Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Preston
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple friends and I are learning this game on BGA. We just finished our 1st Advanced game. We thought the game ended early. The Age II civic deck was emptied at the start of the first player's turn. Then the game ended immediately. I thought when the civic deck runs out at the start of the 1st player's turn, then all players should get 1 more turn. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scheck
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
briforge wrote:
A couple friends and I are learning this game on BGA. We just finished our 1st Advanced game. We thought the game ended early. The Age II civic deck was emptied at the start of the first player's turn. Then the game ended immediately. I thought when the civic deck runs out at the start of the 1st player's turn, then all players should get 1 more turn. Am I missing something?

From page 11 of the rules: "When the last Civil Card from Deck II is placed in the Card Row, it makes the end of Age II. [...] Furthermore, it marks the end of the game: at the end of the round, the players..."

So when the deck runs out, finish the current round. This means that if it runs out on the last player's turn, the game ends after he finishes his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Preston
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tscheck wrote:
briforge wrote:

From page 11 of the rules: "When the last Civil Card from Deck II is placed in the Card Row, it makes the end of Age II. [...] Furthermore, it marks the end of the game: at the end of the round, the players..."

So when the deck runs out, finish the current round. This means that if it runs out on the last player's turn, the game ends after he finishes his turn.

Thanks for responding. But my point was that the deck ran out at the start of the first player's turn, because the card row step happens at the start of each player's turn, right? So since that happened at the start of the start player's turn, then there should be another round, where each player gets a final turn - right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
briforge wrote:

The way I always thought of it, is that the last player in the previous turn caused the deck to run out. IF the last player takes enough cards from the row so that there are not enough cards for the first player to completely refill the row, the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scheck
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
briforge wrote:
tscheck wrote:
briforge wrote:

Thanks for responding. But my point was that the deck ran out at the start of the first player's turn, because the card row step happens at the start of each player's turn, right? So since that happened at the start of the start player's turn, then there should be another round, where each player gets a final turn - right?

Yes. When the first player is refilling the card row, that means his turn (and therefore the new round) has already started. So you finish the current round (i.e., everyone gets 1 more turn).

Also read on page 16, this makes it even more clear. "Once the last card from the Civil Deck II is placed in the Card Row, the game is nearing the end. [...] When the player to the right of the Starting Player has completed his turn, it is time to count bonus Culture Points." So if the start player places the last Age II card, he finishes his turn, and the next player, until it gets to the player sitting to his right. Then it ends. If the player sitting to the start player's right places the last card, then the game is over as soon as he finishes his turn.

This is different than the Full Game, where every player always gets at least 1 full turn (not counting refilling the card row) in Age IV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.