25 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: New player - game seems too easy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently purchased the base game and I really enjoy it so far. I love that I can play it by myself if nobody is available, or easily fit extra people in.

I've played 4 games by now, 2 solo, 2 with a friend, and they've all been pretty easy. Every time I try to make the game harder, like creating my own scenario, or adding extra zombie spawns... or even reducing the number of survivors... (One time I just ran two)... but I've won every time, and only once have I ever had a survivor actually get a wound.

Some guys at my local gaming store suggested taking the good weapons out of the deck... but I'm reluctant to go that method because it feels "Fun" to find a cool new weapon when searching, and I don't want to cut down on the fun factor so I'd rather leave the shiny weapons but add more zombies...

How do you guys make the game more challenging?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jobi Wan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cheapest option i.m.o. : Get a box of zombie dogs. These are though zombies!

Toxic zombies are in Toxic city mall . But i don't own TCM so i am not sure about how though toxic zombies are. These are also sold separately

Season 2 has berserker zombies, these you can kill with melee only.

There is also a kickstarter currently running for season 3 of Zombicide which seem to have some brutal zombies as well!

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on board for season 3, but feel disadvantaged because I only recently stumbled upon this game, so missed out on previous cool stuff. It's ok though, I'll live without Sheldon I suppose! lol.

Also, It seems we'll have to wait until February until Season 3 is shipping, so that'll give me time to pick up season 2 and play with it before then. I'll look into the dogs. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jobi Wan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Same here! I missed the boat on season 1 and 2 kickstarters as well. On board for three!

However its not that bad since with the season 3 we wil get all the dashboards of the promo's!

I bought season 2 first and after this season 1. I have a combined deck of weapons and i always play with a different spawn deck.

Check this link out as well, it helps a lot tuning a spawn deck:

http://zombicide.com/en/blog-zombie-cards-secrets

Zombie hell is a good one combined with the dogz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you definitely playing the rules correctly? Some commonly missed once that make the game easier are

- only one search per survivor per turn (so max of 4-6 items per turn could be found normally if everybody did their one search)
- when you open a building you spawn inside every room

These are the two most commonly forgotten ones that if you are doing wrong make the game much easier. What missions are you playing too? Some are much easier than others. Mission 1 - City Blocks is probably the hardest in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other commonly missed/misunderstood rules:
- Zombie Splitting rules
- Sewer Spawnings
- Guns hit Survivors first
- Double Activations from spawns

Reread the rules (or grab the PDF for Season 2, as it was reworked and clearer to understand than one) just to make sure you're getting everything right.

I don't think it's a terribly difficult game, but I do lose a good percentage of the time, so if you're never losing, chances are you're missing a rule or two.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:
or even reducing the number of survivors... (One time I just ran two)... but I've won every time, and only once have I ever had a survivor actually get a wound.

Sounds very unlikely. You're most definitely playing something wrong, it is not that easy of a game. Playing 4 survivors is a challenge, playing 2 is a deathwish (unless you're playing the Y-Zone scenario, which is ridiculously easy as written).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Some scenarios can be easy, but are you sure, that you are getting all the rules right? The usual question if a game seems too easy .

An extra activation for each of a zombietype, if you must add more of that type, but don't have enough left.

When you add zombies, the most experienced survivor determines if you use blue, yellow, orange or red.

Fatties come with 2 walkers when spawning.

Zombies comming up from manholes - here the tiles occupied by survivors are important (not the zones).

Targeting rule for ranged weapons. You first hit any survivors in a zone you are targeting and then the zombies in a specific order.

The former is also important because of the different hitpoints the zombies have (and runners are last to be killed). If you hit a fatty with a weapon dealing too little damage, it doesn't matter how many hits you get - they'll all hit the fatty without killing it (effectively shielding any runners in that zone).

Splitting of the last zombie in a group, if there are equal target option for it to move towards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Crabbok wrote:
or even reducing the number of survivors... (One time I just ran two)... but I've won every time, and only once have I ever had a survivor actually get a wound.

Sounds very unlikely. You're most definitely playing something wrong, it is not that easy of a game. Playing 4 survivors is a challenge, playing 2 is a deathwish (unless you're playing the Y-Zone scenario, which is ridiculously easy as written).

Actually yes, one of the first zones we did was Y-Zone.... all we had to do was run to the exit... it was ridiculous. I think we only had to shoot 4 zombies and we were home free.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting all the rules right. The only one I had wrong was splitting - but a friend corrected me last night.

It could be that I'm just plan really well what i'm going to do? or perhaps just lucky? or a mix of both.

Usually my general plan is to determine which buildings I'm going to open, and get to them quick. I want to kick in the doors as early as possible, so that I'm spawning all those buildings while were in the blue. This ends up giving me multiple rooms that are empty. Yes I run the chance of getting an abomination, but then I just pull my team to a different building.

Once inside I clear out any immediate zombies and spend ensure I search with every character, but never use my last action to search in case of an "Ahhhh!". After the 2nd turn of searching, I should have approx 12 searches, and I usually end up having multiple guns, at least one chainsaw, and the last 2 games I've ended up with a Molly by then, so even if there is an Abomination I'm not worried. Now I'm fully loaded with the best guns and melee, and I'm still in the blue, so I can just charge objectives and head for the exit. I've never even hit the orange because I'm always done well before then.

We even did an extra zombie spawn one time.... but with weapons like a chainsaw, where I can just take Goth Amy, run into a group, and spend 2+ actions mowing down 5 or more zombies.... I dunno maybe I just roll really good dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:
DeePee wrote:
Crabbok wrote:

Actually yes, one of the first zones we did was Y-Zone.... all we had to do was run to the exit... it was ridiculous. I think we only had to shoot 4 zombies and we were home free.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting all the rules right. The only one I had wrong was splitting - but a friend corrected me last night.

It could be that I'm just plan really well what i'm going to do? or perhaps just lucky? or a mix of both.

Usually my general plan is to determine which buildings I'm going to open, and get to them quick. I want to kick in the doors as early as possible, so that I'm spawning all those buildings while were in the blue. This ends up giving me multiple rooms that are empty. Yes I run the chance of getting an abomination, but then I just pull my team to a different building.

Once inside I clear out any immediate zombies and spend ensure I search with every character, but never use my last action to search in case of an "Ahhhh!". After the 2nd turn of searching, I should have approx 12 searches, and I usually end up having multiple guns, at least one chainsaw, and the last 2 games I've ended up with a Molly by then, so even if there is an Abomination I'm not worried. Now I'm fully loaded with the best guns and melee, and I'm still in the blue, so I can just charge objectives and head for the exit. I've never even hit the orange because I'm always done well before then.

We even did an extra zombie spawn one time.... but with weapons like a chainsaw, where I can just take Goth Amy, run into a group, and spend 2+ actions mowing down 5 or more zombies.... I dunno maybe I just roll really good dice.

Play mission 1. It sounds like you played all of the easy missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your tactics are sound. Remember you can't search if there's a zombie in the room with you. You'll soon learn to stop worrying about Abominations anyway, they're a disappointment! Try out City Blocks and see if you find that easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
"After the 2nd turn of searching, I should have approx 12 searches"

This would be wrong unless your playing 6 survivors.. You can only use 1 action to search of your 3. So searches can only be done 1 time, per survivor per turn..

If your running 4 survivors, then you would need 3 full turns to search through 12 cards.. unless you were really lucky and found a flashlight in your first search.

As for spawning buildings in blue, thats fairly common. But without seeing you play, Its hard to determine if your getting everything correct. Theres no way you should be able to play out a med or hard scenario with 2 heros.. it wouldnt matter how much you planned.. you wouldnt be able to get to certain buildings without being overrunn, or blocked by zombies that are spawning ahead of you or near the objectives.

I suspect something is off.. try city blocks.. if you do that one, with 2 or 4 guys and it seems "easy" then something is certainly wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll third or fourth the idea that you're probably missing a rule. Go back through threads looking for commonly misplayed rules and I guarantee you'll find one or go watch a playthough on Youtube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 search per character per turn, great weapons aren't super easy to find, zombies stack up if you avoid them (camping), zombies split and may double in buildings, there are 'reload weapons' that can only be fired twice per turn, etc...

Some scenarios are easy, but overall most are tough if played correctly. Add in Zombie dogs, toxic and berserk walkers, and you'll have some nail biter games!

If you go to GG's website you can download the most recent copy of the rules that may explain things better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys, I have an update.

It turns out I was probably just playing easy scenarios before. I had run one from the book, and then "Made up" my own. I don't think I had enough objectives in my own scenarios because playing the City Blocks mission was far more difficult.

So I ran City blocks solo last night with only 4 survivors. I didn't play it all the way through because it was running late so I ended up calling it. I ended up having 3 people get wounded due to "extra activations"I got some good weapons early, like a chainsaw in the first round of searching - and got a gas can and glass bottle so was able to clear out an abomination + a large hoard and ended up getting half the objectives before calling it.

It looked like I was still going to be able to defeat the mission, but I was only in the orange so once I got into the red it might have changed. Certainly not easy, but it did seem winnable.

One question though, I had one turn where a boomer came up from the sewers (so came with 2 walkers) and one group came up on the square where my whole team was - the next spawn card gave all walkers 1 action - so the 2 walkers that just spawned on my survivors each had a free action.

My question is : did they each need to target the same survivor? or can I choose who they bite? I played it as having them each bite a different survivor, so as to not have someone die on me... but I MIGHT have done that wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beating City Blocks with 4 survivors is pretty good (if that is how it would have ended) and you often don't get to red danger level on the S1 missions (at least the ones from the book). Regarding wound allocation you got this spot on though, you can distribute the wounds how you like so you give one each to two survivors rather than both to one and them dying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game turns very quickly in orange and red. I would not just end the game and say, yeah we would have won if you were that far in the threat level :P If you were still in yellow and you almost had all the objectives then maybe but there's a HUGE jump in zombie spawns once you hit orange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note... don't forget that when you take a wound you lose a piece of gear so each of those survivors that took a wound needed to discard a card just in case you missed that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mission
Portugal
flag msg tools
Crabbok wrote:
Recently purchased the base game and I really enjoy it so far. I love that I can play it by myself if nobody is available, or easily fit extra people in.

I've played 4 games by now, 2 solo, 2 with a friend, and they've all been pretty easy. Every time I try to make the game harder, like creating my own scenario, or adding extra zombie spawns... or even reducing the number of survivors... (One time I just ran two)... but I've won every time, and only once have I ever had a survivor actually get a wound.

Some guys at my local gaming store suggested taking the good weapons out of the deck... but I'm reluctant to go that method because it feels "Fun" to find a cool new weapon when searching, and I don't want to cut down on the fun factor so I'd rather leave the shiny weapons but add more zombies...

So...this game is playable solo or with my son, choosing a hero each one of us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Briosa wrote:
Crabbok wrote:

So...this game is playable solo or with my son, choosing a hero each one of us?

You'd have to each play a few survivors but you can play it solo or 2 player if you don't mind controlling a few survivors each. You'll want 4-6 survivors for most missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup since you are playing against the game itself, you can play with people or solo.

And yeah I was loosing gear each time I got a wound. I might not have won.... but it did seem "possible" at the time I quit. Kind of all depends on luck. I had good weapons/setups on 3 of my 4 survivors, and had a mostly clear path to the next objective, so it really just depends on luck. Though I'm sure once I opened the next building it was gonna be crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:

One question though, I had one turn where a boomer came up from the sewers (so came with 2 walkers) and one group came up on the square where my whole team was - the next spawn card gave all walkers 1 action - so the 2 walkers that just spawned on my survivors each had a free action.

My question is : did they each need to target the same survivor? or can I choose who they bite? I played it as having them each bite a different survivor, so as to not have someone die on me... but I MIGHT have done that wrong.

You choose to distribute the damage as you see fit, but all damage must be distributed before the zombies go into feeding frenzy mode.

That is, say you had two survivors on the square and three walkers. The walkers extra-activate. You have to give two damage to one survivor, killing him, and the third damage to your other survivor who still lives. You can't put all three on one survivor and let him die while the second guy gets away unscathed.

At least that's my understanding of how the rules work. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

So short answer: You did it properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct James. Feeding Frenzy only takes place after all survivors in a zone are dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Milford Haven
Pembrokeshire
flag msg tools
Rai # 5 by Valiant Comics
badge
Jim Shooter is a comics legend!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying out this game it seems great so far. But can someone explain why most scenarios say 4+ or 6+ survivors? Obviously that means you shouldn't play with fewer than 3 or 5 survivors respectively, but do you adjust something for how many survivors you play?
Otherwise I could just send in 20 survivors and would probably wipe out all the zombies and spawn points before they get a turn.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a few medium or hard scenarios. I don't know if they reprinted the mission book with updated missions but check their site. There was one or two that were broke. And too easy in season 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.