not sure whether or not i like the fact of an overlord actually trying to beat the players. It might work out just fine, but it's new for us so neutral here.

Pathfinder looks like a marriage between Dominion (which we really like) and our well known D&D setting. The game also really looks loaded with options which is also something we like alot (but not with too many complex rules).

As a last point, our gaming sessions will be something around 2-3 hours. (which is the reason we don't play Mage Knight and Runewars alot; which is a shame because these games are alot of fun)

Am i missing some games here. And which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance and looking forward to your replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder ACG and Dominion have almost nothin in common. Pathfinder is a light RPG-ish game in card form. It's all about making skill checks with dice and using your hand to manage that. It's a polarizing game.

I haven't played much DnD but I wouldn't call Descent light. It's the iconic minis dungeon crawl. If you like going through a dungeon and having to tactically fight through different kinds of monsters then it's the game for you. There's also a coop expansion that was just released that I can't wait to try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should go with Descent. Pathfinder has a somewhat limited shelf life because of how you need to continue to buy expansions in order to make the game interesting. Plus there doesn't seem to be much variation between the quests in that game.

Descent really has everything you're looking for, and you can start and end campaigns at your leisure. If you're on the fence about it, I would suggest checking out Rahdo's runthrough of it if you haven't already - http://boardgamegeek.com/video/41005/descent-journeys-dark-s...

I'm not sure what your finances are like in this decision, but if money isn't a big factor, The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is one you should consider checking out. It has deck building similar to Magic: The Gathering, but it's a cooperative-based questing game. It also supposedly scales up okay, though I haven't played it with more than two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent is like HeroQuest all grown up. The main difference is that the overlord has more meaningful choices and their own objective (other than just stopping the heroes). And there's a modular board. If you want to get back to that HeroQuest feeling, but with more depth, Descent is a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent is not for me (not into dungeon crawlers at all), but from what you write it seems like JUST THE GAME YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. I would be very surprised if you don't love it. So go and and get it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While reading through your text, I constantly thought about Descent. So I say just get that. Keep in mind that the Overlord doesn't have to play to win at all costs; I enjoy it more if he behaves similar to a DM in a RPG that takes a win from time to time if the heroes are careless or unlucky. But that is up to you.

Descent doesn't really offer a cohesive story, though. Each scenario is more like an episode that feels distracted from a (not really existant) plot.

If you are looking for a dungeon crawler with a very deep and engaging fairy-tale like story, you might want to check out Mice and Mystics. I do consider the game itself very repetitive and got bored rather quickly, but the storyline is really nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Kamminga
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the replies!

Descent it is! Although i'm curious about Lord of the Rings LCG now as well. I will look into that as well. My budget is big enough to buy the base sets of both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can tell you that me and our gaming group have pretty much gone the same way your group have We used to be huge DnD players and playe d alot of other RPGs as well. Then when we got older and had kids etc we realized we wouldnt be able to coup timewise with RPGs like we used to.
So we delved into the world of Boardgaming and at least i found what i was looking for. I used to be a GM when we played RPGs so i still kinda have that role as i read the rules and set everything up and usually buy and own all the games hehe.
That is ONE reaon i really liked and bought Descent. And it is the game that we played the most in our old DnD group. One person( me) have to act the Overlord and be the bad guy though. And i dont mind that, i get very happy even if they twart my evil plan and succeed Its just such a lighthearted fun game for an evening.
Something i can REALLY reccomend as well and was a hit with the same group was Defenders of the realm. As an old DnD player you wont be put off by old Larry Elmores artwork either as many others have hehe. I love it
I can also reccomend Eldritch Horror ( since Arkham Horror will be too timeconsuming for your timetable). Great Theme and like a Arkham Horror light, less setup time but still good fun and keep some of the theme. We bought that a few weeks ago but have already played it several times.
Also another game we LOVE to play, almost on the nr 2 spot for me of best game for your group is: A touch of evil.Its similar in structure to Arkham Horror, but less fiddly and so much theme and good fun. very good mix of things to do( Combat, thinking, dicerolling, charactersheets etc etc)
Hope that helps.
/Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.