Hide
4 Posts

Assault on Doomrock» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jess truk
msg tools
I see a lot of comparisons to Pathfinder, but while Doomrock's mechanics look more interesting to me, it seems though you could rip through all the cards after only a few plays, especially the encounters (only 9?), whereas Pathfinder came with 200 more cards in the base with 6 expansions having already been greenlit before the base was released. If this game were cheaper I'd be all over it, but for $60 I just don't see enough replay to justify the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
like most board games, the replayability will come in the form randomness distinct changes in player choices on subsequent playthroughs. In terms of replayabiltiy base game to base game, RotRL base set had brigadoom and the sandpoint adventure pack. for a total of 9 scenarios.

While I have not played this game, examining the contents and rahdo playthroughs.

here,we have:
randomness in adventure deck: different ordering the locations as they arise and disappear which greatly change the landscape of the choices you make. this is very different from the same locations but random boons and banes in PACG.

randomness in hero+skill/combos of heroes: this is much like taking a different character in PACG, however if you use the random abilities on level up rather than the class choice of abilities option your character will develop quite differently over time from session to session. for you to level up your character in PACG as you know, it takes many play sessions and adventure deck add ons) This will influence your choices in the adventuring. True your heroes develop different based on the boons you encounter PACG, and the randomness there is huge! I think we dropped 4 blessings in a 4 p game just so Valeros could to acquire a spell my daughter wanted

I have strong inkling that (while me and my kids thoroughly enjoy playing PACG) that this will see the table more often because of the increased strategic choices/ options and group decisions.

As for encounters. it is some 27 distinct whereas for PACG there are 6 distinct enemies/'quests' in each adventure pack, and 6 packs total+ 3 in the base game for 39 encounters(after 200$ ?? ) Don't misread me, PACG is a family favorite and I am running Ranzak and Seelah through the whole AP solo on top of the family game night... but I feel that Assualt on doomrock will supplant PACG as a family favorite.

That said I would not mind more enemies, and setting cards, or heros... but that is what expansions are for..base game to base game I see far more playability here..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same as the OP, that the content and gameplay don't seem to warrant a $60 game. I'm interested, slightly, but I wil wait for more impressions/reviews and if it turns out to be a winnner I will maybe give it a shot discounted from an online retailer.

I think that is the biggest reason the campaign hasn't taken off. The game just seems overpriced to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
Watched the rhado video. Very interested...until I saw the play time of three hours, and the $80 cost. $60 game plus $20 to ship to Canada. No way. This is a max $40 game. For a card game, it almost costs the same as legendary encounters: Alien, and that was high because they had to buy the license for the movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.