Lem Tohver
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We are playing the two player France/Prussia scenario and I have placed this private company's marker in Berlin in which I have no RR tokens, but my opponent has 2 of his RR's tokens and I would just like clarification on this company's ability.

As per the applicable rule from "Star Harbor Trading Company": "Tokens of other RR's in this city do not block the owning RR's trains and they do not collect revenue from this city."

My interpretations of this is: Only those RR's that have a token in the city cannot collect revenue from the city from any of their train runs. Thus those who do not have tokens therein, Nationals and the RR this private's marker is assigned to all can collect revenue from the city.

Is this correct because in a two player game, this is quite the "Atomic Bomb" for a Metropolis city.

Thanks in advance for answering this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. the "they" refers to the company that the Star Harbor/Central Circle is assigned to.

Companies with tokens in Berlin continue to collect revenue. Companies without any tokens in Berlin (including nationals) also collect revenue normally. Only the company with the Star Harbor/Central Circle token does not collect revenue from the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lem Tohver
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
But that is not what the sentence says. The beginning of the sentence refers to "other RR's" and since "they" is a plural reference word, I don't see how your response is correct in applying to the placing RR company which is an individual company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take is that "they" refers to both the Star Harbor and Central Circle. I agree the grammar choice is poor, but I've never seen it played the way you are suggesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmy's interpretation is correct as far as I know. I believe Mark has clarified this previously. It seems kind of an obvious thing that the port token wouldn't suddenly void all revenue for companies with tokens in that city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Jimmy's interpretation is correct as far as I know. I believe Mark has clarified this previously. It seems kind of an obvious thing that the port token wouldn't suddenly void all revenue for companies with tokens in that city.

Jimmy's interpretation is correct. To both Rick and I, it did seem obvious as well - but I can't argue that it could be interpreted the other way.

Regardless, in another thread (Steve Thomas' thread of edge-case rules questions), I settled on a ruling for both Star Harbor and Central Circle:

The SH and CC tokens may NOT be played in a Metropolis.

It never occurred to any of the playtesters (myself included) to use it to bypass one of the most valuable cities in the game! Despite theoretical proof that it could be advantageous to do so, too many wacky situations (such as the one above) result from one of these tokens being placed in a Metropolis.

It would require several paragraphs of rules to deal with it any other way, so the K.I.S.S. principle is being aggressively applied

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, is that specifically to make it more difficult to make an OE connection early? Are there other specific cases you would care to mention that lead to the decision?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Vahlenkamp
Germany
Huerth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
litebrite wrote:

As per the applicable rule from "Star Harbor Trading Company": "Tokens of other RR's in this city do not block the owning RR's trains and they do not collect revenue from this city."

This "they" refers to the trains of the company, that uses the CC or SH-tokens. These trains run througt the tokened city and do not count any revenue (and do not count against the train-distance).

Dirk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lem Tohver
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for clarifying and correcting me on this. I can be a very literal rules interpreter at times and here was one instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Mark, is that specifically to make it more difficult to make an OE connection early? Are there other specific cases you would care to mention that lead to the decision?

JR,

Not by a long shot. I'd read this thread to get a better sense of why:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1168642/miscellaneous-ru...

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.