3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Card Art Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Absolom
msg tools
mb
Around 10 years ago my girlfriend and I hosted a harry potter themed Halloween party and as part of the activities we created a card game to play. As the hobby graphic design and game designer i was at the time, I made the cards, but we just printed the out on cardstock and put the whole thing together very amateurish. We are married now and I decided as an extra gift for her this year I would revisit the game, update it with some of the new content from the books etc...

my issue is that I pulled a great deal of the card art from movie stills and random fan art i found 10 years ago. I wasn't concerned with reprinting things because I was croping the crap out of everything and printing it on a crummy bubble jet. I want to use a service like printer studio and I am concerned that If i submit the new card art they may not print it because some of it is clearly from movie promotion images and random googled images. I of course don't plan on using any of this as a potential commercial product, and even if i did want to make the game into something i could publish or crowdfund, i would overhall the whole thing to avoid the harry potter content all together.

The question is, for a single print of the card set, will they make the cards or cancel my order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
As long as you have no intent to sell the cards there should be no issue. I haven't heard of any issues with printers like this, but a quip about personal use and no intent to sell may be useful just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've printed with Printer's Studio twice and I think it is unlikely they will give you any hassle. They do ask you if you have permission or own copyright on all the materials, but I think it's pretty much on the honor system as to whether you actually do or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.