Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been playing The Manhattan Projectlately "love it" and was thinking about getting the expansion "Second Stage" but I'm blown away by the fact that the price for the expansion is more than what I paid for the actual game!

Is this normal?

Is the expansion that good?

Is it worth the money?

Also, has anyone out there seen examples of this in the past and what game was it for?

I'm wondering if this is a trend or just limited supply.

Thanks

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
fewer expansions are produced in terms of numbers than base games.

Occasionally an expansion will be out of print when the base game is not and thus prices for the expansion rise.

I believe the doom expansion is now more expensive than the base game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom expansion???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom: The Boardgame Expansion Set sells for more than Doom the board game.

As for second stage you can get it from minion games where are you seeing it as more expensive than the base game? MM has it for $22.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably got a good deal on the base game. The retail prices are $50 and $35, respectively. So it's not more than the base game.

I bought it from CSI and we mostly just use the new nations. (If you don't have Nations, you really should get it). But sometimes we use rockets. Someday perhaps we'll use H-bombs or personalities, but we're in no rush to try them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always check EBay first just to see the price and that is where it is crazy high! Amazon does have it for $26, so that's batter! $22!!!! That's the best!
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. There's no rule that an expansion has to be "smaller" than the game it's expanding. If an expansion is larger than the game it's expanding, then it makes sense for the expansion to cost more. For example, while not exactly an expansion, if you wanted to get a full set of meeples for the $15 Tiny Epic Kingdoms, it would cost you $110.

2. Expansions by definition are going to sell less less than the game they're expanding, since the market for the expansion is a strict subset of the market for the base game. Thus, economies of scale don't work out quite as well and it might make sense for the expansion to cost more. This has come up in D&D, for example; there have been a number of D&D books which were more expensive and smaller than the core books for the same edition.

3. If the base game is still in print but the expansion is not, and is sought after, then simple laws of supply and demand will cause the expansion to command a premium.

4. And, finally, I just checked CoolStuffInc. Both Manhattan Project and Second Stage are in stock. MSRPs of each are $50 and $35, respectively. Prices are $33.50 and $23, respectively. So you're explicitly incorrect in this one particular example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
I always check EBay first just to see the price and that is where it is crazy high! Amazon does have it for $26, so that's batter! $22!!!! That's the best!
Thanks

There is a big difference between what people are asking and what people are paying. Unfortunately if you are the buyer and everyone is selling at a high price (and no one is buying at that high price) then we have a problem.

I typically find that EBay is the last place I look for newer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
2. Expansions by definition are going to sell less less than the game they're expanding, since the market for the expansion is a strict subset of the market for the base game.
Should I be embarrassed that I've owned expansions for base games I never owned?
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your parents never had the talk with you, did they? Okay, so there are the birds and the bees... The bees are suppliers who make honey, and the birds are customers who demand honey. We'll start by drawing a simple supply and demand curve.... now if you're embarrassed at any point, just let me know okay...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...but teacher said that bird and bee DNA just won't splice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im dont have a university degree in economics, nor am involved with selling boardgames so I cant tell you the whole truth.

But maybe this can help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
EBWonder wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this sure went off track fast! LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Kelly, No you are not the only one! I've done this when I see massive clearance deals or shops that are going out of business and only have the expansions left for sale at 70% or higher off the regular price. The prices are soooo low that I couldn't pass it up and I end up buying the game in the hopes of buying the original game later.
"which doesn't always happen!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EBWonder wrote:

Fools! I'll show them all!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.