Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone.

I've played a few games of this, all with 4 players. I'm tempted to pick up a copy to play with my other game group (my brother and dad) but wonder how well it scales with 3 players.

I know the game is a good fit for the 3 of us in terms of theme and gameplay, it's just the fact there are 3 of us that puts me off picking up my own copy to play with them.

I was talking to one of the guys I played 4P with and he said that the only issue he could think of was that in the match ups you could get P1 and P2 in 2 match ups together and then P3 is just left in 1 matchup.

You could house rule this so it doesn't happen, I know, but I wondered if anyone has any opinions about a straight up 3P game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It works just fine. There are two things that make that situation work.

1. The player that will be left alone will pretty much win unchallenged and they'll the rewards for both sides of the highlight as well.

2. When a cup shows up all bets are off. They'll just send a few people to make sure they win the match up they are alone in and then focus on the cup and win that.

I definitely prefer it with four, but it works just fine with three as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused at the whole "one person gets left alone." I mean, it can happen, but in all the three player games I've played (maybe 3?) I've only ever seen each of three matchups hold a different pair of players. Out of necessity more than anything else.

I've enjoyed this game with every number between 2-4, and have found no problems with balance. Just my two cents. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Stuffing Beavers for Over Thirty Years
mbmbmbmbmb
chrishall20 wrote:
Hi everyone.
I was talking to one of the guys I played 4P with and he said that the only issue he could think of was that in the match ups you could get P1 and P2 in 2 match ups together and then P3 is just left in 1 matchup.

Unless P1 and P2 run out of players to play, not sure why one of them wouldn't be able to jump into P3's game? There isn't a limit to the number of matches a team can play in (but they might get spread a little thin if they get into too many)

I've played 3-player many times, works just fine.

- Johin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a 3P game and that situation did happen to me once. In retrospect, I should have remembered the option to pass and saved my best cards for the next round (week) of the game. As it turns out, I won that game so it didn't turn out badly even with being locked out and overall the game was lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3P is fine. I used to enjoy this as a 2P game until I started playing with 3 and 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played plenty of 3 player matches. 1 player seldom gets left alone. Yes it can happen but it seldom does because it's to the extreme benefit to not let that happen. Usually you have a grid that looks like:

p1 p3 p2 p1 p2
match1 match2 match3 tourney
p2 p1 p3 p3

It doesn't always work out evenly but usually if everyone is paying attention you won't have 1 player left a lone. Often someone may just throw down 1 player on their last move to try and prevent it. But it's still about keeping people in check and the turn order from round to round shifts the flow.

But in the end it works perfectly well as a 3 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played many 3 player games and have not had much of an issue with it. That said, I play a variant where when a tournament comes up, we do not actually play at that pitch. We just play regularly and whoever wins the majority, wins the tourney. We play that way because 1) I misread the rules when I got the game and 2) after misreading the rules and not playing for long spans of time, forgot about the rule. That said, it works for us and honestly, I never liked the idea of more than two teams on a pitch anyways.

In regards to normal matches, I can only recall one instance where a player decided to only play on one pitch. I think he got confused with turn order or something, because nobody had challenged him on his pitch. Bizarrely, he played another player on the same pitch, allowing me and the other guy to pair up. He paid dearly for that mistake and now pays much closer attention to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow so seems that no one has had any issues with three players, thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
I've played a 3P game and that situation did happen to me once. In retrospect, I should have remembered the option to pass and saved my best cards for the next round (week) of the game. As it turns out, I won that game so it didn't turn out badly even with being locked out and overall the game was lots of fun! :)

Same experience, it happens when you are number three, there are no tourneys and goes like this:

Round 1:

1 3
M M M

Round 2:

1 1 3
M M M
2 2

As you can see 3 is blocked out as 1 and 2 commits at the same matchup twice.

However, I easily won the matchup (as my opponent was committing at 3(!) matchups) and saved most of my best players for next round by passing.

Won the game by the way.

Cheerio,
ST

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This

SovTech wrote:

1 1 3
M M M
2 2

Is exactly what I meant, and what I was referring to when I said you could house rule it. Seems like it isn't really an issue though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took the plunge and picked this up today, will try my first 3P on Saturday.

Will post thoughts here for anyone still interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, me again!

Played 3P yesterday and it went down a storm!

The other 2 players had never played it, but after the first round they got what was going on. I didn't bother with the house rule about 2 players matching up twice to leave the other player free, and we didn't come across any issues.

Both my opponents loved it and are already looking forward to playing it again, so it's definitely a keeper.

Thanks for all your help here folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah its not that big a problem and only for the 3rd player which changes from round to round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas MacIntyre
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
I attack the darkness...
badge
Please Wait....
mbmbmbmb
It is a tactical decision to kick someone else out of getting two match ups.. first player moves around and its hella unlikely you will win against all of a players commited players in a turn.

Its also the reason to stake a place at match ups before losing any places and being stuck in the tourney.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.