Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Australia
Greenmount
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Firstly, Apologies for being daft. I just can't understand how to tell who won the game.

I have the Family Game America version and the objective is stated as "To position all of your buildings within the perimeter walls while preventing your opponent from doing the same."

From this, I would guess that the person who ends with the MOST buildings on the board would be deemed a better player, but according to the winning conditions: "the player whose buildings take up the least number of squares on the board wins the game." I take this to means, count up the sizes of all the buildings of the board (i.e, the Manor has a footprint of 5, the Tavern 1) and who has the lowest number is the victor...which seems in opposition to the stated objective. (And I assume controlled territory with no buildings on it is not included in the tally, only the actual building spaces.)

Am I not understanding it correctly?

From a few trial plays, this would seem to penalise the person who surrounds another player, thus causing their piece to be returned, thus lowering their footprint on the board.

Also, just to check, the end of game is when "The game ends when no further moves can be made by either player." So, even if one player has plenty of valid moves remaining, if the other play has none then the game ends? (I suppose this is logical.)

Again, apologies. I am sure these points would make themselves clear if I think about it further or mess around with the pieces a bit more, but a nudge in the right direction would be great.
Many thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You add up the footprint of the buildings you couldn't place (manor=5, tavern=1, just like you guessed). Lowest amount unplaced wins. So if you place all your buildings, you get a score of 0, and win (or tie if your opponent does the same).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you said the game ends when either player can make no further moves.

It sounds like you are counting the pieces on the board at the end of the game, which is incorrect.

The key to the victory conditions is counting the pieces that are NOT on the board. The player with unplaced pieces that would occupy the most spaces on the board is the loser. The player with the least number of unplaced pieces is the person that occupies or controls the most spaces on the board.

From the rules: The winner is the player who succeeds in placing all his buildings within the city while preventing his opponent from doing so. If neither player succeeds in doing this then the player whose unplaced buildings would occupy the least number of squares is the winner otherwise the result is a draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordofscones wrote:
according to the winning conditions: "the player whose buildings take up the least number of squares on the board wins the game."

If it says literally that, then indeed it sounds like bad rule editing. You are right that of course the intent is to cover more squares with your buildings, not fewer. (Just as in Blokus, Callisto, and various other similar games.)

E.g. see the rules at this Cathedral site:
http://www.cathedral-game.co.nz/play.htm
"If neither player succeeds in doing this then the player whose unplaced buildings would occupy the least number of squares is the winner"

==

About "The game ends when no further moves can be made by either player." - I hate that kind of confusing/ambiguous sentence in rules.

I think the intent is that when both players have no more moves, play stops. I.e. if a player can move, then play continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Australia
Greenmount
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb

Yes, the rules in quotes I pasted were copied directly from the rules at Family Games America's website, which are the same as included in the box.

Thanks everyone above for all these helpful replies.
Thanks, I can now play the game. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laz Greys
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
It's like wmshub said.

Both players do the following steps with the pieces that they're left with: Grab the buildings that you weren't able to place. Then, count the number of spaces that those buildings would've occupied. The player with the least amount of spaces, wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.