Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the game one of the first in my mind altering experience of learning there are real board games out there. No Stupid Monopoly!

Ok I like the game but something seems to be missing for me to love it like the masses seems to. I cant seem to put my finger on what is missing.

This seems like a risk game not saying they are the same they are not. This game is fun . The game feels cramped. I always feel like i want to do more. no real attachment to a race because in two rounds they are gone anyways. Never feel like i accomplished anything after playing. i love the taking of land from others and they back to me. that look you give them when they took your land of revenge! but at the end of the game i feel hollow like i wish more could be done.

I am hoping others can help me and maybe show me ways of making the experience better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing we say can make this game better for you, maybe it's not just a game that you like. You would not be the first one, trust me.

The only thing we can tell you is to maybe look at the TableTop episode of Small World and ask yourself if the episode seems more fun than your experience with the game. Does it look more fun? Maybe you'll find some rules you've played wrong?

Because if you played the rules right and see that the game is nothing for you when watching that video, then that game is simply not for you.

And that is perfectly fine, there are other games out there that will steal your heart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Small World just might not be exactly the game that you want it to be. It is supposed to be cramped, and I don't think it was designed to have a grand accomplishment at the end. But that's fine, because it's still a fun game.

This doesn't address your specific concerns, but in my opinion, one of the best things for adding something extra to Small World is the Small World: Tales and Legends expansion. It adds a random event each turn after the first that can severely throw a monkey wrench into the best laid plans. Some events are good, and some events are horribly, horribly bad, but they are all fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
The game feels cramped.

That's by design. Hell, it's literally the name of the game. Small world. It's intended to force people into direct conflict over the limited space.

Quote:
I always feel like i want to do more.

That's one of the hallmarks of a good game. Games are about decisions, and decisions without costs aren't really decisions. Your feeling that you always want to do more is because you're experiencing the opportunity cost of the decisions you've made.

Quote:
no real attachment to a race because in two rounds they are gone anyways.

This is also by design in this game. If that's something you want, you should probably look elsewhere. There are plenty of highly thematic war games out there where you can get really invested in the race you're controlling. One thing to be aware of, though, is that those sorts of games tend to take a long time (2-3 hours is not uncommon, and for some of them that would actually be rather short) I'd recommend taking a look at Rune Wars.

Quote:
Never feel like i accomplished anything after playing. i love the taking of land from others and they back to me. that look you give them when they took your land of revenge! but at the end of the game i feel hollow like i wish more could be done.

It definitely sounds like you might enjoy a heavier instead. Small World is a very light game. Besides Rune Wars, you might also look into War of the Ring (Second Edition) (two-player only), Eclipse, Rune Wars, or even Axis & Allies. If you're not averse to a game that will take you the better part of a day to play, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is simply the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World is a pretty straight forward game. The fun factor is the special ability and race combinations which change the strategy slightly with each game.

If you want to add more to it, consider picking up the Tales and Legends expansion. It can add some interesting twists to the game. I'm sure Realms also adds a lot to the game, but I've not played it.

Edit: I suppose it's appropriate that someone name NinjaMike ninja beat me to suggesting Tales and Legends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like you don't get satisfaction from the game because you don't feel invested in the race. If someone kills a bunch of your guys, so what, you'll just go into decline and start another. So maybe Small World isn't the game you're really looking for.

I concur with user Asmor's post (2 above), though those are rather long.

For shorter games, you might also look at:
Cosmic Encounter Special player powers. Lots of back and forth attacks.
Chaos in the Old World Risk-like, special player powers.
Nexus Ops Different type of units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
shallowz wrote:

That's one of the hallmarks of a good game. Games are about decisions, and decisions without costs aren't really decisions. Your feeling that you always want to do more is because you're experiencing the opportunity cost of the decisions you've made.

No, what the OP meant, and what I've experienced as well, is that there isn't much to do in the game other than direct capture of a region just by sheer numbers and that's it. There's nothing else to the game than gaining the right regions just to collect points. I would want more complexity with more events taking place so there are more actions you can take.

Asmor wrote:
shallowz wrote:

This is also by design in this game. If that's something you want, you should probably look elsewhere. There are plenty of highly thematic war games out there where you can get really invested in the race you're controlling. One thing to be aware of, though, is that those sorts of games tend to take a long time (2-3 hours is not uncommon, and for some of them that would actually be rather short) I'd recommend taking a look at Rune Wars.

I felt this way too. When you've come to play more complex and longer games, you'd want your work, acquiring regions with your chosen race in this case, to have a longer laster effect. I understand that the ability to have only 2 races out on the board is designed to force players to make a decision when to give up an inactive race to acquire a new one, but it seems like such a lost to give them and their occupied regions up, as if it was just wasted effect. The troops have become expendable pawns that you use instead of allowing you to be part of the game with them.

Asmor wrote:
shallowz wrote:
Never feel like i accomplished anything after playing. i love the taking of land from others and they back to me. that look you give them when they took your land of revenge! but at the end of the game i feel hollow like i wish more could be done.

It definitely sounds like you might enjoy a heavier instead. Small World is a very light game. Besides Rune Wars, you might also look into War of the Ring (Second Edition) (two-player only), Eclipse, Rune Wars, or even Axis & Allies. If you're not averse to a game that will take you the better part of a day to play, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is simply the best.

I agree that this is meant to be a light family game, so it should be regarded in that light. It's a great game that fits that niche of the board gaming market. But not all games are for everyone so, if you're not into light family games, then this probably won't scratch your itch.

Question for the OP, with how many players did you play the game?

The first few games of Small World I played were only 2-player games and that really fell flat. Then I was able to play with more players and the game then became more engaging. It's still the same game, but more players create more interaction and conflict, and that really helps to push the game to a different level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
before others think i am trying to down grade the game or say it is awful or i am hinting this game just sucks. i am NOT saying that. I just know so many people love the game and it has a big following. this is the only game i own where i just cant put my finger on the missing part for ME.

My thinking was well if i have this feelings others must and i wanted to see what those people thought and how they might have fixed it.

please please please please dont think i am dissing the game or those of you who love the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
shallowz wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The feeling of wanting to do more is not in the way of other games where you get done and your trying to figure out ways to beat it. I meant it in a way like i would i could have explored further before switching monster, or would be cool to take more land, or play a couple more rounds with this set class.

rune wars, war of the ring, etc look boring to me and way to long they hold no interest at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to answer another we have played mostly as 2 player.

Has any one tried the idea of playing on the larger 4 player board. Then each person can substitute something for double there pieces meaning instead of 10 giants but have 20 or what ever?

where you get those other pieces i don't know coins or whatever or using pieces from another small world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt that there was something missing when I first started playing this game as well. I kept on playing it and bringing it to the table despite my wife's dismissal of the game (she bought it for me as a gift so I guilted her to play with me that way).

The game started feeling samey as the same races kept cycling back game after game. So I decided to try the expansions and bought Cursed, Dames, and Be Not Afraid all at once. This added variety of races and powers gave something to the game. It made playing it more interesting. My wife even admitted that it was growing on her. I started keeping my races active for more turns than I previously had done and my scores were getting better.

For what it's worth, this added variety really seemed to improve the game. I will always keep the game because I see my kids playing it with me when they get older, and I think that it will keep us entertained for decades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played on all four of the provided boards. Each of them gives you the same cramped feeling for that particular number of players because it is supposed to do that. And I would highly recommend AGAINST doubling the token count for a race. Doing so would offset the balance of power significantly and give the first players a greater advantage bc they would get a foot hold before the others.

I suppose if you're saying you want to try playing two players on the four player board that actually might work...give it a shot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More race/powers also helps especially if you play a lot of 4/5 player games as the races cycle towards the end.

Playing on a larger map with less players will distort some of the powers and make people less incline to attack.

It sounds like the piece you are missing is complete feeling after conquest (or seeing the finish product after building something so grand) as the game ends kind of abruptly with a shameless point grab during the last round with no real tactical sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
I suppose if you're saying you want to try playing two players on the four player board that actually might work...give it a shot!

My wife and I do this regularly. It's a good casual play variant. Much less combat, though it's not completely avoided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
to answer another we have played mostly as 2 player.

Has any one tried the idea of playing on the larger 4 player board. Then each person can substitute something for double there pieces meaning instead of 10 giants but have 20 or what ever?

where you get those other pieces i don't know coins or whatever or using pieces from another small world

I think that would make the game worse if you already think not enough is happening in the game.

It will open up the game board to spread out and help with that "cramped" feeling if you really don't like that and if you want to avoid play conflict.

But like I said, even after only a couple of initial games, 2-player games were nothing more than ho-hum after the newness of the impressive components wore off. It wasn't until I tried a 3 and then 4 player game and then the game become more interesting--it's not so much about the game mechanics, but the player interaction.

It's still a light game that doesn't scratch my itch of more in-depth games, but I finally understood that the whole point of the game, and why it's called "Small World". There is not enough space for everyone and you have to engage in conflict and capture other people's areas and that's really when the game starts to shine.

If you take out that conflict and player interaction, then it's just laying counters onto the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was never thinking that limiting the player conflict would make it better. I think that is the great part. I enjoy people pointing out it is called small world. Yes i understand that, it is all relative. if the game had a 100 sections it could still be called small world. If it really wanted to be small why not narrow it down to 4 sections. (being a smart ass)

Not trying to make it a rant sorry if for some reason this seems to be that way. Just stiting down with a a Left Hand beer and thinking thoughts to those who love the game and wanted thoughts. This game does have a risk type feel to it. I liked the idea of risk hated the game as a kid. This game has made me laugh and enjoyed watching others giggle with anger as you take his or her spaces. that is the real joy of the game. Not looking to get ride of it. It will stay in my small collection. Just asking if others had this feeling and things they did. Forking out anouther 60+ for expansions did not seem like the best idea. Only one has said that it helped him or her to enjoy the game. didnt know if others had that feeling and felt this one expansion reallyed helped fix that feeling or a house style play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
if the game had a 100 sections it could still be called small world. If it really wanted to be small why not narrow it down to 4 sections. (being a smart ass)
Well, King of Tokyo narrows it down to 1.

shallowz wrote:
Just stiting down with a a Left Hand beer...
Hope you brought enough for everybody! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
I was never thinking that limiting the player conflict would make it better. I think that is the great part. I enjoy people pointing out it is called small world. Yes i understand that, it is all relative. if the game had a 100 sections it could still be called small world. If it really wanted to be small why not narrow it down to 4 sections. (being a smart ass)

Not trying to make it a rant sorry if for some reason this seems to be that way. Just stiting down with a a Left Hand beer and thinking thoughts to those who love the game and wanted thoughts. This game does have a risk type feel to it. I liked the idea of risk hated the game as a kid. This game has made me laugh and enjoyed watching others giggle with anger as you take his or her spaces. that is the real joy of the game. Not looking to get ride of it. It will stay in my small collection. Just asking if others had this feeling and things they did. Forking out anouther 60+ for expansions did not seem like the best idea. Only one has said that it helped him or her to enjoy the game. didnt know if others had that feeling and felt this one expansion reallyed helped fix that feeling or a house style play.

Expansions help
creating your own custom races & powers helps
***IF***
what you feel is lacking is variety. My family plays with over 60 races now and part of the fun is seeing which rarely (if ever) seen race is coming up next. People want to be the first to try them out and see what they can do. Star pairing this with dozens of different powers and every game becomes a wild concoction of different combos and has made Small World my family's favorite game as they all look forward to what new items we have each session.

But as you said your complaint was not getting to spend enough time with a race, this direction may not be best for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
Just sitting down with a a Left Hand beer and thinking thoughts to those who love the game and wanted thoughts.

Mmmmm... Left Hand Brewery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I sort of like going through 16 rounds and just burning off more of the races/classes/species/whatever. I'm sort of more into simpler games rather than the super heavies. For me, also, I just sort of like looking at how the tiny "world" is evolving.

It helps to role-play EVERYTHING.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand the feeling of lack of connection to your army, but either you're looking for something that this game just doesn't provide, or you're just not looking at the game the right way.

Small World is an are control game, but it certainly has a different mechanism than usual. You're not just battling with one army to take over the other army, you're looking at a big picture, weighing pro's and con's. You're looking ahead at race combo's that may give you a bigger edge than sticking with your current one. You're looking for combo's of races that could take a lot and turtle for points as you move onto something else.

That is what the game is, and if you'd rather have that feeling of building one army up, and growing something, then you should look at more traditional area-control games, like chockle suggested:

chockle wrote:
Sounds to me like you don't get satisfaction from the game because you don't feel invested in the race. If someone kills a bunch of your guys, so what, you'll just go into decline and start another. So maybe Small World isn't the game you're really looking for.

Chaos in the Old World Risk-like, special player powers.
Nexus Ops Different type of units.

Small World has a unique strategy to it, it's less static than these other games, and that's what I enjoy about it. It's all about looking at short term tactics where-as traditional area control games are about looking way ahead at long term strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.